Author Topic: Acculturation  (Read 6275 times)

Offline Hello Carnivore

• Forager
    • View Profile
Acculturation
« on: September 17, 2011, 05:44:35 am »
Hello. I remember Owsley "The Bear" Stanley saying that when people's mums feed their babies carbs it's called acculturation due to the natural human diet being composed of meat and anyone trying to break their acculturation will have a hard time doing so especially over a long period of time. So my first question is how long have you been carnivore and what has helped you break your acculturation? What helped Owsley Stanley, does anyone know?

After a year of going all meat I had to force myself to start eating carbs again due to cravings for them, so I'm having a hard time believing that Owsley did it for such a long time, 47 years. Thanks.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Acculturation
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 06:10:43 am »
    It might be different if you're all cooked, all raw or mixed.  How much fat do you eat?  Do you drink water?  Do you use any kind of salt?  Do you drink any coffee?  Do you use spices like Owsly did?

You must be really daring to have done all meat for a year before investigating how much fat versus protein etc.  Did you mean you got something with your kidney?  What do you mean about the carb craving now and forcing yourself?  How did the things you mention manifest, exact symptoms.  You likely have a very heavy load of vaccines if you were born in 1990.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Hello Carnivore

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 07:39:03 am »
What do vaccines have to do with anything?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 05:08:34 pm »
    You didn't answer anyone's posts from your previous thread.  I don't mean to insult you, that you likely have more preservatives and other toxins from many more vaccines on the schedule these days than in Owsley Stanley's time.  I know people with the same last four digits, the last four in numbers with the rest in letters in their e-mail address, 1990, or born 1991/1992 etc who seem to wind up doing a lot more work cleaning up from the aluminum, mercury, viruses that people born earlier than that when many many less vaccines were used and not so early in life.  I don't mean to insult by asking if you drink coffee and the rest, but you didn't put any post yourself into the welcome part, nor respond to the welcome in the only other thread.  Everything is a shot in the dark that I'm asking you, as you say little.  More people will respond when you make yourself more known.

Had you been trying all year to keep it 60:40, or did you hear about the 60:40 some time later?  The more any of the members of this forum know about your health history and diet, we may give answers faster that you might find supportive to your health, unless you're only a troll.  I don't see us jumping on this thread so far in droves.  This may be why, lack of info about you to know what to reply to you.

If you live in a hot humid, hot dry, cold climate etc this may affect how much dietary fat you need too or carbs.  I see you're in the US, is it generally cold or hot by you this past year? So, can you give any answers to anything?  I very seriously doubt Mr Stanley was lying, but who knew but him?  I wasn't in Australia.

Do you see ways eating zero carb possibly affects less tangible things like thinking or emotion so far?  I'm not zero carb, never for more than a few days at a time, but I went super low carb from vegan, the first week ate butter and both drank and ate nothing but, and it definitely affected my mind in a good way from the first meal of it.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Hello Carnivore

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 10:04:37 pm »
Eating low carb has had the best possible affect on my thinking and emotions. I was always super happy and good minded. I'm pretty sure it was from the ketones. The only problems were my sex drive and carb cravings. I had pretty bad dreams of eating chocolate at night.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 11:51:13 pm »
    Hmm sex and chocolate, people equate chocolate and love's effect on the brain oftentimes.  You think it made your sex drive too high or too low, if you don't mind.  Now I'm wondering if they're wrong and if it's sex or love that might be like chocolate or both.  Owesly was married, I don't know his whole history offhand though.

Offline Hello Carnivore

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 01:35:32 am »
Too low.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 11:08:59 pm »
For years as a vegan, raw, and eating raw animal foods I had dreams of 'bad foods' etc..often these were clearly foods that had very little nutrtion and were more often things I hadn't eaten in years or even decades even before those dietary changes. Now i'm one to belive in dietary cravings as possible* indicators of nutrtional needs but more inclined after experience to say that more likely these are some kind of physical/psychological processing - or to possibly lower my credibly - some kind of detox of such things on a physical level that gets processed in dreams.

The testosterone thing - being a more objective observation - would be more something to pay attention to but this could very well be transitional. There are so many criticisms against LC/ZC these days that one can seek out if they wish. You hear alot of this talk and often the people will admit to never going through what most people successful* have accepted as challanging transition periods. There is certainly alot of room for feeling crappy all around on such diets for long periods. I hate saying this, as this can possibly not be the case for the individual and there may be legitimate issues with the diet and also this logic can be used to support any diet like high fruit diets or veganism etc...

It does seem worth putting out that alot of people have "honeymoon" stories with LC then start getting into deeper conflicts that perhaps were always there and begin being sorted out on such a diet. Often when you look at what or how these naysayers were actually eating..this tells its own story too

Anyway. you could certainly hedge your bets by eating small ammounts of nutritionally dense carbs. Possibly adding more (but still low) after adjustment to reach the full benefits of such a diet and tweak other nutritonal needs. Most of the justifications that seem more solid - to me - for a mostly carb excluded diet seem to have to deal with healing a modern persons' problems rather than a diet we necessarily ate in nature that consisted of meat alone, but the precedents are certainly there especially for what mostly RAW diets are actually present in nature with others often being far more speculative actually. There does seem to be some legitimate arguments that we would not crave sweet foods at all had we weened and eaten very little processed sugars, and with very little natural sugars as to maintain that fat burning metabolism that truly - from my experience- does not have cravings or even many desires...at least on a extreme level that would mean going off a deep end of sorts. There does seem to be some tipping point in VLC/LC particularly with the types of carbs (sugary, cooked etc..) that WILL lead to more cravings and general desires where less palatable but equally high carb sources will not. GO FIGURE!?

Personally I imagine going from a standard diet to a RAW low carb diet would have been terribly difficult. going vegan actually seemed for me to be a huge component in shaving off certain foods and that seems to be the same for alot of other people. Adhering to a strict all raw diet at times seems often also necesary.

Generally, I think if someone is not able to eat a piece of fruit or some cooked starch here and there without some kind of localized binge or getting off track entirely on the diet, this shows some kind of physical/emtional 'acculturation' as you say to food, but this goes often particulary for sugar burning (even all raw) dieters as well. In fact this is so ubiquitous that its not really worth stressing about. If I can present an ideal it seems like after one is on a healthy diet generally they become emotionally stable and don't eat for pleasure or entertainment, but will eat for such on occasion as part of that balance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk