Author Topic: suet  (Read 3971 times)

Offline nicole

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
suet
« on: October 14, 2011, 04:54:48 am »
Is the texture of suet the same as beef back fat? i've heard its waxy, is that true?
Give it to us raw, and wriggling. You keep nasty chips.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: suet
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 05:00:59 am »
Is the texture of suet the same as beef back fat? i've heard its waxy, is that true?

Very different! It can be hard, dry and inedible or soft and creamy in the best case. It mainly depends on the breed, the age and the gender of the slaughtered animal. Always ask for female bovines! They deliver the most delicious fat.

Löwenherz

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 05:17:28 am »
Back fat is much better. In my opinion for taste. I prefer it over marrow even. Suet is dry, I had delicious lamb suet before though. And good bison suet. But prefer back fat over good suet.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 05:51:14 am »
The only g/f beef suet I could get stuck to the roof of my mouth when I tried to eat it. Back fat is a delicacy, I love chewing it and getting the butteriness to ooze out of the fat. My butcher throws it away! I get lamb and beef marrow so cheap - another "waste product" from the urban butcher.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 05:59:12 am »
I prefer back fat as well. I've had good bison suet, but in the order I put in through Northstar a few of the packages of bison suet were good and most were hard and dry like cattle suet.

On another note, if you want very high quality fat you might consider getting in touch with a local game processor. They generally cut the back fat off deer, elk, moose and other wild grazers and just throw it away, as hunters never want it. I asked a local processor if he'd save me the back fat from the deer and moose he processes, and he said sure. I drove out for the first pick-up earlier today, and returned home with about 100 pounds of clean back fat from wild whitetail deer and a few moose. I tasted some and it was far, far better than any cow or commercially raised bison fat I've ever had, whether back fat, suet or marrow. And this is just after the first two weeks of the season; we have another 2 months of hunting season left so there's much more prime back fat where this first load came from.

Offline nicole

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 11:21:36 am »
thanks everyone. Eric: I think i will definitely try that. Does hunting only take place during the fall?
Give it to us raw, and wriggling. You keep nasty chips.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 11:35:09 am »
For wild grazers and browsers (eld, deer, sheep, goats, moose, etc.) hunting seasons are generally in the fall around the animals' mating time. So where you're at, if you ask around among wild game processors you should easily be able to get back fat from whitetail and mule deer and perhaps some elk and maybe moose. Good luck!

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 10:03:05 pm »
I guess I'm alone in liking the dry crumbly suet. I like it because it's essentially tasteless and I can easy mix it with muscle meat and flavor it decently with spices or a sauce. Isn't the less oily it is mean the more saturated it is?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk