Author Topic: Blending Raw Organs  (Read 12472 times)

Busgrw

Blending Raw Organs
« on: October 09, 2008, 10:59:31 pm »
Hi All,

This is my first post. I have been lurking for some time now but as i've just 'taken the plunge' into the RPD way of eating (i've been eating mostly cooked paleo for about a year). My plan is to introduce more raw foods into my diet over the next weeks and months and to monitor the health improvements I experience.

My questions is this. Is there reason why I can't just get a number of different types of organ meats and throw them all in a blender with some mineral water and get it down me? Reading through the posts here, I find a lot of people who are having some raw liver here, some tongue there, some kidney here (you get the point). Today I went to my local butcher and ordered some lambs liver, lambs kidneys, a lamb heart, some lamb suet and a bit of lamb mince. I went home threw it all in a blender with 10g of coconut oil, topped up with some water. I've consumed 1/2 of it so far and will have the other 1/2 tomorrow at lunch (and I plan to have the same thing every lunch time for the next week to see how things go). Is this a suitable way of getting the benefits of diferent types of organs or should I avoid this method.

Thanks for the help. I'll eventually get around to introducing myself properly and telling you a bit about myself.

Cheers.

:-*

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Blending Raw Organs
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 11:53:32 pm »
be careful not too get too much vitamin A. You could get sick. That usually only happens when someone eats bear liver.

I get liver myself. I eat it twice a week. I want to try more stuff but the local store I go to with food stamps basically only has liver., However I'm hunting and hope to get brains, etc.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 11:59:54 pm by Sully »

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 11:58:39 pm »
Blending them should be fine. Some people here are eating muscle meat blended with organs.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 03:09:50 am »
Blending them should be fine. Some people here are eating muscle meat blended with organs.

Sully the muscle meat and organs are not blended; it is chopped or minzed!

Tyler mentioned bolting down meat for better digestion; animals don't blend meat and I don't think minzing or blending is paleo do you?

Nicola

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 04:44:16 am »
If you have any digestive issues, then I would suggest not mixing everything together(and certainly not in large amounts). Mind you, Lex does this more or less, as he buys a petfood mix with all the organs mixed in(10% of the mix?).

Be careful with the coconut oil., Plenty of people report problems with it, due to antinutrients within it,  and I;m no exception. Better to get your saturated fats(or other fats) from animal sources, not plants./
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 06:06:31 am »
Tyler, I don't think 10g of coconut oil is very much, although I could be wrong.

Anyways, I myself would avoid blending but that's because I think chewing is important. There are other opinions on that of course.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 07:08:16 am »
That should be a fine way of doing it if you can get it down. It doesn't sound too appetizing to me but to each his own, and I certainly eat stuff many would consider gross.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 10:30:49 am »

There's no problems in  mixing and matching organ meats IMO.

I think it's almost impossible to get Vit A poisoning eating raw.

I tried blending food at the start of the diet and found it disgusting...eg tomato juice and liver...it brings out more flavour which is what you want to avoid at the the start. I would rather bolt food organ meats with mineral water.

10 g of coconut oil shouldn't cause too much trouble. 10 table spoons which are sometimes recommended by some can make you nauseous.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Busgrw

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 04:20:50 pm »
That should be a fine way of doing it if you can get it down. It doesn't sound too appetizing to me but to each his own, and I certainly eat stuff many would consider gross.

Not appetising in the slightest at the moment but I find it's the quickest way of getting the food into me until I get to the stage where I can happily chew on it as I believe the chewing is important too (as mentioned above).

I'll keep blending for a week to see how it goes. Certainly after drinking it down yesterday I didn't seem to have any adverse effects (digestion etc) so that's a good thing.

Cheers.  ;D

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 01:27:30 am »
Hi G,

How are you getting on with the blended raw organ meats?  I've been eating RAF for about 7 years now and regularly use a similar method myself for consuming my nutritious organs.  Certainly, I've never experienced any problems with this.  I tend to blend some good mineral water with the juice of 1 lime, a couple of whole tomatoes and 3-4 desert spoons of chopped raw lamb's liver.  It certainly hits the spot as I frequently have this for breakfast and can go all day on it!

Good to see a new person on here from the UK!

Michael

1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Busgrw

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 02:11:34 am »
Hi G,

How are you getting on with the blended raw organ meats?  I've been eating RAF for about 7 years now and regularly use a similar method myself for consuming my nutritious organs.  Certainly, I've never experienced any problems with this.  I tend to blend some good mineral water with the juice of 1 lime, a couple of whole tomatoes and 3-4 desert spoons of chopped raw lamb's liver.  It certainly hits the spot as I frequently have this for breakfast and can go all day on it!

Michael

Hey  Michael,

Things didn't go the best actually. I stopped it after about 4 days as I ended up getting really ill (flu like symptoms and really bad headaches etc). Think I went at it too quickly. I was just chucking heart, liver, kidney, kidney fat etc into the blender and getting it down twice a day. Eventually I would get anxious and since found out that it might have been the kidney fat.

Anyway, I had a break, got myself better and for the last 2 weeks i've been about 80% raw (making a lot of beef carpaccio and eating raw veg and fruit) with the other 20% being made up of cooked meat and some boiled eggs. So far I feel a lot better than I have in a long time. My head is clear, i'm sleeping well and my training is good.

Think I might try what you've been doing and blend up a single raw organ at a time including the juice of lime and some tomatoes rather than chucking everything in at once including kidney fat and see what happens. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

G ;)

Offline JustAnotherExplorer

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 06:09:16 am »
Hi G,

Michael

I may try this, but I have no idea what size a desert spoon is.  Can you give an estimate of weight in grams (or any other standard measurement that is convenient for you)?  Have you ever tried with other types of liver?  I don't have any lamb's so would probably be trying with beef.  I wonder how different the taste would be or if you would season it differently.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 06:26:01 am by JustAnotherExplorer »

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 06:32:32 am »
I may try this, but I have no idea what size a desert spoon is.  Can you give an estimate of weight in grams (or any other standard measurement that is convenient for you)?  Have you ever tried with other types of liver?  I don't have any lamb's so would probably be trying with beef.  I wonder how different the taste would be or if you would season it differently.

Having tried both lamb and beef liver numerous times, they aren't extremely different. Beef liver is a bit stronger tasting, but I prefer it to lamb liver actually. It has better texture... although I guess it wouldn't matter if you're blending it.

Satya

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 06:45:29 am »
Having tried both lamb and beef liver numerous times, they aren't extremely different. Beef liver is a bit stronger tasting, but I prefer it to lamb liver actually. It has better texture... although I guess it wouldn't matter if you're blending it.

Ugh, Keith.  Lamb liver is way more tender and succulent than a big old beefy liver.  What's wrong with you anyway? 
Just joking.  Love and big hugs for your big, muscular frame!

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 07:32:53 am »
Sorry Satya, for having an opinion  >:

:P :D

Your avatar makes me a little nervous, like you're going to come flying out of my computer screen and kick me in the face. Or the elbow.

xylothrill

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 10:20:53 am »
When I first tried my first raw liver it was lamb liver and I though it was absolutely horrible. It was all I could do to get it down and I'd have to do it with a glass of water as a chaser. I've since gotten used to it and can't really tell any difference between lamb liver and calf liver (haven't tried raw beef liver). I did give some lamb liver to my parents once who cooked it. They said it was good the first day but after microwaving it the second day, they said it was very strong tasting and smelling and they couldn't eat it.

My sister also says that my grass-fed beef tastes like grass. Me? I don't taste grass in it at all.

xylothrill

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 10:26:42 am »
Your avatar makes me a little nervous, like you're going to come flying out of my computer screen and kick me in the face. Or the elbow.

Face or elbow? I can think of a more worrisome part than an elbow. I'd be afraid she's going to fly through the computer and kick my face or left kidney.  ;D

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »
The reason I don't blender my meat is I want to see what I'm eating.
Another reason I don't want to mix together organs, is I want to taste each and every organ.
I follow my taste buds.
If it tastes bad, I throw it away.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 07:38:01 pm »
Hi G,

Sorry to hear of your illness and bad experiences!  It does sound like a case of too much at once.  Like any change in diet, or anything in life I guess, you need to take it slowly.  On paper, it may make sense to load up on maximum nutrients by blending lots of organs etc but the body can only handle so much at a time.  I hope you find the simple liver/tomato/lime juice combo easier and more beneficial.

Good to hear you're feeling better now though.  I still live largely on beef carpaccio and highly recommend it.  My favourite dishes are usually simple fare such as thinly sliced beef with chopped parsley, red onion, garlic.  I usually have it with some chopped raw cultured french butter but am hoping to get away from this as a source of fat now I've located a reliable source of grass-fed marrow.  You're doing well eating 80% raw already and it's nice to hear you're noticing the undeniable physical & mental benefits.  Stick with it!

JustAnotherExplorer, a desert spoon is a very quaint English expression isn't it?!  :)  It's not something I do with any amount of precision to be honest.  If I have a difficult day ahead I tend to pile in rather heaped spoonfuls for instance as all of those B vitamins are great for helping with mental/physical stress.  It certainly helps with my concentration for University.  I would suggest a couple of tablespoons would be an adequate amount for you.  You certainly don't want to overdo it as liver is extremely high in Copper - too much of which is not a good thing!  I can go all day on such miniscule amounts but, obviously, everybody is different so you'll have to experiment a little.

Keith, you're a braver man than I eating beef liver!!   :o  I find the taste incredibly strong compared to lamb.  I think quantity-wise, you'd also need to be extra careful as it's even more nutrient dense than the lamb.  I do agree that the texture is better for actual eating and may choose it for this purpose.  As a further note, I do always soak my liver in lemon juice overnight which helps remove any toxins, kill parasites and tone down the strong flavour a little.

Michael

1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Busgrw

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 07:55:25 pm »
Hi G,

Sorry to hear of your illness and bad experiences!  It does sound like a case of too much at once.  Like any change in diet, or anything in life I guess, you need to take it slowly.  On paper, it may make sense to load up on maximum nutrients by blending lots of organs etc but the body can only handle so much at a time.  I hope you find the simple liver/tomato/lime juice combo easier and more beneficial.

Have to agree with on this one. I have a habit of jumping straight in when a good idea comes my way. This time around it will be gradual.

Good to hear you're feeling better now though.  I still live largely on beef carpaccio and highly recommend it.  My favourite dishes are usually simple fare such as thinly sliced beef with chopped parsley, red onion, garlic.  I usually have it with some chopped raw cultured french butter but am hoping to get away from this as a source of fat now I've located a reliable source of grass-fed marrow.  You're doing well eating 80% raw already and it's nice to hear you're noticing the undeniable physical & mental benefits.  Stick with it!

I thought id eventually start to get sick of beef carpaccio but i'm still loving it (except the price tag it brings with it as i'm eating grass-fed fillet beef). My dishes are quite simple ones as well with onion, peppers, garlic, tomatoes and avocado making up the main elements. Have managed to ween myself off dairy products which I also attribute to my improved health so all in all I think i'm doing everything right (although I might need to get my fat intake up a bit more). Good luck in your own endeavours.

G

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 08:07:36 pm »
I didn't know desert spoon was just an English/Australian thing. It is quaint come to think of it :)

Still can't believe people can handle blended organs although my meat mix seems disgusting to some.

Albert Camus

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 08:09:49 pm »
Keith, you're a braver man than I eating beef liver!!   :o  I find the taste incredibly strong compared to lamb.  I think quantity-wise, you'd also need to be extra careful as it's even more nutrient dense than the lamb.  I do agree that the texture is better for actual eating and may choose it for this purpose.  As a further note, I do always soak my liver in lemon juice overnight which helps remove any toxins, kill parasites and tone down the strong flavour a little.

Haha! Raw beef liver was one of the first animal foods I ever tried raw, other than eggs and fish. I was still very lightly searing my steaks at the time when I first tried raw liver. My taste-buds were in for quite a shock, as I've never had ANY type of organ meat before, raw or cooked! It was truly a new experience (though not as giggle-inducing as when I try a new fruit)

When I eat liver now, I usually have a pound of it, so I eat around 4-6 oz. a day until it's gone. Then I'll eat some other organs for a while until I get back to liver. I've never noticed signs of overdosing on nutrients eating this amount, but rather I feel that liver is one of the best organs for actually NOTICING the healthful effects it has on you.

I tried soaking the liver in lemon juice once, and found it harder to get down than the liver by itself. I couldn't stand the taste of it. That's just me though.
Cheers!

Busgrw

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 08:10:35 pm »
I didn't know desert spoon was just an English/Australian thing. It is quaint come to think of it :)

Still can't believe people can handle blended organs although my meat mix seems disgusting to some.

wodgina6722

How do you make your meat mix as i'm interested in any new recipes?

G

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 08:35:13 pm »
check my journal, it should be in there. I tweak it quite often.

Albert Camus

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 08:44:41 pm »
Face or elbow? I can think of a more worrisome part than an elbow. I'd be afraid she's going to fly through the computer and kick my face or left kidney.  ;D

It was an attempt at humor.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk