Author Topic: Lotus Root  (Read 4699 times)

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
Lotus Root
« on: September 28, 2011, 04:11:47 pm »
Anyone had any experiences with lotus root?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelumbo_nucifera#Uses

I tried some cooked and thought it might be a good veg to eat raw. Would probably be a good idea to drop it in hot water for a couple of seconds to kill the parasites mentioned.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: Lotus Root
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 04:20:14 pm »
No experience of it, but by dropping it in hot water (even for a couple of seconds only) will cook it on surface. We've got to know whether we want to eat all raw or not.

In soon 25 years of 100% raw nutrition, I never experienced any trouble from a parasite - of course, avoiding food from too polluted environment.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 04:22:54 pm »
I'm a bit wary of water borne parasites, sounds nasty. Who knows how our ancestors would have dealt with it, or if they would have avoided water roots?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 03:02:50 am »
Veggies are hard to digest. Lotus root in small amounts is probably ok raw. You'll probably have trouble digesting it, if you eat very much at one time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk