Author Topic: Sources of Unadulterated Fat in a Fat-phobic World  (Read 6707 times)

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
Sources of Unadulterated Fat in a Fat-phobic World
« on: December 19, 2011, 11:06:26 am »
This is more of a rant and rhetorical question rather than a literal question.

How does one find unadulterated sources of fat in this fat-phobic world we live in?! At the grocery store there is nothing but sweet snacks and nothing of pure, awesome fat to quench my cravings. I resorted to a damned, ridiculous nut butter! I feel like an herbivore!

Everything is either cooked or raised on GMOs! The most difficult part of this diet is having an adequate source of quality fat! That our society has become completely afraid of fat does not help.

Any recommendations/comments?

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:36:40 am by zeno »

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Sources of Unadulterated Fat Sources in a Fat-phobic World
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:35:09 am »
I recommend getting out of babylon and producing your own food. Thats the only way you can truly know you have a good source of food.
-----------

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Sources of Unadulterated Fat in a Fat-phobic World
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 12:53:49 pm »
COMMENT: What's a grocery store;D
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 01:26:54 pm »
Grocery stores suck. Good meat is way overpriced there, you can't get organs, you can't get fat. Can't get raw milk there either. Only thing it's good for is fruits and the standards for organic dont live up to my standards for organic. The only thing organic is good for is that i know it wasnt irradiated.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:22:13 pm by TylerDurden »
-----------

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 03:23:10 pm »
Buy direct from farms or hunters whenever possible. Once there is a demand for fatty things like raw suet, raw tongue etc., they happily provide it for you at cheap prices.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 08:00:07 pm »
This is more of a rant and rhetorical question rather than a literal question.

How does one find unadulterated sources of fat in this fat-phobic world we live in?! At the grocery store there is nothing but sweet snacks and nothing of pure, awesome fat to quench my cravings. I resorted to a damned, ridiculous nut butter! I feel like an herbivore!

Everything is either cooked or raised on GMOs! The most difficult part of this diet is having an adequate source of quality fat! That our society has become completely afraid of fat does not help.

Any recommendations/comments?

I go to wet markets which are common in my country. 
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:24:32 pm »
Talk to your local wild game processor. Wild game processors butcher hunters' catches for them, and often remove the fat and throw it away because hunters don't want it. I have a friendly relationship with a wild game processor locally and he saved the back fat from about 100 wild whitetail deer for me, which amounted to about 200 pounds of pure, wild fat. Some of these deer probably ate a little grain, but we don't grow much grain in this part of the state so few of those deer have access to it. They live nearly exclusively on wild plants and whatever bugs they happen to eat with the plants.

What did I have to 'pay' for this 200 pounds of fat? I made the guy a wallet out of brain-tanned deer hide, which took about 2 hours to cut out and sew.

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 12:59:03 am »
The nearest game processor is quite a ways away but since I have nothing else I'm going to try and contact them.

Thank you for reminding and encouraging me to contact them.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 02:22:05 am »
Talk to your local wild game processor. Wild game processors butcher hunters' catches for them, and often remove the fat and throw it away because hunters don't want it. I have a friendly relationship with a wild game processor locally and he saved the back fat from about 100 wild whitetail deer for me, which amounted to about 200 pounds of pure, wild fat. Some of these deer probably ate a little grain, but we don't grow much grain in this part of the state so few of those deer have access to it. They live nearly exclusively on wild plants and whatever bugs they happen to eat with the plants.

What did I have to 'pay' for this 200 pounds of fat? I made the guy a wallet out of brain-tanned deer hide, which took about 2 hours to cut out and sew.

I never thought of that. Great idea! Thanks.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 04:14:34 am »
200 pounds of pure, wild fat.

What would you charge me for about 15 pounds of that?  I live in Virginia, so I would pay the shipping.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 09:50:55 am »
Sorry cherimoya_kid, it's illegal to ship game across state lines, and illegal to sell it in most states. You'll have to talk to a game processor near you to get this sort of deal.

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 11:26:49 am »
I contacted the nearest processing plant and they informed me that the season is over.

Any other ideas?

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 09:17:45 pm »
Nope.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 12:04:26 am »
I contacted the nearest processing plant and they informed me that the season is over.

Any other ideas?

It's frozen and not "organic" but you can order from Slankers and get it delivered to your door. Their marrow bones are a kinda long and they leave too much thickness at the end making it not so easy to get out the marrow with a knife, but it's my only source of grass-fed marrow so that's what I do. They also sell grass-fed suet in these massive chunks. Their back fat all goes into their "high fat" ground meat which is still only 30% fat (which I didn't like all that much).

Do you have a source for decent eggs? The egg yolks are one of my favorite sources for fat. There's always butter in a pinch too if you do that sort of thing.

Salmon is one of my favorite sources of fat - but I still put avocados on it and fatty sauce often made with egg yolk. I'm a fat eating monster! ;)

I have to admit though, I still do get a good deal of my fat from veggie/seed sources - but I do very well on that kind of thing.

Zeno - are there any farmer's markets that have grass-fed or farms near you? One guy at the farmer's market said that he could get me all the fat and organs I wanted for almost nothing from the processing plant that he uses - but they wouldn't be grass-fed, so I wouldn't do it. They throw all that away! Shameless. But if you can't get any other fat it might still be worth it to you to investigate. It can be a struggle can't it? I hope you find a good source soon!

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 01:17:14 am »
I think North star Bison would help. You'll pay a ton in shipping, but talk to them on the phone on a Monday that's when they take orders for butchering.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 02:15:20 am »
    Bear
    Bighorn Sheep
    Elk
    Mountain Goat
    Mountain Lion
    Mule Deer
    Pronghorn Antelope

Here's what you have available to you zeno. You can either go an take one of these for yourself or you can throw an ad on cragislist saying you will come and pick up any scraps of other hunter's kills, including fat. You have to be very detailed about what you want, most people see scraps as garbage. Do not advertise to buy it, just say you'll pick it up and save the trouble of them having to dispose of it.

Eric, how's the mentoring going?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 02:32:34 am by CitrusHigh »

Offline balancing-act

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 07:02:30 pm »
Craigslist is a great idea.

I called around to about ten local farms and got one call back, for pig back fat at only 50 cents a pound!!! And it's been *totally amazing.* When I first started eating it I would feel very distinct pulses of joy from my legs and stomach, suggesting I had satisfied a strong need. I've been chowing down on pieces the size that you'd eat of any meat. Last night I had to explain to my housemate what the funny-looking giant rolled ball of something is in the fridge... he took it well.
Thank you to people on here for the back fat idea. Good luck Zeno in your search.
Interested in deep political matters? www.rigorousintuition.ca

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 09:10:10 pm »
I Citrus, mentoring's going fine. The official program with Jon ended earlier this month with our final official one-on-one call, but he's said he has no interest in our mentoring relationship and friendship ending so he gave me his cell phone number and I already had his direct email. Really nice fellow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk