Author Topic: New to this forum..  (Read 4169 times)

Offline Fats

• Forager
    • View Profile
New to this forum..
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:41:10 am »
Just wanted to say Hi!

I am not raw Paleo as of now but am here to try and learn to wrap my little head around it.  I have eaten sashimi raw and really enjoy that.  I can't say I like the taste of raw ground chuck very well but I can eat a seared steak bloody rare. 

I want to know first off if I can get away with searing meat and still get most of the benefits of eating raw?

Going to go nose around here and see what I can find out now..

Fats
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:36:10 am by TylerDurden »

CitrusHigh

Re: New to this forum..
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:12:13 am »
Welcome Fats! Good idea doing some research before making the switch. Yes, meat that is cold cooked, ie: literally about 10 seconds on each side (assuming it's not less than 3/4" thick) in my opinion retains most of it's nutritional integrity including bacteria and enzymes. But if you go beyond that you will begin to do serious damage throughout. I started out searing my meat, not because I was afraid of pathogens but because I wanted my meat hot and I liked the flavor(I started raw meat in november '08 I believe). Eventually I got to the point where I am today such that I'll leave my meat out over night so it's at room temp, and then maybe warm it a bit to get it closer to body temp but that's about it with the exception of dishes I cook for flavor (acknowledging that I'm not doing the most healthy thing I can for my body).

Anyway, point being, yes, ease in to the diet, cook it to whatever degree you have to, and then strive to reduce it as you become more comfy with this new perspective. Even adding a little raw meat to a standard diet I have found does wonders, and usually that encourages people to take it further.

Good luck!

Offline Fats

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:27:24 am »
Thanks Citrus!

I know someone who has been doing this for some time and I thought they were nuts.  Recently read some things about Raw Paleo that interested me and now that person doesn't seem so nuts.

I do have a concern about pathogens/bacteria and have heard some stories that are disturbing at best.  I tried eating some ground chuck yesterday that I seared for about 3 minutes per side and it was still plenty raw in the middle and may have gotten diarrhea from it?  Is that possible?

There seem to be so many varieties of this diet along with opinions.  Some say no fruit and some the opposite.  Some eat potatoes others say no no.  For the life of me I don't understand how people eat raw organs and so on.  I don't like liver when it is cooked with onions and spices, but not going to think about that now.  I know somewhere in my past there were relatives who didn't have a stove and a fridge.

Anyhow - I know what to do - just keep reading.

Thanks,

Fats

CitrusHigh

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 03:59:15 am »
Diarrhea is absolutely normal when becoming accustomed to new types of raw animal foods. It can be expected when introduced to a new source of raw milk, or raw milk in general for the first time. Can be expected with new varieties of animals, or new sources of animals. It is part of an adjustment process that takes place in the gut. It is also a product of detoxification. Anyone coming off of any kind of cooked diet can expect to experience some diarrhea, colds, flus, and possibly some vomiting. As you continue to detox these periods should become less frequent, shorter in duration and less intense/severe. That's assuming you cut any vices (sugar, smoking, alcohol, stress, etc) to a minimum. If you keep taking in an excessive (relative to you, YMMV) amount of toxins you can expect more frequent detoxes.  If you pay attention to your body, eventually you will find a limit or learn to recognize signs when you are going overboard with those toxins. For example I know when I'm smoking too much reefer or when I'm eating too much sugar or alcohol because I will begin to get the sniffles and congestion as well as fatigue. Everyone is different and different toxins will stimulate you differently.

Which leads to your next query, about some here saying yes fruits, others saying no fruits, etc. This is because each person has a different set of acceptable foods written in to their genetic code. This is IMO a combined result of your ancestry, exposure to sever toxins like vaccines, lack of exposure to immuno-stimulants  in your formative years (eczema, asthma anyone?) and many other factors. Strictly speaking it is your ancestry and what your parents are exposed to before and (your mom)during your gestation, but effectively the other components play a large role as well. That's why some people can tolerate fruit and larger amounts of sugar and others cannot. It's also why some people thrive on almost exclusively meats and others do not. There's a host of other factors too. Some people can't tolerate things until they have healed to a certain extent, then they find they can eat foods that hitherto produced nasty effects for them.

Yep, keep reading, and PAY ATTENTION to your body. It will tell you what you can and can't have and learn to differentiate between detox and things you truly aren't meant to eat.

There are general guidelines, most people can eat all the meat they want healthfully. Most, fish as well.

Refined sugar and grains(at least when not fermented) are toxic to most.

Some people can digest fruits and honey. Some, veggies. Some, nuts. Some, dairy. Some, eggs.

Some will disagree with what I've said, but the bottom line is, the journey to healthful eating is personal one that no one else can determine for you, though we here on the forum can maybe help you navigate it a bit!

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 04:00:03 am »

I do have a concern about pathogens/bacteria and have heard some stories that are disturbing at best.  I tried eating some ground chuck yesterday that I seared for about 3 minutes per side and it was still plenty raw in the middle and may have gotten diarrhea from it?  Is that possible?

Just repeat to yourself that tens of millions of Japanese (and now Americans and Europeans, more and more) eat raw fish and meat every day, in the form of sashimi, including raw horse and whale.

Offline Fats

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 04:55:41 am »
There are general guidelines, most people can eat all the meat they want healthfully. Most, fish as well.

Awesome Citrus - that helps a lot!

Thanks,

Fats

Offline Fats

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 04:58:23 am »
Just repeat to yourself that tens of millions of Japanese (and now Americans and Europeans, more and more) eat raw fish and meat every day, in the form of sashimi, including raw horse and whale.

So true Cherimoya  -  I want to do this...just have to somehow have to get over the "yuck factor"

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 05:45:15 am »
Just wanted to say Hi!

I am not raw Paleo as of now but am here to try and learn to wrap my little head around it.  I have eaten sashimi raw and really enjoy that.  I can't say I like the taste of raw ground chuck very well but I can eat a seared steak bloody rare. 

I want to know first off if I can get away with searing meat and still get most of the benefits of eating raw?

Going to go nose around here and see what I can find out now..

Fats

Searing will do, for starters.
You just sear less and less.
There is a section for newbies.
Please read that section.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 06:33:22 am »
Yeah, detox, such as diarrhea is normal when one switches from raw to cooked, though, imo, what you ate was only partially raw. When I switched cold-turkey to raw meats the first time, I had near-constant, strange green diarrhea for the first 2-3 days, after that things were fine, with only occasional very mild detoxes occuring very  infrequently for a couple more years before they stopped.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk