Author Topic: Zero-carb and salt  (Read 15398 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Zero-carb and salt
« on: January 21, 2012, 05:34:51 am »
On another palaeo list-group, it was suggested that those who get fatigue on a raw, zero-carb diet only needed to ingest extra salt in order to get rid of that problem. It certainly didn't work for me, but I'm curious as to whether it worked for others. Who knows, maybe my problems with rzc were just due to unusual, personal health issues.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:08:45 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Zero-carb and salt
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 12:18:54 pm »
I have a feeling it's a magnesium issue.   Some salts like the gray ones handharvested with full mineral spectrums have a fair amount of mg.  Himalayan salt has little due to the fact it's been leeched out over time.  I personally take an ionic mineral supplement that gives me about 400-800 mgs. a day.  And did much better switching from Himalayan salt to grey types collected I think in Wales or somewhere up there, excuse the lack of geographical focus. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:09:25 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 12:54:45 pm »
According to Stefansson, the Inuit specifically did not salt their food. Generally, animal products have more sodium anyway. I'm pretty suspicious of telling people who eat lots of animal products to have extra salt.  Fruitarians, OTOH, could use more salt, usually, as well as more minerals in general.  Those are two opposite ends of that spectrum, though, more or less.

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 04:27:14 am »
IMO, there is very little to say about eating an animal diet. For me, the watchwords are Eat enough fat, Eat enough salt, and Eat the whole animal. My idea of a high-carb meal is a dozen oysters.

Hi Eveheart,
Can you please expand on your comment re salt...
What happened when you didn't eat salt?
How do you decide how much salt you need / when to eat salt?
How do you eat / drink it?
What kind do you use? etc

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 09:05:12 am »
Can you please expand on your comment re salt...
What happened when you didn't eat salt?
How do you decide how much salt you need / when to eat salt?
How do you eat / drink it?
What kind do you use? etc

I stopped salting food when "they" told me to in the 1970s. I didn't own salt for decades. When I switched to very low carb, I had trouble with cravings for salt that would focus on salted cooked foods such as roasted and salted nuts or seasoned seaweed. I thought to myself, "Hmmmm, maybe I need to start using salt," so I started using it again. I'm not that attentive to physical details, so I feel silly saying this, but I think I sleep better at night when I have salt.

There's a good video on this forum with a Salt Institute video at http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/hot-topics/i-love-salt/msg99981/#msg99981. You posted a radio interview on that thread.

I eat salt by instinct, so I really don't decide how much salt to ingest. I never salt beef, that would be a gross flavor combo IMO. (I age my beef so it always has a good, sour taste.) I do salt fatty fish and avocado. Sometimes I just dissolve a chunk of salt in my mouth when I'm looking for that flavor. When I do eat vegetables, I make them as a kimchi, which is salty. I have bouillon in the house, but I don't favor it. I use Vietnamese fermented fish sauce, too.

Right now I have Himalayan pink salt from Trader Joes and some Korean sea salt.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 11:10:09 am »
I have a feeling it's a magnesium issue.   Some salts like the gray ones handharvested with full mineral spectrums have a fair amount of mg.  Himalayan salt has little due to the fact it's been leeched out over time.  I personally take an ionic mineral supplement that gives me about 400-800 mgs. a day.  And did much better switching from Himalayan salt to grey types collected I think in Wales or somewhere up there, excuse the lack of geographical focus. 

That's so very good to know Van - thanks for saying that. I wonder if part of recent magnesium issues for us hasn't been from switching from Celtic Sea Salt to Redmonds.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk