Author Topic: Salami - and nitrate  (Read 10083 times)

Offline Sarav

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Salami - and nitrate
« on: October 02, 2008, 09:19:17 pm »
For IBS, i feel good to eat Salami - my only concern is nitrate issues.. not sure if we get additive/preservative free salami.. Also I dont know how far Salami (pork) is processed/ i guess it is least processed.. As I am from India this is new to me...

Has anybody with IBS experienced similar effects?

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Salami - and nitrate
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 11:44:57 pm »
I think they have salami or sausage....Check it out. ;)

http://www.uncurednaturalmeats.com

There are NO ADDED NITRATES or MSG, NO CORN SYRUP, NO LIQUID SMOKE, NO FILLERS, NO ANIMAL BY-PRODUCTS, NO PORK IN OR AROUND ANY OF the PRODUCTS.

Just beef, Himalayan sea salt, and spices
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 11:48:14 pm by Sully »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 12:12:39 am »
I'm surprised. Until now, I'd been under the impression that ALL salami had preservatives in it. The above must be one of the very tiny number of exceptions.

In short, don't touch salami as it 99.9% of the time contains harmful preservatives, and it's generally been preheated been presmoked  etc. My biggest mistake, on starting this diet, was the notion that smoked meats and things like salami or supermarket sushi (from farmed fish) were fine - the result was that I gained no benefits until I read Aajonus' book which made it clear that the meat had to be genuinely raw, grassfed, organic, preservative-free.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sarav

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 04:57:46 am »
thanks Sully for the link....

yes, TylerDurden I think I can avoid that...

Back in India the organic grass-fed meat is very difficult to get and I have been relying more on coconut cream and cook lightly the chicken, mutton etc.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 06:41:15 am »
thanks Sully for the link....

yes, TylerDurden I think I can avoid that...

Back in India the organic grass-fed meat is very difficult to get and I have been relying more on coconut cream and cook lightly the chicken, mutton etc.

Granted, I haven't a clue about India, but I would hazard a guess that, while there's no official organic-food industry in India yet(other than organic fruit and organic chicken(much like Italy), I suspect that, India being a developing country, is highly unlikely to have the kind of mass, intensively-farmed grainfed animals found in the US. I'm sure it's possible to find many small-time Indian farmers who simply can't afford to convert to official "organic" status and who, similiarly, can't afford to use growth-hormones/chemicals etc. or feed  their animals on grains, and who just let their animals graze on pasture all year round.

I've come across several  instances where some nonorganic farmers have actually provided me with much higher quality raw meats(re taste/nutrients) than I've had from organic, 100% grassfed farmers(an example being Italy, where I managed to find some excellent 100% grassfed raw horsemeat, which was not even labelled "free-range" or "naturally-reared", let alone "organic"(and it turned out to cost much less than the equivalent grainfed beef, kilo by kilo, because horsemeat isn't as popular).

Mutton should be fine, as sheep are generally fed higher amounts of grass(often 100%)  than cattle. Cook it as little as possible.

Re zero-carb:- I also failed at zero-carb when I tried it, and am a sceptic of such a diet.

Checking the adrenal burnout info on the web, it seems that not only does adrenal burnout make it more difficult to digest cooked animal food(one reason why it's a good idea to gradually edge towards raw as much as you can), but also, too many or too little carbs in one's diet is also recommended against.

(You may not like this, but I thought I should mention that I found it easier to digest meats when I aged them for a few days -high-meat was the easiest of all to digest). It's probably best, though, that you first get used to eating fresh, raw meats first!

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 07:07:27 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sarav

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 07:37:12 pm »
thanks TylerDurden... it makes a lot of sense... as you say I would look into the meat source and try...
((i am open to high meat too given my condition but I have to conceal it as my family may be not approve and would hinder me actively - they have issues with light cooking itself)

that makes sense -- adrenal burnout and cooked protein digestion.. thanks..

Offline Sarav

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 11:04:56 am »
Hi TylerDurden

I have been taking thyroid and adrenal supplements as you suggested... I feel good difference in terms of energy, clearing brainfog, depression...

thanks
Sarav

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 03:14:33 pm »
I think they have salami or sausage....Check it out. ;)

http://www.uncurednaturalmeats.com

There are NO ADDED NITRATES or MSG, NO CORN SYRUP, NO LIQUID SMOKE, NO FILLERS, NO ANIMAL BY-PRODUCTS, NO PORK IN OR AROUND ANY OF the PRODUCTS.

Just beef, Himalayan sea salt, and spices

Is there a good source for corned beef, pastrami and bacon?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 07:59:44 pm »
Hi TylerDurden

I have been taking thyroid and adrenal supplements as you suggested... I feel good difference in terms of energy, clearing brainfog, depression...

thanks
Sarav

Glad to hear it. That's the trouble with eating processed foods, the glands seem to be the worst affected by such diet, so that it's often necessary to supplement with raw glands as well as the usual raw meats/fats in order to get well.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sarav

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 11:45:40 pm »
That's the trouble with eating processed foods, the glands seem to be the worst affected by such diet, so that it's often necessary to supplement with raw glands as well as the usual raw meats/fats in order to get well.

I cannot agree more, TylerDurden... before this gland supplements, the improvement was not complete i would say, not to this degree... i used to despair, what more can be done..? now i find this gland connection is a vital link in improvement..

thanks for the good work, your experiences and advise is quite a help for people who are worse-affected like me...

Regards
Sarav

JaX

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 02:04:30 am »
Granted, I haven't a clue about India, but I would hazard a guess that, while there's no official organic-food industry in India yet(other than organic fruit and organic chicken(much like Italy), I suspect that, India being a developing country, is highly unlikely to have the kind of mass, intensively-farmed grainfed animals found in the US. I'm sure it's possible to find many small-time Indian farmers who simply can't afford to convert to official "organic" status and who, similiarly, can't afford to use growth-hormones/chemicals etc. or feed  their animals on grains, and who just let their animals graze on pasture all year round.

Italy does have an official organic food industry and a lot of certifying bodies. Italy is one of the most organic countries in Europe, and Italy is the country where most organic olive oil is produced (most organic olive oils available in the US are from Italy, certified by an Italian agency).

I also have no idea about the situation in India but a country where there aren't certified organic foods is often not industrialized enough and still has tons of small farmers who are more or less "traditional" in their way of raising the animals and their plants. Most unfortunately do use pesticides and take no precautions about safety limits.
I've also heard that the US has sold great amounts of GMO seeds to India
Best bet is to find a farmer nearby.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 07:31:45 pm »
Italy, according to online reports, only has 2% of its food-industry as organic - while this may seem like a lot, compared to some other countries, most of that organic food involves organic grains, which is useless for a rawpalaeodieter. Plus, most organic farms are situated in the south of Italy.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk