Author Topic: Carb Cycling?  (Read 5471 times)

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Carb Cycling?
« on: June 21, 2011, 01:55:06 pm »
Carb Cycling, who's done it?  Did it work?  Did you gain Muscle?  How did it make you feel?

I was thinking of trying carb cycling for fat loss/muscle gain.  I heard Randy Roach talk about it in a radio interview but he didn't give specifics.

I was thinking two Zero Carb days a week(non-consecutive).  One unlimited carb day per week, and four low carb days a week.  How low do you think low carb days should be?
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Carb Cycling?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:14:44 pm »
That's similar to the anabolic diet which is supposedly pretty good for strength gains.  You eat very low carb all week and high carb(he says 60% carbs is best) on the weekends.  If you want you can give me your email and I can give you a pdf copy of the book.

Offline Broderick5

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 01:57:39 am »
Hi,..
Carb cycling is a powerful tool for weight loss. Combining the benefits of a low carb diet plan with periodic days of carb loading is one of the most effective ways to lose weight and keep it off.
regards,..
Prince

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 03:57:41 am »
http://www.emascc.com/downloads/The%20Ketogenic%20Diet%20by%20Lyle%20McDonald.pdf

Great book. Seems to have a lot of insights about low carb. e.g. eat at least 150g protein for the first 3 weeks on zero carb, then you can reduce it to 50g.

Explains a few things for me.

I don't quite understand how anaerobic performance is necessarily reduced so much by zero carb/standard ketogenic diet. Surely the inuit would have done a large amount of anaerobic exercise hunting?

Opinions on here seem divided about whether sprint fitness is necessarily affected or not.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:31:42 am by Josh »

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 08:45:37 am »
I too found it a good read.
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk