Author Topic: Transition from raw vegan, any advice appreciated :)  (Read 6449 times)

Offline txacoli

• Forager
    • View Profile
Transition from raw vegan, any advice appreciated :)
« on: July 18, 2011, 10:32:05 pm »
Hello everybody,

Here's a little background of my eating so you know where I'm coming from, I'll try to keep it short.
I was raised on a healthier version of SAD diet and was a pretty strong child, although not perfectly healthy, frequent throat infections, lot of antibiotics treatment. During college years I ate a lot of junk accompanied by ample quantities of beer. After getting almost clinically obese, I realized I needed to change something and after reading the China study, decided to become vegan. I was a vegan on and off for about two years, still drinking a lot of beer, and managed to lose a lot of weight and then I got a massive wake up call - psoriasis. I've suffered all my life from some form of candida and I think psoriasis is heavily connected to it as well. After googling a little, I saw many promises of clearing psoriasis effortlessly with raw vegan diet.

I transitioned to it cold turkey, starting with a fast and cleansing program. Patches began improving immediately and I was exhilarated. I was eating fairly high fat raw vegan diet for 2 months, with occasional raw salmon. My condition was improving but it seemed to go so slow and plateauing often. I then read about the 80-10-10 raw vegan approach, reasoning that the candida cause is fat and not sugar. I was willing to give it a try and did it for about 10 days, and sure enough I got almost completely clear of psoriasis in such a short time! I was counting calories so I could meet my needs and I wasn't feeling hungry, just unsatisfied and fed up with fruit. I started craving fatty foods like crazy, but I didn't crave junk or cooked meals, I started craving raw red meat and was totally salivating at the idea of it.

So I decided to listen to my body and incorporate some raw animal products into my diet. I also read the lipase enzymes are doing wonders for psoriasis and people used to treat it with raw butter. With no quality meat available on a short notice, I started incorporating raw goat milk. I have a neighbor with two wonderful grass-fed goats and I get the milk while it's still warm right after milking them :) On the first day I drank half a quart (half a liter) of it and the very next day my skin was visibly better. I got in contact with local hunters and will be buying some local venison meat from people I know and trust, the only thing is, it will have been frozen, is that good enough? I know I can get totally fresh meat when somebody makes a kill hunting, but they don't hunt often so it can be a month or more until then. I also have access to fresh wild fish (my father used to be a fisherman and he can hook me up).

My dilemma is the fat % in the diet. After having such great success with high carb low fat, I'm afraid that upping my fat intake will cause my healing to stop. I do eat mono meals, so I don't mix carbs and fats. It's summer here and it still makes a lot of sense to have fruits in season as a staple of my diet and maybe transition into a higher fat diet in the winter. What are your thoughts on this? I've been reading a lot and there are convincing arguments for both high fat/low carb and high carb/low fat approach, but I would like to find a moderate ratio between carbs and fats, does anybody else have some experience with this?

Other than healing my psoriasis, my goals are improving my immune system, enhancing overall health and get my sixpack showing (last few pounds to lose).

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post and for your comments.

Cheers!

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Transition from raw vegan, any advice appreciated :)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 10:34:33 pm »
Follow your taste buds and smell.
Take it slow.
Experiment with one food at a time and from different sources.
You've seen http://eczemacure.info ?
The latest featured cure story is Luke who cured his psoriasis.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline txacoli

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 10:42:48 pm »
Yes! I visit eczemacure.info regularly, it was a great source of info and also inspired me to go frutarian in the first place. I also read you added raw meat and upped your fat intake, how did that go for you? What's your % of fat in the diet now??

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 10:49:31 pm »
I don't count calories.

Over the years I've followed my instincts and gone really high fat and really low carb.  Lately I'm more of on the both high fat and high carb with the addition of raw wild honey in my lemonades and I love the high everything warming sensation I get lately and the weight gain.

I am definitely NOT on high carb - low fat as that gives me hypo-glycemic symptoms.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline micelte

• Egg Thief
  • Natural Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 07:38:35 am »
Just like you I was LFRV for 3 years+. I was glad to be able to gain 3/4 kgs and muscles after incorporating raw animal foods but lately I saw some of their limits: they are very addictive, and after some time I started to increase their amount and saw my health decline, I believe not just because of the amount of fat but also because of the excess of proteins. So just beware :)

Offline txacoli

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:48:46 am »
I will have to increase my fat and protein intake bit by bit and see how I'm doing. I'll definitely report back my progress, for now I'm doing better, but it's still too early to say anything, however, I feel much more satisfied even though I eat animal products for only one meal daily. Thanks for your comments, feel free to add anything :)

Offline micelte

• Egg Thief
  • Natural Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 12:20:54 pm »
On my side my body was really and obviously needing some elements that can only be found in animal products, and I am not really sure what. So there was a time where I could happily increase them. But I now sensed there is the time to put a break as my body is showing the negative aspects of them. My advice is: keep them as far as possible from sugars. Try to monomeal them always, like any other food intake, knowing I would wait at least 3 or 4 hours before eating anything else after a meal of meat or fish. Best is I think is to eat them at dinner, 3 hours before going to bed, and not eat anything else till the next day...

Offline txacoli

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 04:41:09 pm »
This is what I did at first, the last meal of the day was the animal one. I always do mono meals, except for banana/vegetable smoothies. I had some elimination problems when I started adding animal products, but it might have been just the adjusting period. Then, by accident, I had my animal meal first thing in the morning. I felt great all day, energy levels were awesome (I do take a little nap after the animal meal - about an hour) and I felt satiated for at least 4 or 5 hours and then proceeded with my first mono fruit meal. I didn't crave fatty food at all for the rest of the day. The next day my elimination was great and I noticed my stomach was flatter. I also noticed that after eating an animal meal first, I don't have any problems eating up to 400 or 500 calories in fruit, the volume would be really hard to down in one sitting before. So I googled it and came up with this:

http://healthmad.com/nutrition/when-you-eat-a-high-fat-meal-is-important-2/
http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v34/n11/full/ijo201063a.html

So I'm giving it a try like this. I eat about 350 kcal animal meal, 150-180 kcal come from fat, the protein intake is anywhere from 20-30g, sometimes a little more, depending on the food. After getting genuinely hungry, I proceed with the fruit and vegetables mono meals to reach 1500-1800 kcal. Sometimes, not every day, I'll have a glass of raw goat milk as my afternoon snack, or as the last meal of the day.
After a couple of days eating like this and exercising as usual, I noticed more tone to my muscles and it seems I lost a little body fat, I gained a pound (half a kg). I'll keep doing this to see how I feel, my fat intake target is 10-15% of total calories, and protein shouldn't exceed that as well. The skin is still improving, all that's left of my psoriasis is hypo-pigmentation.

I'm glad to hear your side as well, because most of the testimonies relate to really high fat diets.

Offline micelte

• Egg Thief
  • Natural Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 06:34:06 pm »
Thanks for sharing this, very interesting. I am quite curious about how you will be feeling in a few weeks and in a couple months, and I will follow this thread for sure if you are OK to keep posting updates! I guess on my side I got some sort of addiction to meat and was not paying enough attention to the important parameters - amounts of fat and proteins. Taking your approach and limiting the amounts in a more calculated way is probably the way to go! As for choosing morning or evening for the animal meal, well, I think it is much less important than waiting for true hunger (as long as more than 3 or 4 hours) afterwards!

Offline txacoli

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 05:34:48 pm »
Here's a little update. I seem to have gone a little overboard with the fats, taking as much as 20% of the calories from fat and I notice my skin started worsening, some scaling began again on my psoriasis spots, very little though. Big elimination and energy problems too. I can't seem to get enough sleep, no matter how long I sleep I can't get up and I've been going to bed early.
I'm going back to low fat, I will keep the animal products and just keep the fat to the minimum, max 10 % and see how I do.
The good news is I got a call from a hunter today, he made a kill and I'm getting my fresh meat today. He'll sell me venison loin (I think, I'm not sure about the english term) so I'll be making some carpaccio tomorrow :D
I was secretly hoping I could up my fat intake without consequences, but I guess not, maybe at a later time when I'm more healthy. I don't know anymore, I've become so sensitive to different "foods" I get a reaction immediately every time I "slip" at a social occasion and so on. I had some pasta the other day, I've never regretted eating something so badly, the itching was terrible. I guess I had to experience that to remind myself why I'm doing this :)

Offline txacoli

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 12:45:32 am »
I got my meat :) Had some immediately, just the way it was and it was delicious!

Offline micelte

• Egg Thief
  • Natural Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 09:36:00 am »
Thanks for your post... It reminds me a lot about my own evolution after I reintroduced animal produce: I started slowly and with small quantities, and then increased little by little, until I could get the "perfect meat" - game meat, but only in large quantities. At that time I over-consumed meat and realized the issues linked with too much protein/purine and fat, and now I am at this point where I am questioning my "instinct" and the way it attracted me to meat. I definitely feel I will keep animal food in my diet, but in very low quantities: once a week, for a dinner, seems like it will be the right balance for me... Thanks for posting your personal updates. I am interested in how it will unfold for you! Get some sleep and keep observing your body!

Offline txacoli

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 04:47:21 pm »
There is really a lot of protein in the venison meat, so I'll be careful. I didn't get a large quantity though, about a kilo (2 pounds) and I'll be eating 80-100 grams per meal, about 2-3 times a week. I'll be skipping other animal products on those days. I also decided to limit the goat milk on 1 cup per day (250 ml), my friend will give me some kefir yeasts, so I'll make some raw goat kefir. I feel like I'm very close in finding balance, I'll post my progress here. Thanks for your support and interest!

Offline micelte

• Egg Thief
  • Natural Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 06:12:24 pm »
Thanks for your update, great to read you, and yes, if you can keep that rhythm you may have found the key!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk