Author Topic: Warm Breakfast in Fall  (Read 19569 times)

Offline Waldpfad

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Warm Breakfast in Fall
« on: November 03, 2011, 03:33:40 am »
Fresh from the farmer I had duck eggs, pastured pork bacon, pumpkin and chestnuts. I thought this makes an awesome breakfast for fall and I have enough food to last me for the next 12 days for breakfast.
Chestnuts are boiled, rest is fried in bone marrow for added fats and minerals.
Chestnuts sure make an excellent snack, too.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Warm Breakfast in Fall
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 06:27:04 am »
yum i need to get some farm eggs tomorrow, ive wanted warm squash and eggs with greens all week but i am homeless and transient right now, in between farms and seasons blaah, so havent had any eggs, but i have had liver and meat so i cant really complain:)!  i had to leave the hogs i raised this summer before i got any bacon so i cant wait to get a hold of a little pasture fed bacon, hopefully for thanksgiving!  id love to get a hold of soem chestnuts, they are delicious, are they local where you live? i havent seen them down here in the southwest:(

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:16:11 am »
Need I remind all concerned that it's a RAW food forum?

Cooking is one thing, but frying in bone marrow?  You wasted good bone marrow, and frying is just a stupid cooking method anyway...it's very high heat.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 05:05:04 pm »
This will have to go to the Hot Topics forum. Moved there now.

Given the Primal Diet and Weston-Price Diet forums on this site, it is acceptable, I think, to post pictures/descriptions of raw dairy-oriented dishes on this forum, but including photos/descriptions of cooked foods is best left to the Hot Topics forum.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Waldpfad

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 01:48:03 am »
I'm sorry for posting a cooked meal.
I thought the culinary arts was for all meals, cooked, raw, vegan, whatnot.
You can just erase the entire thread, it's cool. Won't post again here since I eat semi-raw only anyways.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 01:59:21 am »
Why not talk to us about the raw aspects of your culinary creations?

It looks like you have some skill and if you discover some raw preparation styles that you would like to share, I sure would love to learn about them.

What if anything do you prepare raw and how?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 03:54:01 am »
Nothing wrong with being semi-raw, it's just that the hot topics forum is the only suitable place for posting about cooked foods.

Hmm, perhaps since we already have 2 forums devoted to diets very high in raw dairy, we could also have 1 cooked-palaeodiet forum for the semi-raw. I'm not too much in favour, but if we allowed all of the above, I suppose we would probably have to have a raw vegan diet forum as well.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 04:38:09 am »
Transition sections could be helpful to many I would suppose. If you had a raw vegan forum it might make work harder keeping out trolls, but might also attract people that are on the fence or open-minded and hence do some people a great deal of good. There is no place of safety for people that are considering adding even non-fertilized eggs or raw grass-fed dairy to their diets or even people that feel that fat is important or even that are attempting to eat as high fat as they can as vegans. People get inklings and on other forums are ostracized and attacked for even contemplating reaching outside of the boxes they find themselves in. It probably would also be quite an active section and could get into heated discussions - but it would create a place for those starting to think. Lots of upsides and downsides.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 04:47:16 am by TylerDurden »

Offline Waldpfad

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 04:39:03 am »
Well, I'm not sure where I fit in because of my mixed way of cooking.
For example I cook my bacon in a pan then toss a raw egg yolk over the bacon on my plate.
I boil chestnuts because it's one of my native foods but can't be eaten raw, but then steam my veggies (leaving them semi raw) and crumble the chestnuts over my veggies to give them flavor (instead of using spices).
Or I make a plate of boiled cauliflour "rice" and chop raw salmon into it.
I fry onions in butter to toss into my raw salad but add raw crushed garlic into the mix to cleanse my blood of parasites. I eat red meat raw (elk, bison, beef), semi cook birds and rabbit but completely cook pork.
I brown oysters but leave the inside raw. Maybe I'm still in a transitioning phase from cooked to raw.

I'm not sure where I would fit in at this point.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 05:50:25 am »
I think you are not alone here. I've read that some people sear the outside of their meat for instance and I read of others cooking some of their food - especially the vegetables. You just don't fit neatly into any one particular section is all.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 10:29:23 am »
People get inklings and on other forums are ostracized and attacked for even contemplating reaching outside of the boxes they find themselves in. It probably would also be quite an active section and could get into heated discussions - but it would create a place for those starting to think. Lots of upsides and downsides.

If we ever did this, if, D could be the mod lol.  There are some good members in other forums that I would hope would come over ... or perhaps other people out there are like them, having been afraid to post there even once.  I think it would be kind of funny, having a vegan forum in the middle of here.  I wonder how we'd treat them.  By too many of them I was treated like a lion made to jump through more and more hoops just to jump through more.  This one member over yonder was always so against me, then finally realized I really eat raw bird fat and wasn't just saying it.  I was always carefully descriptive so they could get the most out of what I was saying, as no one seemed to eat anything near what I ate.  I guess they didn't pay attention and assumed it was McDonalds' burgers and 24/7 at that!  They say vegetarianism is enlightened and raw veganism even more so, but trolls in "those forums" (I'm thinking of one), as long as they harrass raw meat eaters, are typically extremely tolerated.  Would we do the same??
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 12:34:10 pm »
I sure hope it wouldn't be the same! But I think YOU would be the best mod Zi.  ;)

There is this no man's land in-between raw veganism and making the first steps into trying some unfertilized raw eggs or some milk products - which to many would still be considered vegetarian. Remember how they thought I was you Zi when I even talked about eating chicken eggs? I betcha that there are a bunch that are starting to feel like they need more or if exposed would want to try some raw animal foods, but are still way too stabilized in a vegetarian stance to be able to come here and hence, they have few ways to learn. If it weren't for Phil and all he slowly made me aware of, I certainly would not have ever made it here........... hey - maybe if you don't want to be mod - PHIL could be the mod!  :o Now THAT would be a hoot!  l)

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 01:00:54 pm »
I'm not against the idea of a vegan forum, but we'd probably need to make it so vegans could only post in that one area, and no other. 

A transition forum might be a good idea too, but we would probably need to make it so transitioners could only post in that forum for the first 6 months or 300 posts, and could only post elsewhere after moderator approval,

Personally I think it would be a giant pain in the ass to moderate. The vegan trolling would be insane, and I fear we'd end up with more vegan trolling in our other forums than ever before, but maybe not.

I think I'm fine with just letting the curious transitioners treat this entire site as read-only, until they have at least a few months of RAF eating experience.  However, experimenting with those forum types might not be bad.

We could maybe do the same with a cooked forum, but we would need to be extra strict about making pro-cooking posts only in that forum. Otherwise, we'd be overrun with idiots like Nina Planck and Sally Fallon and their followers. This is a raw food board, after all, not a raw dairy coop, a chat site, or a place for people who willingly eat white flour, etc..

I mean, this board is about being right, not about being nice.  Sometimes you have to be a jerk to hold to the facts. Geoff and myself are perfect examples of that. I freely admit my jerkness, even as I also point out my correctness on a subject of great relevance, namely, health.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 01:19:35 pm »
........... hey - maybe if you don't want to be mod - PHIL could be the mod!  :o Now THAT would be a hoot!  l)

Aw, that's sweet of you D, but no thanks!  I don't want that job.  You're right Phil should be it.  He was 100% zero carb for the longest!  And still I think that's the majority of his diet.  Few vegans would want that forum, methinks. =) and the ones that did stick around, a number of them would be serious about actually trying the raw animal food lifestyle.  What a shame (being a little sarcastic here) we have such a great forum, and vegans can't express their veganness here.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 03:34:57 pm »
There is this no man's land in-between raw veganism and making the first steps into trying some unfertilized raw eggs or some milk products - which to many would still be considered vegetarian.

Yes, for them, that forum, that is the no man's land, the egg or milk, yet they tolerate people who eat those to some degree, as long as they never do raw meat ever even once, or do it and jump back on the vegan train (as if that happens?)  Many of them spent years and years as vegetarian before they considered trying vegan for the first time.  Plus they don't differentiate factory farmed from pasture only animal foods.

Me, it was modern farming of milk that turned me vegan.  Not the health so much, but the slavery the factory milk animals live their life in and the calves taken at birth.  I became vegan, cosmetics, toiletries and all, but it was the milk I considered worst at the core and source.

So, when I "went back to meat" (back is a kind of joke to me as I never ate like this before), I went back with full intention of eating any animal (except human), any part (except very pointy), any stage of decomposition etc.  I didn't plan to take it any more step by step other than not introducing more than one "new" food in a week, and to as quickly as possible get all my new food groups in.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 04:26:03 pm »
Well, perhaps we could do a transitioners' forum for raw vegans/raw vegetarians and cooked palaeos who eat a little raw meats? I wouldn't mind references there to cooked dishes people were making or references to a semi-raw diet, but it would have to be understood that people couldn't write propaganda there such as "please don't eat meat because of the bad treatment of the poor little animals" or "cooking made us human", such should, at best, only go to the hot topics forum.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Waldpfad

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 12:01:24 am »
After reading all the posts I have to admit, peoples diets is a sensitive subject, kinda like religion or politics.
For me, diet used to be a sensitive matter because I was addicted (unconciously) to sugar highs, especially things that combined sugar + caffeine like Coca Cola. If someone would've told me 2 years ago to stop drinking Coke, without telling me exactly Why, I would've laughed into their face and wave the subject off.
It took me getting seriously ill to get up and research on my own to what's causing my problems.
Now, as much as I know WHY to not cook foods (killing enzymes, denaturing proteins, killing friendly bacteria that mimic a virus, etc), I still have to cook or gently warm some in order to make it palatable to me.
I am what Dr. Peter D'Adamo would consider a 'Super-taster'. I can taste plant toxins immediately, sometimes even still after they've been cooked. The coffee and cacao bean has toxins that I can taste even after boiled to death. Kale and other green, leafy vegetables have toxins that I taste strongly if not at least boiled for 2 minutes. Egg whites if not cooked have an anti-nutrient in them that gives me a reaction in my throat. I had an anaphylactic shock once already, from egg whites...I just have to cook them, and leave the yolk, the most nutritious part raw. I cannot eat ANY nuts in their raw state, that's why I'm limited to chestnuts, which are boiled or roasted anyways, and all is good.
Chicken, Duck, Hens, etc, I heat the outside of the muscle, the area where the skin would be attached, but leave the inside near the bone raw. Reason is because I strip wild duck (from hunting season) ready for the freezer every year, and I found worms/parasites crawling along under the skin, within the slimey tissue of skin and muscle.
So, birds, regardless of what kind, get browned on the outside, regardless of how many enzymes I kill, or how many proteins I denature. I am looking right at the parasite, and I refuse to eat it, sorry.
Pork, for obvious reasons, I cook all the way. I grew up on pork and my grandmother and mother told me to always cook pork fully so I don't get a tapeworm. This wisdom has been passed on from generation to generation and I will follow it til the end of time. Weston Price always said there is much to learn from the 'old ways of eating'...and well this is the ONE thing I am listening to that my recent ancestors have taught me.
Fish, in order to be sold in stores in the US have to be frozen by law to kill parasites...so I was told by some meat guy in Fred Meyer. All fish therefor should be safe to be eaten raw, regardless of quality, so that is what I do. Oysters, I brown because being a 'Super-taster' I throw up from the high amount of salt. It seems to cling to the outside of the oyster, and since it's so delicate to wash under the sink, I throw the thing into a pan with warm butter and the salt taste disappears. Oyster will remain raw inside.

And since I can't do 0 carb, and don't want to always raise my blood sugar with (raw) fruit, I have nothing left but vegetables and those have to be steamed, cooked or boiled for me to consume them, squash is another one of my favorite in fall.
Because of the way I eat and semi-cook, it allows me to take in an extremely large variety of foods.
I like the cellulose broken down because I have severe digestive issues when the fibrous plant matter stays intact. Obstruction, constipation, hard stools, cramps and painful bowel movements.

Many would say, oh just juice them. I can't do that either because of my super taste buds...the salt I have to use to over write the toxic taste is just too great.

I am open for suggestions. I have my reasons for everything I do with foods, but if I'm missing something, or someone could give me more tips or info on anything, I much appreaciate it! :-)

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 01:26:14 am »
The Fred Meyer dude must have been talking about sushi restaurants in the US as only being able to sell fish pre-frozen to the public raw. Maybe he was saying he thought one had to eat prefozen fish if it was raw for that reason. Generally fish markets sell fish right off the boat as well as frozen fish. Lots of people eat literally all these foods you talk about raw AND unfrozen, but your logic is reasonable and appreciated.

I've certainly made meals like that and would prefer to do so on occasion to eating 10 bananas or something (even though I've eaten literally thousands of bananas and eat pretty much all raw for most of my food) but other people have different preferences or ideas on which things are harmful. I think people just think when you post such things (particularly as the start of a topic) it makes it seem like you are promoting something or that other people who visit think 'we' eat that way or something. If you have a journal it would certainly be appropriate and people could comment about substitutions or changes etc. I've included some cooked stuff like veggies IICR in some of my food journaling. If not, i'll post some more.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 01:31:18 am by KD »

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 03:49:03 am »
I'm not against the idea of a vegan forum, but we'd probably need to make it so vegans could only post in that one area, and no other. 

A transition forum might be a good idea too, but we would probably need to make it so transitioners could only post in that forum for the first 6 months or 300 posts, and could only post elsewhere after moderator approval,

Personally I think it would be a giant pain in the ass to moderate. The vegan trolling would be insane, and I fear we'd end up with more vegan trolling in our other forums than ever before, but maybe not.

I think I'm fine with just letting the curious transitioners treat this entire site as read-only, until they have at least a few months of RAF eating experience.  However, experimenting with those forum types might not be bad.

We could maybe do the same with a cooked forum, but we would need to be extra strict about making pro-cooking posts only in that forum. Otherwise, we'd be overrun with idiots like Nina Planck and Sally Fallon and their followers. This is a raw food board, after all, not a raw dairy coop, a chat site, or a place for people who willingly eat white flour, etc..

I mean, this board is about being right, not about being nice.  Sometimes you have to be a jerk to hold to the facts. Geoff and myself are perfect examples of that. I freely admit my jerkness, even as I also point out my correctness on a subject of great relevance, namely, health.

The "Personally I think it would be a giant pain in the ass to moderate." part of what you said Cherimoya is the real issue me thinks. It would take unlimited patience in explaining simple things over and over and reigning people in and being really on top of not letting people out of that section. It would sure take some serious time and commitment! That's why I suggested my friend Phil, because what are friends for? lol.

Zi - what better than to have a zero-carb dude be moderator for the raw vegan section? Talk about some strict moderation that would be! hee hee.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 10:00:11 am »
Zi - what better than to have a zero-carb dude be moderator for the raw vegan section? Talk about some strict moderation that would be! hee hee.
Not necessarily. I'm "ZC" through and through yet find I'm pretty lenient to vegan/vegetarian discussion. I guess it's because I found my way to RAF through other means than raw vegan like many on the forum did. :)

I think a raw vegetarian or vegan sub-forum is a good idea if we can keep it respectful. There are still many benefits to a well thought out vegan/vegetarian diet but they just lack one big piece that we collectively have found truly useful.

I feel a transitional diet sub-forum is also a good idea. There are two main camps we seem to get people from; cooked paleo & raw vegan.If there was a hospitable place for people to just come and ask questions without worry of being ridiculed or demeaned it might be a real boon to many.

I don't get on here enough to cover things by myself but I've found so much good in this diet, and it's helped my health so tremendously, that I will volunteer the time I do have on here to be extra vigilant in these sub-forums if we do institute one or both. At the end of the day I want to help others if they're willing to take that first step to help themselves. :)

We would add it like this:

Raw Paleo Diet Forums:
Welcoming Committee
Info / News Items / Announcements
General Discussion
Exercise / Bodybuilding
Hot Topics
Health
Personals
Suggestion Box
Off Topic

Raw Paleo Diets:
Omnivorous Raw Paleo Diet
Carnivorous / Zero Carb Approach
Wai Dieters
Instincto / Anopsology

Other Raw-Animal-Food Diets:
Primal Diet
Raw Weston Price

Transitionary Diets:
Raw Vegetarian/Vegan
Cooked Paleo
(Do we include cooked Weston A. Price?)

Raw Paleo Diet Gallery:
Display Your Culinary Creations
Members' Journals

Members Only:
Before and After Photos
Exercise Gallery
Politics / Spirituality / Philosophy
Health
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 10:05:40 am »
And on the topic of oversight/moderation I feel that if we did create a vegan or vegetarian sub-forum that Skinny Devil would be an ideal face to lead it. He's eating almost vegetarian now but with some meat tossed in here and there. He's also in great shape and has a great outlook on life. Exactly who you want helping folks with that next step showing them it's not so scary. Then again I don't know if he's able to commit much time either.
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 10:24:00 am »
Hey Dan - I was being tongue-in-cheek about Paleo Phil as he was the one who over years demonstrated calm loving and respectful information to my raw vegan self and therefore the reason I am here. Just bantering a bit with Zi as we both know he's a doll.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 10:38:36 am »
Hey Dan - I was being tongue-in-cheek about Paleo Phil as he was the one who over years demonstrated calm loving and respectful information to my raw vegan self and therefore the reason I am here. Just bantering a bit with Zi as we both know he's a doll.
It's getting to be time for bed. I caught it at first and then responded at face value without thinking. It's all good; Phil knows we love him. :)
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 11:09:56 am »
And on the topic of oversight/moderation I feel that if we did create a vegan or vegetarian sub-forum that Skinny Devil would be an ideal face to lead it. He's eating almost vegetarian now but with some meat tossed in here and there. He's also in great shape and has a great outlook on life. Exactly who you want helping folks with that next step showing them it's not so scary. Then again I don't know if he's able to commit much time either.

Transitionary Diets:
Raw Vegetarian/Vegan
Cooked Paleo
(Do we include cooked Weston A. Price?)

The thing is if you have a vegan/veg forum within a transitional subheading obviously it demeans the diet as an actual practice and you aren't going to be attracting the right kind of people but just endless arguments about whether a veg diet is workable.

Better off just having a forum that is a transitional forum and a separate veg forum or even better yet just ONE general sub-forum which is heavily moderated from purists but isn't labeled transitional specifically.

---

As complained before by various people the existing breakdown and very important 'order' apparently already makes no sense for various reasons that aren't necessary to get into right now.

It might as well just have in the same listing (in whatever 'order' people don't cry about)

Wai Dieters
Instincto / Anopsology
Primal Diet
Raw Weston Price (nix as it isn't technically a diet practiced by anyone on the forum or proposed by any WAPF people not to mention contradicts Price's findings ).
In its place:
Other Diets & Transitional Approaches
 (with the same caveat listed as hot topics "Raw vegan and Fruitarian topics may be discussed here but only here.")

or The Raw Paleo Diet

with a new box with perhaps no heading

Wai Dieters
Instincto / Anopsology
Primal Diet
Other Diets & Transitional Approaches

---

could care less if this happens or not though, as likely no matter what most peoples rationalizations and approaches won't be tolerated, as per the already accepted non-'paleo'/raw ideas on this site.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 05:39:23 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 11:14:04 am »

I am open for suggestions. I have my reasons for everything I do with foods, but if I'm missing something, or someone could give me more tips or info on anything, I much appreaciate it! :-)

I've got a suggestion.  Frying is for idiots. I think you know that it's the worst possible way to cook, and you're deliberately choosing it to get attention.  Surely you're not ignorant or stupid enough to do it otherwise, hmm?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk