Author Topic: Storing organs...  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Storing organs...
« on: January 14, 2012, 11:46:06 am »
I'm getting ready to place another order from NorthStar Bison.  I'm planning on ordering every 2 weeks to keep shipping costs down.  This first time, I just got 2 roasts, and hung them in my fridge, and they are keeping very well.  Now this next order, I wanted to get one roast and then some heart and tongue.  I am wondering what the best way to store those are to keep them fresh(ish)?  I remember reading that organs don't keep as long as muscle meats do (some people freeze them?).  I want to avoid having to freeze anything. 
Should I just hang the heart and tongue like the roasts?  Would it be OK to skin the tongue right away or should I leave the skin on until I'm ready to eat that part? 
And, does anyone here have any tips for skinning a raw tongue--its so tricky! :-S

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Storing organs...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 01:10:17 pm »
Hi,,  yes, hang the tongue and the hearts, and livers as well if you get them.   For the tongue, with long sharp knife, cut the tongue lengthwise down the middle.  then with on half filet it like you would with fish, pressing down on the skin at a slight angle as you slide the knife along to separate the meaty part.    Really not too difficult.  Same as with testicles.   I find it pretty tough, and end up grinding it in meat grinder. 

Offline MarkC

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Re: Storing organs...
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 05:42:48 am »
I haven't tried hanging but I have kept livers, tongue, kidney and heart on a plate in my fridge for up to 10 days and they were fine. Probably hanging will help them stay fresh even longer.

Van's method of skinning the tongue is perfect but probably requires a very sharp fillet knife. If you can't manage it, you can slice the tongue into a few segments widthwise, then turn those on the side and chop off the skin with two or three slices.

I like to chop the tongue into bite-sized pieces as it's tough to tear with the teeth. I only chop the amount I'm using that day though, as I find chopped-up tongue, just like marrow and suet, will dry out quickly and lose its texture and taste if left in the fridge.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk