Author Topic: Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements  (Read 3589 times)

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements
« on: November 12, 2011, 04:28:39 am »
A physical therapist who is working on my shoulders for increased range of motion commented on all the clicking noises in my shoulder joints. The original injury was many years ago and was never well-rehabilitated. Reduced inflammation with RPD has let me turn my attention to getting full use of my shoulders again, hence the return to physical therapy.

The PT's casual suggestion was that I try glucosamine with chondroitin supplement. I looked these up in Wikipedia and I get the general idea that glucosamine is present in bone marrow, which I eat regularly, while chondroitin is present in cartilage, which I don't consume regularly.

From a RPD point of view, what are some opinions of taking a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, or getting these components from animal foods.

P.S. One of the cooked foods that I miss is pho with tendon slices. I miss it almost to the point of craving it. Pho is a bone broth with certain spices that might be classified as "warming" (star anise, cinnamon, clove, peppercorns, ginger). Pho traditionally has rice noodles, but I want it without noodles. I tried to eat tendon raw, but I couldn't even slice it with a knife.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 08:38:35 am »
I read somewhere that glucosamine is increased in raw meats after aging it. I googled and found "Relationship Between Amino Sugars and Meat Microbial Quality" pdf file.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 06:45:53 pm »
Small pieces of tendon make excellent paleo chewing gum. Chop it with an axe :P
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 07:06:38 am »
I tried to eat tendon raw, but I couldn't even slice it with a knife.

I've used Cutco kitchen shears successfully to cut tendon.  Even so, it's pretty difficult. Those shears are about $90, but they really can cut wonderfully.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 09:31:41 am »
I read somewhere that glucosamine is increased in raw meats after aging it.

That might explain why I have seen such improvement in my joints while eating aged meat. ALL my meat is aged nowadays. I just buy ahead so I have time to let it age before I eat it. I'll just keep doing what I've been doing. I read the article "Relationship Between Amino Sugars and Meat Microbial Quality" and it does indeed say that glucosamine is increased in aged (spoiled) meat. My confidence level in RPD with high meat just shot up immeasureably.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk