Author Topic: Theoretical and Practical Application of RPD in the Diet of Children  (Read 7376 times)

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
How would one go about raising a child on the Raw Paleolithic Diet both in theory and in practice? What foods could be potentially dangerous for young children just weaned from breast milk?

The way GS offers raw meats to his children is an example in children at an older, cognizant age, but what about younger children? I've heard of parents raising children vegan. Is this similar?

Are there any parents here who offer raw animal foods to their children? If so, at what age did they begin eating this way?

If I ever beget children I'd like to know if there are any boundaries I should be aware of.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 05:47:37 pm by zeno »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical and Practical Application of RPD in the Diet of Children
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 03:26:52 pm »
GCB gave raw tuna to one of his younger children when it was a newborn.  He raised the youngest three 100% raw from birth, IIRC.  He specifically mentions a story where he offered mashed banana or a small piece of raw tuna to the newborn.  The baby rejected the banana mush, but accepted the tuna.   I assume he was speaking the truth about that.  He would definitely be the best person to ask, probably of anyone, anywhere.  Lots of societies feed their young children raw animal foods, like sashimi, kibbeh, etc..  It's not at all uncommon.

That's what makes me laugh when people talk about the dangers of raw animal products.  Right now, as I type this, millions of people of all ages and all levels of health are eating sashimi for lunch in Japan.  All over the world, people in dozens of different cultures will be eating raw animal foods today, people of all ages.  In many of these societies, the raw animal foods are part of diets that also include some Western processed foods.  There's no sharp, clear line dividing all societies into ones that eat pure traditional diets, and ones that eat the SAD, or a SAD variant.  People in dozens of cultures cross that line in their daily diets every day

If there's so much danger, then why aren't all those people dropping like flies from salmonella, etc.?   The answer is that the dangers are HIGHLY overstated by ignorant, prejudiced medical and nutritional "authorities" in the US.  Think about the millions of Japanese toddlers being fed little pieces of raw tuna every day.  They're doing fine. So don't freak out, dude.

Children fed raw from birth have a WONDERFUL sense of what foods they need.  They are natural instinctivores, if you raise them that way.  I wish I had been a RAFer when my daughter was born.  She'd have much better teeth now, and be generally healthier. 

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 04:00:37 pm »
What foods could be potentially dangerous for young children just weaned from breast milk?

...If I ever give birth to children I'd like to know if there are any boundaries I should be aware of.

While the baby is still breastfeeding age they eat raw animal foods in many cultures, raw liver, raw egg yolk, raw chewed meat etc.  Offer them healthy food, just don't force them.  They know instinctively, until people start giving them processed sugar.  Actually, better than offering, just eat healthy raw foods yourself, enjoying the foods in front of them. They will let you know, they'll grab it ..

For a second there I thought you were a woman.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 05:02:27 pm »
How would one go about raising a child on the Raw Paleolithic Diet both in theory and in practice? What foods could be potentially dangerous for young children just weaned from breast milk?
No experience here, but I would think it would be a very bad idea to not breastfeed until the baby develops teeth(c. 8 to 10 months). In HG times, they breastfed for longer, but that was for contraceptive purposes mainly.
If I ever give birth to children I'd like to know if there are any boundaries I should be aware of.
Err , men can't "give birth" to children! Only women can do that, since they're the only ones with a womb! Men can "beget" children  or "have children", though.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 05:59:49 pm »
That's what makes me laugh when people talk about the dangers of raw animal products.

I was more concerned with nutritional balance rather than any sort of risk of infectious disease.

While the baby is still breastfeeding age they eat raw animal foods in many cultures, raw liver, raw egg yolk, raw chewed meat etc.  Offer them healthy food, just don't force them.  They know instinctively, until people start giving them processed sugar.  Actually, better than offering, just eat healthy raw foods yourself, enjoying the foods in front of them. They will let you know, they'll grab it ..

Thank you for the advice! I was worried as to how to introduce raw meat at a young age. Masticating it a bit might be helpful.

In HG times, they breastfed for longer, but that was for contraceptive purposes mainly.

Could you elaborate a bit? I've heard this in regards to grizzly bears once: males will eat cubs in order to force females back into heat. Why is this an issue and what's the relation to the human practice?

Could someone elaborate on nutritional balance a bit and what foods to introduce at certain points of development?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 06:20:19 pm »
Could you elaborate a bit? I've heard this in regards to grizzly bears once: males will eat cubs in order to force females back into heat. Why is this an issue and what's the relation to the human practice?
Well, human women are "in heat" on a regular basis, not just once or twice a year like other animals, so it's not the same thing.

Here is some basic info re breastfeeding and contraception:-

http://www.babycenter.com.ph/baby/breastfeeding/contraceptionexpert/

Here's some more scientific data:-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12314000
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 07:21:03 pm »
Well, human women are "in heat" on a regular basis, not just once or twice a year like other animals, so it's not the same thing.

Geoff,  I'd better tell this to my wife. 
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Muhammad.Sunshine

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 09:56:05 pm »
Would Inuit children have eaten mostly raw meat from birth? You may find information about the efficacy of raising children on raw diets from such tribes.
Always try to be positive, optimistic, kind, and fair.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 01:22:00 am »
With my three children, I exclusively breastfed them until they grabbed for food - each child will do this at the right time (mine were 6, 8, and 11 months). I pre-chewed foods that they couldn't manage themselves. Breastfeeding continued but diminished until the children weaned themselves. Nutritional balance from food wasn't an issue during infancy because they were still getting plenty of breast milk. During toddlerhood, nutritional balance develops, with the parents in charge.

Err , men can't "give birth" to children! Only women can do that, since they're the only ones with a womb! Men can "beget" children  or "have children", though.

TD, that's American "tongue-in-cheek" English!
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 03:46:37 am »
Eveheart,
you just did so much right as a mother. Wow.
How was it back then, do mothers ususally let their children wean off the breast themself?
Or was it as it is nowadays - you are told to wean after 6 months.. -[

My sister breastfed her daughter until 3 years old. The girl is 12 yo now, a very clever girl.

Inger

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 04:33:43 am »
How was it back then, do mothers ususally let their children wean off the breast themself?

LOL@ "back then" - how time flies!!!

As I recall, very few women (less than 20% in the US?) breastfed at all, but there was an alternative culture of us "hippie" types and our old-fashioned friends. I belonged to La Leche League, and it was socially acceptable to breastfeed within that group. When my second was born, #1 was still nursing; he weaned at 3y6m. When #3 was born, #2 was still nursing. When #2 weaned, #3 stopped nursing, too, because she was a little copycat to her older brother.

Mothers seem to find doctors who tell them what they want to hear. My doctors never mentioned weaning, nor did I ask them about my babies' nutrition. After the newborn visit, I didn't take my kids to the doctor until they needed their kindergarten physical exams, at the doctor's suggestion. He told me that all he checks for is normal developmental milestones, such as sitting, walking, and he told me that I could notice those things without him and call him if I were worried about anything.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 05:19:25 pm »

Mothers seem to find doctors who tell them what they want to hear.

Yes, that might be so true. Also in other aspects of life. ;)
That "hippie" culture truly did some good, I suppose. :)

Inger

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 04:21:15 pm »
I feed my younger three children a varied diet that includes raw meat and dairy. The younger two I began feeding raw meat to after weening from the breast. My 9 month old absolutely loves it and gets all excited when she sees me with a plate of food. I have been giving her ground buffalo with bits of fat and coconut butter along with goats milk as the main source of food.

Here is my three year old scrapping out some marrow with a Knife. Bone marrow is a supperfood for all ages.  There is also some brains on the plate.

I let the kids watch me butcher, and they love following me out to the meat shed every time I bring home a new animal.

My two and three year old will also eat some bone meal whenever I make it, sometimes they end up eating more than I do.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:59:30 pm by TylerDurden »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 12:15:17 am »
Thank you for sharing. Your account is just the information that I was looking for.

That your children respond so well to raw animal foods is amazing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk