Author Topic: Question About Lamb Organs  (Read 5616 times)

Offline brian99

• Forager
    • View Profile
Question About Lamb Organs
« on: February 07, 2012, 05:00:09 am »
Hello, I am new to RPD.  I plan on making a large order from Slanker's within the week but for now I have access to grass fed, grain finished frozen lamb organs. 

Being new to organ meats as a whole I was curious as to if experienced RPDers think it is worth buying.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Question About Lamb Organs
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:32:30 am »
Most RPDers seem to think that grain-finished meat is almost as bad as fully grain-fed meat. There's studies on eatwild.com which seem to bear this out, as I recall(?).

Get the organ-mix from Slanker's like Lex Rooker does. Raw organ-meats have a much higher nutrient-content than raw muscle-meats and contain special extras like coenzyme q10 etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline brian99

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:43:34 am »
Most RPDers seem to think that grain-finished meat is almost as bad as fully grain-fed meat. There's studies on eatwild.com which seem to bear this out, as I recall(?).

Get the organ-mix from Slanker's like Lex Rooker does. Raw organ-meats have a much higher nutrient-content than raw muscle-meats and contain special extras like coenzyme q10 etc.

Thanks. 

As far as storage, would you suggest keeping the organ meats I order in whatever container/packaging Slanker's ships it to me in and keeping it in a freezer before thawing and eating?  Or a different method?  From what I've read through on the forum there seems to be differing views on this, I'm curious as to your take.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:24:14 am »
Yeah, keep it in a freezer and then thaw it, if you buy in bulk. These days, I usually only buy every week so just leave it in the fridge not the freezer for that time.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline brian99

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:51:58 am »
Yeah, keep it in a freezer and then thaw it, if you buy in bulk. These days, I usually only buy every week so just leave it in the fridge not the freezer for that time.

You suggest leaving it in the original Slanker's packaging before thawing? 

Also, I can get local grass fed and grass finished ground beef that comes in the typical ground beef containers with the plastic wrap.  I see a lot of mentions of exposing meat to open air around the forum, would you recommend I open the packaging in this case for refrigerated meat I plan on eating within the next 5 days?

Thanks for the help , I appreciate it.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 02:08:27 pm »
Slankers is out of the stuff that Lex eats (the dog and cat food) but I think they still have the primal which has 4 different organs in it. They are not always a reliable source in my experience with them thus far. The dog food is processed at a facility that is not inspected but the primal blend is processed at their normal human food plant where it is inspected. That might or might not matter to you. They have a minimal shipping amount too. If you get from Slankers take out one package and put it in a glass container and let it thaw in the fridge. Their bags leak from all over so don't just go put it on the shelf. I don't leave it out on the counter to thaw when it's still in that bag. Once you open the bag remember to take out the container and mix it well at least once a day and try to drain off the blood. The meat needs to be exposed to oxygen.

If you have a source for local grass-fed I highly suggest you make use of it. The shipping costs can be significant otherwise and it's always better to support your local farmers and local businesses - and then you can buy small amounts at a time to make sure you like the food before committing to a big box of something.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 05:28:28 pm »
No idea re Slanker's packaging as I'm in the UK. I would suggest airing any raw meat left for more than 5-7 days, as by then the anaerobic bacteria start to act on the meat despite the chilld environment of the fridge. Airing is hardly necessary for frozen meat in freezers, though.
" Ron Paul.

Offline brian99

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 02:36:36 am »
Thanks for the responses.  I get my cuts of beef/suet/marrow in the typical rectangular containers wrapped in plastic, I go through these in 3 or 4 days.   Would you suggest leaving these unopened in the fridge before opening and eating or airing them out in the fridge?

If you have a source for local grass-fed I highly suggest you make use of it. The shipping costs can be significant otherwise and it's always better to support your local farmers and local businesses - and then you can buy small amounts at a time to make sure you like the food before committing to a big box of something.

I definitely will, they do get in local 100% grass fed beef organ meat every week (I just have to act fast when it comes in) and it's reasonably priced so it's a great source.  With that said, I don't know how long I could do a strictly beef diet and sashimi is too expensive to eat constantly, so I'll be making a Slanker's order within the next couple weeks to add lamb/bison.  What do you mean by "mix" daily?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk