Author Topic: Raw food sources  (Read 10073 times)

Offline sadanyagci

• Forager
    • View Profile
Raw food sources
« on: December 02, 2011, 02:13:44 am »
Hi there,
I'm looking to start eating only raw foods, including meats and milk. Problem is I'm a truck driver. The truck is always moving, can't be taken out of route much, and doesn't fit in most parking lots. This limits my food choices to shopping at walmart, eating at diners, and eating fast food. As it is, I buy fruits and veggies at walmart as much as I can, and drink only water. But my body won't let me go without meat, so the cravings come hard every day for it.

I want to know if there is anyone with experience eating raw walmart meat. I don't trust it because I know the animals they come from are not in great condition. I don't want to get sick from eating sick animals.

My second question is if anyone knows how I might be able to find places to buy what I need that I can actually get to.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw food sources
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 04:05:35 am »
use the powers of google to locate health food stores, natural food co-ops, ranches, farmers markets etc....i am sure you can find a few that are not too far off the path and there are probably more in the boonies then you would realise

obtain a cooler, stock up for a few days, try to keep stuff frozen, if you can at least keep it pretty cold you will be okay...eggs that are farm fresh and ever refrigerated dont need to be kept cold, just cool

or just get a different job? perhaps operating equipment on ranches or larger organic farms:)?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 06:31:23 am by TylerDurden »

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 04:07:12 am »
ps eatwild.com or localharvest.com will help you locate good quality meat, you can usually then reference the ranches website to and if and where they sell their meat off the farm if needs be...

Offline sadanyagci

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 04:39:03 am »
Thanks  for the link to eatwild.com. I'd already looked into local harvest for a while. I'm hoping they'll give me a mapping file so I can actually cross-reference with my routes.

I usually run interstates. Sometimes US routes. Doing online searches has so far not found me anywhere I can actually get to. Either driving there is over a mile out of route, or there's no way to park a truck.

Trust me, if I didn't have to be a truck driver, I wouldn't be. My profession is actually in computers. I do what I do because I was sent to do it. I'll be in this field for a little while. Don't know when I'll be released from it. Probably in a year or so.

Frozen won't work, as that takes a lot of constant power. Cool would, at least before summer.

Not much stocking can be done. 3 to 7 days worth probably. I usually stop by walmart once or twice a week. Plus do most of my eating in restaurants. Not a lot of room in a truck.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 05:13:58 am »
How about taking a cab from where you park your truck to the store or sushi restaurant, etc.?

Offline sadanyagci

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 05:20:56 am »
How about taking a cab from where you park your truck to the store or sushi restaurant, etc.?
I think you're confusing me with someone who has money coming out his ears.  :P

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 06:44:53 am »
You should PM Iguana as he was a truck driver for decades before retiring and writing truck-driver manuals(at least, last I checked).

My suggestions:-  If you can't easily reach raw food outlets near your route, this is a problem. I presume that you are working for some fascist company that forces you, on threat of penalties, to stay on the route and reach your destination with no delays, unless you can provide a valid reason like a storm on the freeway etc. So, visiting farms is also out, though I would have thought, at least, that isolated farms on flat farm-land would have very large areas for parking lorries and the like.

Walmart is pretty crap. A few RVAFers have stated that they healed after eating raw, grainfed meats, such as is found in Walmart. Those are certainly better than their cooked versions. The trouble is that those same, raw, grainfed meats still do contain some toxins(as a result of the animals being fed on rubbish nutrition). Plus, grainfed meats taste foul compared to grassfed or wild meats - an important point to consider since most of us take time, as newbies, to get used to and enjoy eating raw meats in the first place. If Walmart also provides wildcaught fish, that might be an option, especially if you're near the coast, as it's always cheaper nearer the sea.

I don't think raw, nonorganic fruit/veg is the end of the world, though, given my own experience. By all means, buy that from Walmart.

You could settle for making pemmican, but  a lot of RVAFers seem to do less well on pemmican because of all the cooked/rendered fat in it. A far better bet for you would be to make a huge amount of beef jerky and other dried raw meats(beef carpaccio, biltong?) and take it with you on your journey. Properly dried raw meats last forever. Lex Rooker has a link here on how to make your own cheap dehydrator:-

http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/display-your-culinary-creations/lex's-%2410-beef-jerky-maker-and-recipes/

Also, raw eggs can be stored for ages. Just make sure you get one of those large boxes which are designed so as to prevent the eggs from breaking. Can't remember what they are called, though.....

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sadanyagci

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 07:05:49 am »
Thanks Tyler. My company isn't that bad. Some trips have little time to spare. Some have a lot. My current load is very tight. Regardless, driving out of route costs fuel, and for moving a heavy truck that's not cheap. My co-driver owns the truck. I don't like costing him money.

Farms might be possible, but I wouldn't drive on random unpaved ground with no way to see if I can turn the truck around once I get in there. If I'm not 100% positive I can safely, and in a timely manner, get out of a place, I don't go in. It's just too risky.

I figured that about Walmart meat. That's why I haven't tried it yet. I don't think exposing my body to new toxins  is a good idea while I'm trying to fix myself. Maybe now and then (if I need to) after my system is all worked out. I'll keep avoiding for now.

eatwild.com (jessica's suggestion) has mapping files I can use with my current mapping system, so I think I might be able to get started. Hopefully I won't have to resort to stockpiling jerky.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 07:35:43 am »
please dont eat raw walmart meat, that shit is so foul you cannot believe, you might be eating 10 different cows from three countries in one mouthful!  not only are they fed shit they are processed in shit and shit, ie natural flavours and colors ,are added so that it doesnt actually look or taste like shit!

what part of the country are you traveling in?

Offline sadanyagci

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 07:57:28 am »
Every part of the country except Florida, Alaska, and Hawaii.

Offline sadanyagci

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 08:11:22 am »
I'm currently just west of Chicago, driving to Salt Lake City.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 09:48:36 am »
If you look around on this forum, you'll find pictures of how some raw-meat eaters get a chunk of meat and hang it from a hook in a refrigerator, so I'm thinking you could rig up a large 12v cooler where you can hang a chunk of grassfed beef. Here's a picture of my hanging meat, to the left is a 5 pound chunk of rump roast, a 1 pound chunk of lamb liver, and a side filet of wild salmon. I slice up servings as I need them every day, and the rest of the chunk keeps well, and ages to perfection.

I'd imagine that you could get something rigged up that would serve this purpose, then find your suppliers in various places as needed. It took me a few months to figure out good butchers that had reasonable prices for quality meat. The rump roast I buy is $4.99/pound. Raw meat is surprisingly tender, cooking with heat toughens it up, so find the cuts that are the size and taste that agrees with you.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 12:53:12 pm »
I think you're confusing me with someone who has money coming out his ears.  :P

Why do you work a job with such ridiculous demands, unless it at least pays well? No offense. There are definitely other jobs.

Another poster mentioned raw eggs.  They do store well, if you enjoy them.  I recommend eating only the yolk.  Be very careful about your egg sources.  Most "free range" chickens are fed lots of grain, when in reality they should be eating mainly bugs, etc..

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 01:17:42 pm »
If I were in your shoes and had access to dry ice that would solve all meat issues.  I would buy in bulk and keep it in the freezer.  Then I would either grind or cut into small pieces and pack for each meal.  Take 4-6 packs and put them in the cooler with dry ice and take with me on the road.  That should keep it frozen for a few days.  I would take one pack out 2-3 hours before meal.

That's what I do now.  I take one pack from the freezer and go to work.  In about 3h it is ready to eat.

Offline sadanyagci

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 07:42:56 pm »
Why do you work a job with such ridiculous demands, unless it at least pays well? No offense. There are definitely other jobs.
I do get paid well. However, most of my cash goes to support my sick mother. That's what got me into health research in the first place.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 08:37:27 am »
Some people like driving. Find a way to have good food, some books on tape and it could be a good gig for a young man. Get paid to give yourself an amazing education. You could read more than a book a day during this time of your life by listening. There are rental clubs and you'd be amazed at what you can find at the library.

I admire you for helping your Mom. Have you been able to help her with what you have learned?

You've gotten some good ideas. Some better than others of course. Dry ice is a really good one imho. That's what my delivered meat arrives in and if you can find places that sell it along your route that might be all you need - especially in the winter as it won't run out so fast. I have no idea how much it costs though. I don't know how expensive ice is but isn't there ice at every truck stop? All you would need is a really good insulated chest and lots of changes of ice. They do make these nifty refrigerators for truck drivers. I also don't know how much they cost though either. Dehydrating I think is a great idea if that texture and flavor appeal to you. High meat is also an option if you like it (or can deal with it). Eggs really could be a staple if you find a good source - but you seem to be having hankering for meat. Eve's idea could be ideal if you can get and afford a fridge for your truck. Pemmican isn't all raw but from what I read here it was used in a way that you are describing - for long trips out hunting for what you need to survive away from home. Maybe not ideal every meal or long-term, but it could get you through the tough roads where there isn't much to be found to eat.

Blessings to you on your journeys!

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 08:38:44 am »
please dont eat raw walmart meat, that shit is so foul you cannot believe, you might be eating 10 different cows from three countries in one mouthful!  not only are they fed shit they are processed in shit and shit, ie natural flavours and colors ,are added so that it doesnt actually look or taste like shit!

I think this should be the paleo forum's "quote of the month"!

Offline sadanyagci

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 03:12:12 am »
Some people like driving. Find a way to have good food, some books on tape and it could be a good gig for a young man. Get paid to give yourself an amazing education. You could read more than a book a day during this time of your life by listening. There are rental clubs and you'd be amazed at what you can find at the library.
I enjoy driving. But then being a nomad is pretty normal to me. I was born one, and have never had a chance to settle. I plan to in the future though, when I can set everything up right.

My money isn't for giving myself an education. Been there, done that. That path is useless, though few admit it after working so hard for it.

Can't get anywhere near libraries, and you have to have a physical address for those. I mostly research online and download ebooks, audio, and video. It would be nice to hold a book in my hands for a change, but I'm content with what I have.

I admire you for helping your Mom. Have you been able to help her with what you have learned?
I've been able to help her somewhat, but no where near as much as she needs. Doctors have certainly been of no help, nor have naturalist protocols. Recently, I've developed a protocol which should restore her to a stabilized like-normal state, but I have yet to implement it. I need a stable, permanent home environment and a few new skills before I can. That takes resources I don't have yet.

You've gotten some good ideas. Some better than others of course. Dry ice is a really good one imho. That's what my delivered meat arrives in and if you can find places that sell it along your route that might be all you need - especially in the winter as it won't run out so fast. I have no idea how much it costs though. I don't know how expensive ice is but isn't there ice at every truck stop? All you would need is a really good insulated chest and lots of changes of ice. They do make these nifty refrigerators for truck drivers. I also don't know how much they cost though either. Dehydrating I think is a great idea if that texture and flavor appeal to you. High meat is also an option if you like it (or can deal with it). Eggs really could be a staple if you find a good source - but you seem to be having hankering for meat. Eve's idea could be ideal if you can get and afford a fridge for your truck. Pemmican isn't all raw but from what I read here it was used in a way that you are describing - for long trips out hunting for what you need to survive away from home. Maybe not ideal every meal or long-term, but it could get you through the tough roads where there isn't much to be found to eat.
I already have a small fridge. Dehydration might be an option in the future. Some room for it will need to be made first though. Getting the meat, however, has proven to be the difficult part.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 10:43:22 am »
You are a nomad so at home on the road until the time and place merge to settle. That's a good match.

When I say education I don't mean university or school. I mean real education. I mean what you already do - download books to listen to while you drive and expand your universe even further by taking in other people's knowledge and experience on subjects that interest you. Libraries have selections of ebooks and books on cd. That's what I meant. I'm educating myself right now. I listen to books. I will get no degree - just knowledge. Libraries of course necessitate settling - but rental clubs don't. What I was really getting at was that many situations end up being what you make of them. No different with truck driving. It's what you can make of it for yourself.

You already have a fridge. That's a big plus. Are there places where you can get stuff delivered? I for the first time ordered from Slankers recently. It's not organic but it's grass-fed and better than most including ground with organs and organs plain and marrow. It's a million times better than Walmart.

Can your Mom implement on her own what you instruct her to do or at least a part of it? Doctors doing anyone much good in terms of true healing is rare. They just try to get rid of symptoms or if you are cynical (or have seen) enough then you might say that all they try to do is sell pills and procedures.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk