Author Topic: Water purification  (Read 8767 times)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Water purification
« on: August 05, 2011, 09:51:48 pm »
Our tapwater is gross! I used to live near a spring in northern Canada and had wonderful water but since moving to the city I cannot drink the water.

I noticed a local store selling filtration systems such as reverse osmosis etc http://santevia.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=126-osteoporosis-dr-tom-gilhooly&catid=48-in-the-news&Itemid=232

At their site there was a reference to osteoporosis/alkaline water.

What think ye?
Cheers
Al

CitrusHigh

Re: Water purification
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 06:17:31 am »
RO water is too pure, it will suck minerals out of your body as it makes it's way through your system. The best would be to buy spring water or well water from the cleanest source you can find.

Offline Domitilla

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 09:21:13 pm »
Our tapwater is gross! I used to live near a spring in northern Canada and had wonderful water but since moving to the city I cannot drink the water......

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 04:12:58 am »
What about buying reverse-osmosis (RO) water, which is admittedly too pure to drink as-is, and re-mineralizing it with either sea salt or clay? This is what Nora Gedgaudas recommends in her recent book Primal Body, Primal Mind.

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 04:42:12 am »
Berkey water filter knows the demineralization of RO therefore it doesn't sap minerals: http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 05:35:28 am »
I drink RO water,

What I do to offset the lack of minerals is to drink at least 3 cups of lemon water with an egg yolk each day.

I am fairly sure that an egg yolk with a squirt of lemon juice can replace most of the minerals that are filtered out. Its my paleo friendly gator-aid.

I have also been mixing a little coconut water diluted into a large glass of RO water as a refreshing drink to  recover from dehydration. One half cup coconut water too a whole cup of water, chase an egg yolk with it and instant hydration.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 09:29:03 am »
Thanks for spurring me to do some research (long overdue!) on water and it's varying structure.

Here's some interesting reading, some of it seems metaphysical, but there is some interesting ideas in there for everyone, even very linear thinkers.

http://www.spiritofmaat.com/feb11/water_structuring.pdf

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/01/29/dr-pollack-on-structured-water.aspx

http://www.kacha-stones.com/quartz_structures_water.htm

Obviously some of these sites are selling something, so keep that in mind, but some sites sell grassfed beef, so that's no reason to automatically discount it! Read with your free and critical thinking caps on!

http://www.naturesalternatives.com/lc/mikesell.html

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 05:59:21 pm »
There is a Japanese guy who wrote a book on water who says that the structure of water can be changed by blessing it with your own words or with the words of a monk of some variety or another.

This was covered in the movie What the Bleep do we know. I recommend the movie. It explains a bunch of things that are on the forefront of scientific thought.
Cheers
Al

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 08:18:19 pm »
There is also the documentary Water, The Great Mystery. You can watch it on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ZUe54fVHI

I found it fascinating. Not sure I believe everything in there, but then we should always approach pre-packeged ideology with healthy skepticism.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 10:42:29 pm »
Tks Eric
Cheers
Al

CitrusHigh

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 07:35:40 pm »
Thanks again Raw-al, I've learned soooo much from research due to you post!

This video I highly recommendo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVBEwn6iWOo

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 08:00:29 pm »
A number of years ago I was visiting my Vaidya (Ayurvedic Doctor) friend when he suggested I go to  meeting with him that he had been invited to. At the meeting there was a group of people who wanted him to know about this water purifier that they had been using for a number of years.

The people all had had very serious illnesses which I don't remember. (It was not important to memorize them at the time) The upshoot was that after drinking the water from this purifier their illnesses were eliminated in a not too long period of time.

One person there was selling the purifier but the rest were gathered there because the purifier had really changed their life. This wasn't about money as only one person had benefitted financially. They ended up giving the Vaidya one of the purifiers for him to try. He has been using it ever since and I don't think he has changed the filter...

Anyways that unit was very expensive, in the order of 600 to 700 dollars. The unit I bought looks very similar but was about 175 dollars (Canadian)

The water does taste less acidic, similar to the water from the Vaidya's purifier, although I haven't tested it.
Cheers
Al

CitrusHigh

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 12:49:04 am »

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 06:04:29 am »
I read the book, called "living energies" by Viktor Schauberger's, to understand the water. My dear husband always gifts me some great books to read. I highly suggest to all my paleo friend to read this.
bugs or country chickens

CitrusHigh

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 03:01:01 am »
Thanks raw for the recommendation, I'm downloading the book right now!

Eric Thanks soo much for the vid on water, I was riveted, what enormous implications for thoughts, behavior and attitude!

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 03:22:02 am »
I have to say that the water is a lot better tasting.
Cheers
Al

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 08:04:11 am »
Sorry for the major bump but i'm curious:

Does anyone know sources of Spring Water(that can be delivered) that are not in plastic jugs(worries of BPAs , Phtalades, etc) but are in glass or at least something non metal or non plastic?

CitrusHigh

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 08:25:39 am »
where are you located techy>?

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 09:09:37 am »
Not sure where you live but I think there may be somewhere on the net where you can find out the location of any local springs. Anyone know?
Spring water is usually nice. Local water authorities may know. Check out local dowser associations as they may be familiar. Governments typically have someone who is responsible for water sources for populations. A friend of mine does this in the Canadian federal gov't
Cheers
Al

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 09:52:33 am »
Im in the US , New York State, Specf New York City.

Is there like a directory of spring water locations, or sites with glass bottles for spring water, etc omg I wish this were all in one place. Finding all of this is stressful and confusing.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 07:56:22 pm »
Im in the US , New York State, Specf New York City.

Is there like a directory of spring water locations, or sites with glass bottles for spring water, etc omg I wish this were all in one place. Finding all of this is stressful and confusing.

http://www.findaspring.com/

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 06:16:12 am »
I want to know more about this idea of steeping a variety of rocks in the water. I'd think it would be easy to impart alkalinity to the water, but I would need to be convinced that short-term contact with various mineral rocks has the stated/suggested benefits. I've heard about using copper drinking cups, and I think that practice is for antimicrobial benefits and trace amounts of copper. I drink mineral water, usually Gerolsteiner, and that brand is alkaline.

I'm not a scientist. Is a system like Santevia legitimate, or mostly a good show?
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 07:20:17 am »
Regarding the copper, that is suggested in Ayurveda as a cleansing and possibly anti-fungal/bacteria and digestion boost. I find it way too strong as it aggravates Pitta probably due to some sort of acidity issue.

Regarding the rock, nothing scientific, as I had seen it previously in a earlier version of the water purifier. It was very expensive so I thought I would try my own version of it.

I have no idea what effects various rocks have on water, but I suspect somebody somewhere may.

I too like carbonated mineral water. The carbonation pacifies pitta.

If you know the Jyotish recommendation of the stones/gems which are appropo for you, then put them in the water container.

The Santevia system tastes good. I have no idea if it is scientifically proven for anything.

I remember years ago when I was visiting my friend who is a Vaidya, (Ayurvedic doctor) he invited me to go to see someone who was selling a filter system similar to the one I eventually bought. (He needed a drive and I had a car) The person selling it had assembled a group of people who were using the filter. These people all sincerely said that the water was like a Godsend. They were suffering from various serious illnesses and had experienced almost miracle cures from using the water. These people were not going to gain financially from lying as there were too many.
Te system uses
ceramic prefilter same idea as a wine filter
activated cocnut carbon charcoal
natural silica sand
volcanic zeolite  mineral granules
highly porous maifan stones
Bio-ceramic energy balls
mineral stones
and a spout with a magnet in it.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 07:22:50 am »
I accidentally posted before I finished.
They sell the filter separately as well as the minerals etc if you want to experiment.

They also have a alkalinity stick they sell that you can carry with you when you travel. Also a bunch of other stuff.
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk