Author Topic: raw fish  (Read 6291 times)

Offline awesomeame

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
raw fish
« on: October 27, 2011, 05:07:32 am »
I like fish but have never eaten it raw.  Saw some at the grocery store today tho. (one I rarely go to)  There was Whiting (whole, not gutted) and Trout. (gutted)  Both the kinds of fish came from Lake Huron, and were labelled "fresh."  Of course the girl behind the counter had no idea how fresh exactly, but they hadn't been frozen.

Anyways, how do I know the source is safe?  Or how old it is? Is there some way to tell by looking at the fish?  Do I need to gut the Whiting before eating?  I did some reading about fish and there's a lot of scare tactics out there regarding parasites and whatnot....so I need some guidance plz :D

I DID buy some live oysters which tasted wonderful btw.  I still don't understand how TWO live ones can cost $3, when you can buy a can of 15 smoked/processed ones for $0.95 lol

Matt

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: raw fish
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 11:09:44 am »
I wouldn't touch lake fish with a 10-foot pole.  Too many manmade toxins.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 01:10:01 pm »
The canned, processed ones will have a longer shelf-life than the lives ones, so can be sold more cheaply, whereas, due to silly food-safety regulations, raw oysters have to be thrown away very soon.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline awesomeame

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 05:14:36 am »
I didn't think about the manmade toxins angle, thanks for that!  After doing a bunch of reading online (re: parasites, worms, etc) I think I'll be staying away from any raw fish...

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/GlobalHealth/story?id=7847413&page=1
http://www.13.waisays.com/fish.htm
http://www.nytimes.com/1981/09/30/garden/eating-raw-fish-the-dangers.html?pagewanted=all

Offline awesomeame

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 05:34:33 am »
shellfish at least appear to have less parasites overall, I'm not too worried about eating those raw.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 06:41:48 pm »
It is foolish to avoid an entire raw food group, especially in the case of raw seafood - it is, after all,  one of the easiest sources of raw, wild foods.

Whatever the case, I and many other RVAFers have eaten huge amounts of raw wild game and raw wild seafood for many years, and have had no problems with them. A ver few have reported parasites in stools with no discernable symptoms, but these were, usually, eliminated very quickly, anyway.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 10:41:03 pm »
Anyways, how do I know the source is safe?  Or how old it is? Is there some way to tell by looking at the fish?  Do I need to gut the Whiting before eating?  I did some reading about fish and there's a lot of scare tactics out there regarding parasites and whatnot....so I need some guidance plz :D
Matt

Hi Matt,

if you are afraid of parasites just buy prefrozen fish...

Löwenherz

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 03:30:12 am »
It is foolish to avoid an entire raw food group, especially in the case of raw seafood - it is, after all,  one of the easiest sources of raw, wild foods.

Whatever the case, I and many other RVAFers have eaten huge amounts of raw wild game and raw wild seafood for many years, and have had no problems with them. A ver few have reported parasites in stools with no discernable symptoms, but these were, usually, eliminated very quickly, anyway.

Ocean fish have very few parasites.  I think your wild-game habit probably caused your tapeworms.   I eat absolutely massive amounts of raw fish and shellfish, and have been doing so for almost 6 years, and have never gotten a parasite that I know of.  I got food poisoning from some Gulf oysters once, but eating Gulf oysters is kind of unsafe anyway. The handling practices down there are much less strict.

Offline awesomeame

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 04:53:22 am »
Hi Matt,

if you are afraid of parasites just buy prefrozen fish...

Löwenherz

Does prefrozen kill the worms too?

Matt

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 05:33:03 am »
We told you, don't worry about worms ! Just don't eat farmed fish and fish from too polluted waters. Avoid frozen, sterilized, cooked and processed food. Reject anything that smells or tastes bad to you.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 07:17:43 am »
Does prefrozen kill the worms too?

Matt

Yes, of course.

Offline Muhammad.Sunshine

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 03:26:18 am »
Eating raw fish is:
1. Delicious
2. Healthy
3. Delicious

Read this article on eating raw fish. http://fishcooking.about.com/od/rawfish/a/sushi_fish.htm

The article gave me some peace of mind as it states "Neither cod nor seal worms will kill you. If you eat one, they will typically pass right through you and you will never know. But sometimes they will successfully attach themselves to your stomach, causing nausea and abdominal pain. They'll die soon enough, but not before being unpleasant".
Always try to be positive, optimistic, kind, and fair.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk