Author Topic: Article on Fermented Icelandic Sheep  (Read 4147 times)

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
Article on Fermented Icelandic Sheep
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:35:44 am »
I stumbled upon an article about fermented Icelandic sheep. Hopefully someone with the resources will give this a try!

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Article on Fermented Icelandic Sheep
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:02:39 pm »
Very good article, although the link to the youtube video opens a video about how to put on sparkling eye make-up for a New Year's party. LOL

Here is a good youtube video about Icelandic fermented shark, which brings out good points about how fermenting actually improves a food which is not good fresh. The idea of acquired taste fascinates me - what I eat now is definitely an acquired taste and an acquired mental attitude. I like the point about keeping traditions alive.

Eating Rotten Shark
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 03:46:27 pm »
    Does all shark need to be fermented to be eaten by humans? Or only some certain ones?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:49:26 am »
    Does all shark need to be fermented to be eaten by humans? Or only some certain ones?

Only sharks from cold waters have the extremely high amount of urea in the meat, that requires fermentation.  Regular shark is fine to eat fresh/raw.  I know, I've eaten fresh shark.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 03:34:48 pm »
I know, I've eaten fresh shark.

I only ate shark once, but didn't like it.  So I think maybe I'll ferment it and try it again.  I bought the shark in a warm area, but don't exactly recall if it was local.

That's pretty strong for me to dislike something.  I'm not usually disliking something unless I get a very weird reaction from it.

Thanks for clarifying that.  I'll look out for cold water and urea.  I like kidneys best well fermented.  Could be for similar reason?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk