Author Topic: Jackfruit and Goat Meat  (Read 14479 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Jackfruit and Goat Meat
« on: October 20, 2011, 01:45:40 pm »
Saw it frozen at the Asian store. Never tried it so I gave it a go, along with some goat meat I never tried. The goat meat was good. Had some skin on it, lots of bones. The Jackfruit was ok. I am not the biggest fan of it though. I like durian much more. I don't think I would ever buy it again besides that first try. Def has a strong stop signal with me. I guess that's good. I know some people boil it. Not sure If my frozen one was boiled or raw.

Anyone have some experience to share on these two foods I tried?
The goat reminded me of Mutton,, adult sheep. Gamy goodness

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit and Goat Meat
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 02:45:45 pm »
Not sure If my frozen one was boiled or raw.
;D l)
Of course I have! But never frozen... it must be awful. Jackfruit (like most fruits) must be very ripe, even overripe to be good and there are different varieties. As every natural almost wild food, they are all different, so you can't judge by just one once in your life, moreover if it has been frozen!
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 02:52:25 pm »
;D l)Of course I have! But never frozen... it must be awful. Jackfruit (like most fruits) must be very ripe, even overripe to be good and there are different varieties. As every natural almost wild food, they are all different, so you can't judge by just one once in your life, moreover if it has been frozen!
Yeah I think it might have been boiled. It was packages like most meat in super markets is here. Styrofoam with plastic wrap over it. I thought the same Iguana, I want to try it fresh ripe and raw. Hopfully one day I can get it fresh and try it again. But the season is over. So I will wait til next year.

but it wasn't too bad, the smell made my room stink for a bit haha. Somehow, I like it though. Was unique, something new. They say juicy fruit gum got it's flavor from jackfruit.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 03:34:16 pm »
I like ripe, fresh Jackfruit. But more I love Cempedac. It is divine. :)
I have gotten it only from Orkos, the Instincto-webshop. Have never seen it elsewhere.
Wild Durian and Cempedac are my favorite fruits really. Wild Durian has almost no fruitflesh on it, but oh.. so amazing. :) I bet Iguana loves them and knows them both too!
Cempedac smells even stronger than Jackfruit, believe me.
I think I have to order some soon.. ;)

OK, I eat mostly carnivore but I will never say no to wild fruits. Ha. They also gives me no digestive troubles.

Goat meat I have eaten only cooked years ago when my parents had goats, but I liked it back then. Bet I would like it raw, much more!  :D

Inger

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 03:55:45 pm »
@Inger
Oh man I have to try that Cempedac. I don like the fact it's not local of course haha. But durian and jackfruit didn't give me any problems besides stinking up my house haha. And I have a good stop signal with them. I don't mind the smell, but others in my house do haha

So the cempedac is wild? Jackfruit too?

Aren't there domesticated varieties?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 05:45:12 pm »
    I had an accidental sliver of goat meat in a Filippino dish years ago, I think maybe the meat tasted like turkey.  I got raw small goat chops a few years ago, ate most and then made highmeat.  I don't remember the flavors.  I fed some goats a while back.  They smelled like food (lamb).

Was the jackfruit sweet? Tangy? Starchy? soft?  What color?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:21:56 pm »
The taste of goat is so good.

I'm buying a goat for slaughter today.  >D

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 12:44:26 am »
Saw it frozen at the Asian store. Never tried it so I gave it a go, along with some goat meat I never tried. The goat meat was good. Had some skin on it, lots of bones. The Jackfruit was ok. I am not the biggest fan of it though. I like durian much more. I don't think I would ever buy it again besides that first try. Def has a strong stop signal with me. I guess that's good. I know some people boil it. Not sure If my frozen one was boiled or raw.

Jack fruit is native in my country.  It should taste great if it is of good variety and ripeness.  It is a sweet fruit so there should be a stop signal.

The goats I get here in Manila are usually not fat, lacking in fat.  Skin is fat somewhat, although the skin is torched for ease of removal of hair.

Try goats kidneys... I and my son used to have a thing for them.  Put the goat brain in the refrigerator, when cold it tastes like premium ice cream. Break the bones, you can get some marrow in them.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 07:35:33 am »
 Was the jackfruit sweet? Tangy? Starchy? soft?  What color?
[/quote] The fruit flesh itself was sweet and pale to dark yellow in color. Kind of tangy, but not really. The texture was soft with chew to it.

Jackfruit Cleaning Instructions Excalibur Fruit Trees Palm Beach Rare Fruit Council

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 03:13:51 am »

@Inger
Oh man I have to try that Cempedac. I don like the fact it's not local of course haha.
It’s local if you live where it grows… that is where you should be living!

So the cempedac is wild? Jackfruit too?
Cempedak is wild and very ancient, hundreds millions years AFAIK. Jackfruit appeared a bit more recently, but the trees grow spontaneously, their seeds being spread by monkeys, apes and humans. There are plenty very big jackfruit trees almost all over the island in Sri Lanka.

Nice video showing the common way to open it. I was wondering how the monkeys deal with the latex since they have no oil, so I observed them eating one fallen on the ground. They wait till it’s very ripe, with plenty of those brown spots on the skin and then dig inside one large brown spots where the skin is easily broken bare hands. If it’s really ripe, there’s no latex anymore.

Thus, I adopted the monkey way :  it’s much better than using a knife because you eat to most ripe parts first and you can keep the remaining part intact with the skin on to preserve it and let it get riper.  ;)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 07:58:07 am »
I haven't tried Jackfruit but the goat I've had was delicious. Much more flavorful than the beef I'm used to. I definitely wish I had a good source for it.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline balancing-act

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 03:52:48 am »
I love jackfruit, but I concur that it's best when it's very, very ripe. Some jackfruits, I've noticed, just don't ripen properly. But if you get a good one it's one of the most nourishing/substantive fruits out there. Not fatty, like durian, but very dense and filling. Sort of tastes like a cross between pineapple and banana... but distinctly jackfruit. It's the world's biggest fruit, you know- sometimes up to 100 pounds.

Goat is on my "to try" list.
Interested in deep political matters? www.rigorousintuition.ca

Offline balancing-act

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 06:01:10 am »
My jackfruit is just... about ripe, and I bought some (ground goat), so I'll be reporting back to this thread in a couple days. I'm keeping expectations low with the goat. I've also got some ground lamb coming mail-order, and I'm psyched about that.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 11:51:51 am »
I want to buy Cempedac. Please, provide a picture please.
Jackfruit and goat, both of them are my most favorite. My childhood memories are still visibles , where huge jacfruit trees food forest all around of my grandma's home. What a moment!  I can do anything to get back my previous life.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 12:15:15 am »
I want to buy Cempedac. Please, provide a picture please.
Pictures of cempedaks

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 01:15:49 am »
Aren't these all tropical fruits? Makes me want to move.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 01:10:04 pm »
Thank you so much Iguana. I am really hungry now :P

where I can find them?

I don't mind to travel all around the world to find some exotic fruits. 
bugs or country chickens

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 04:37:24 pm »
I only once found cempedaks while traveling: it was at Nathon, Koh Samui island, Thailand. There was a whole pile of them front of a shop.

But in Europe you can order it from Orkos. They deliver in England, Germany, Austria, Belgium, France, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Netherlands.

Offline balancing-act

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 01:02:56 am »
Well, I patiently waited for my jackfruit to get really, really ripe, and eating it yesterday was, I kid you not, the most orgasmic eating experience of my existence. Wow. That stuff's awesome.

I've never had cempedak. It's very similar to jackfruit, huh? I've never had breadfruit, either. I am, though, a huge durian fan, despite only being able to get frozen ones here in the states. A lot of people dislike durian, but a lot of people are very confused.

Dorothy, you don't really have to move to the tropics. I order all my tropical fruit online, from places web sites Jourdan's Beautiful Food and Local Harvest. I'm not a local-fooder, personally; I don't see what the difference is. I can get the tropics shipped to me, so that's what I do. Otherwise, I'd move my entire self away from my family and friends just to eat the food I want- that seems much less natural.

Raw, where did you grow up with jackfruit trees all around? Lucky you...

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 02:49:05 am »
Cempedak is very similar to jackfruit but generally smaller and sweeter, more nourishing. If I'm not mistaken, it's the wild ancestor of jackfruit. Most people find it even better than jack, it's an absolute marvel. When I found a lot of them for the first time, in Koh Samui, I fed almost exclusively on it for all the remaining of my stay (just with some raw fish from time to time). At my return home, I was unable to find anything tasty: every food I found was bland and boring compared to cempedaks.   

In US, I think you can order fresh durian from them: http://www.genefitnutrition.com/ . But I usually like cempedak even more than durian.

Offline balancing-act

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 05:01:43 am »
Wow, I hope to come across compedak sometime. I like jackfruit over durian, as well. Ever had mangosteen?

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 09:52:37 am »
Balancing-act, I'm at the point where any fruit not grown in this country feels really bad to me. Irradiation doesn't suit my body. The same fruits that tasted amazing not shipped feel all wrong to get shipped. If you don't taste of feel the difference (even energetically) you are lucky indeed. Those shipped fruits make my energy weaker.

Offline balancing-act

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 01:49:57 am »
Really, even from Florida? I don't mean from Thailand or something. My jackfruit isn't even close to ripe when it hits my doorstep. And the persimmons are a friggin two-week wait; what's the difference in the geography of the ripening.
But I'll take your word... I wonder why it's like that for you, or whether it always would be.
Definitely trust your instinct on fruit, though, yes. I was not feeling the dead-looking conventional mangoes in the store this morning.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 02:36:04 am »
Balance - fruits from this country are fine. It's only things that are shipped from outside of the country or Hawaii. You make an excellent point that I might be able to get some from the southern tip of Florida or California. Thank you.

Even though something is grown here doesn't always mean you can get it from here though. At the market yesterday I was really annoyed because they had lots of varieties of pesticide tomatoes, but all the organic tomatoes were shipped from Mexico. I know tomatoes grow here because I'm growing a plant myself that is just starting to ripen. It's just not enough tomato for my greedy self. In the spring though I plan on growing at least a dozen.

Persimmons grow here. I got them at the farmer's market and I'm trying to grow some from seed.

When it comes to new fruits I think it's always best to try them where they are grown with someone who knows what they are supposed to taste like. I remember thinking that I hated certain fruits until I tried them in the tropical place they came from. But I guess it's still worth a try as long as I don't make solid opinions.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 05:13:43 am »
Ever had mangosteen?

I love them, I just wish they weren't so expensive in the US.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk