Author Topic: Link between bicycling and prostate/testicular problems?  (Read 10974 times)

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
Link between bicycling and prostate/testicular problems?
« on: September 11, 2011, 10:51:13 am »
Why is it that Lance Armstrong, an avid bicycler to say the least, got testicular cancer, ...of all cancers? How common is it for professional bicyclists to get some kind of cancer in that area around the prostate?

Any ways to help prevent such a problem?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Link between bicycling and prostate/testicular problems?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:15:20 pm »
The pressure of all one's weight bearing on the small wedge of a bicycle saddle is an issue for both sexes. There are accommodating bicycle saddles of various designs, and other approaches such as recumbent bicycles.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 06:12:00 am »
Seats nowadays have a slot in them to allow the vein in the pelvic floor to flow more freely.
Cheers
Al

Offline awesomeame

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 07:01:05 pm »
There are also bicycle shorts which have added padding for added comfort.  You can also use a skin lubricant (athlete grade) like Bodyglide which makes things more comfortable....most people think that pain from a bicycle seat comes from pressure, but it's actually friction.  I've had no problems with any pain after starting to use the Bodyglide and I ride almost daily.

I have no idea if there are any studies comparing diseases assocatied with cycling...

Matt

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 07:06:36 pm »
I bought the bike shorts and they are fantastic. They basically have a felt pad that acts like a friction absorber. Your legs are constantly moving up and down.
Cheers
Al

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 07:16:42 pm »
most people think that pain from a bicycle seat comes from pressure, but it's actually friction.

Of course you get pain from pressure... unless you only ride for a short time.. You're the same guy who couldn't eat beef heart right? Most people aren't so weak they can't handle some friction or some chewing. I never got any friction pain cycling but if I was cycling for a long enough time I would start to get pressure pain where the seat is compressing the blood vessels which feed the testicles. I stopped cycling for that reason.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 08:12:31 pm »
The pressure of all one's weight bearing on the small wedge of a bicycle saddle is an issue for both sexes. There are accommodating bicycle saddles of various designs, and other approaches such as recumbent bicycles.
Eve I recall reading that men should slope their seat differently than women. I think that men should slope the front up more, which is of course counterintuitive.

I personally put a sheepskin seat cover on my seat. A company in Toronto Canada makes them. They are so comfy!
Cheers
Al

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 10:17:32 am »
bharminder, to answer your question. Extremely rare. Now if your talking seats, and it's effect on blood flow and impotence. That's a different story! I There are a lot of seats that address this issue, so I wouldn't give up cycling anytime soon. Find a good seat, they usually have a whole or opening in the middle, to alleviate any pressure in that region.

Offline Wattlebird

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 11:08:59 am »
for what its worth, prolonged pressure on pelvic floor can - and often does - play a part in prostate conditions such as prostatitis and benign prostate enlargement.
Maintaining a sitting position with pressure isolated within a particular region can cause tension and inflammation in prostate.
In addition, some men also find to their amazement that squatting to defecate, as opposed to sitting on a toilet, has miraculously cleared up some prostate conditions. After sitting on toilet day after day, year after year, tension focuses on prostate, particularly because one tends to squeeze with pelvic floor. With squatting one uses upper thigh muscles and so tension and loading does not exacerbate or initiate prostate problems.
Some men also find that by doing inverted yoga poses such as headstand or shoulderstand regularly and chinning type movements, pressure on pelvic floor can also be reduced.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 09:35:57 pm »
Why is it that Lance Armstrong, an avid bicycler to say the least, got testicular cancer, ...of all cancers? How common is it for professional bicyclists to get some kind of cancer in that area around the prostate?

Any ways to help prevent such a problem?

Get those lycra bicycle pants with the thick felt pad in the crotch area. Spend the money on a good one. It's worth it.
Cheers
Al

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 04:15:53 pm »
^ Also a god seat. You don't want to forget that too. Bicycling is a great exercise for cardiovascular training (excellent for the heart).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk