Author Topic: Interesting Find  (Read 3069 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Interesting Find
« on: August 13, 2011, 03:41:25 am »
I just did a vague search online re finding info, and found this page on Joel Salatin. This guy espouses many of my own ideas re going "beyond organic" etc.. He recommends only buying local food, just like me. Too many rawists buy from large farms from a dozen States/counties away, and this only destroys the raw food movement over time:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_salatin
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Interesting Find
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 05:03:26 am »
He's the farmer referenced in Pollan's Omnivore Dilemma when speaking about sustainable small organic. Polyface has been a big inspiration/motivation to other small organic outfits as a result. The book helped bring the idea of rotational farming back to the forefront of progressive sustainable thinking on a larger scale.

I wanted to visit Polyface in the worst way after reading the book. I lucked out in that the farm I buy from has taken many of these ideas and modified/innovated to suit their specific situation. It's something else to see the simplicity yet efficiency at work when a farm is set up right. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 05:08:37 am »
The only problem is that Polyface farm still feeds their animals on grains to some extent.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 06:44:41 am »
The problem with the local farms that I have is that they do not yet cater to me as a consumer. They want to sell me animals by the whole, half, or quarter. They can't get brains, testicles or bone marrow. I can buy some grass-fed beef cuts, but they are priced much higher than buying out of state (shipping included). To get what I want as a consumer, I have no choice but to order from out-of-state. Hopefully, a local businessman will see the profit to be made in acting as a middleman between farmer and consumer, and sell different cuts locally. I have bought a quarter of beef in the past, and it was pretty cheap, but I ended up with cuts I didn't want and not enough of what I did want.

Just today I was talking about opening a butcher shop and basically being a middleman, selling nothing but grass-fed meats, pastured pork and free-range chickens and eggs, then expanding if business went well. I think I could do quite well with the right business model.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 02:57:03 am »
The only problem is that Polyface farm still feeds their animals on grains to some extent.
Are you talking about the corn that he puts on the floor/hay of the barn for the pigs in the winter?
Cheers
Al

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 04:22:18 am »
Are you talking about the corn that he puts on the floor/hay of the barn for the pigs in the winter?
I don't think it's just that.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk