Author Topic: Alternative Uses for Bone Marrow Bones  (Read 11336 times)

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
Alternative Uses for Bone Marrow Bones
« on: February 07, 2012, 10:50:40 am »
Hey all,
Most of us agree that bone marrow is an incredible food. However, when I eat it, I wonder what I should be doing with the bones.

Does anyone have any suggestions to use bone for:
  • Art
  • Tools
  • Furniture
  • Gardening Amendments
  • Any other ideas?

My preliminary research has helped me to stumble upon this: http://www.regia.org/bonework.htm

I'll keep posting as I learn more, but I would love some help from the community.

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative Uses for Bone Marrow Bones
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 11:29:56 am »
I carve mine into earrings ~ ~ http://www.etsy.com/listing/91109363/4g-organic-bone-silver-and-stone-gauged
So far I've only done a couple from my marrow bones, as they are a bit of a pain in the butt to clean.  Apparently, an enzymatic cloth diaper cleaner is the best...or just letting them sit out in the garden for the ants to do it (which unfortuently won't work now because its winter here).  I've just been heating them in water and dish soap, which works fairly well but doesn't get them 100% clean. 

...thanks, this reminds me to go searching for enzymatic diaper cleaner...haha ;-)

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 11:55:13 am »
Wow what tools do you use to do that?

I would love to do some art with non-electric tools if you have any recommendations.

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 11:58:58 am »
Well, I do use electric tools haha (how very un-paleo of me, tsk tsk!!! LOL) ;-)   ...a flex shaft rotary tool (like a dremel), a scroll saw and a bench grinder. 

I do also want to learn more with non-electric tools.  I'm pretty sure all kinds of files, scrapers, chisels, jewelrs saw, sand paper etc. would work for hand tools.  The only thing that is holding me back from switching is the electric tool is quicker and I already have it, and I don't have the money right now to get all the hand tools I'd need.  But someday!!  Because I find carving with hand tools much more relaxing, and less dusty and noisy. :-)

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 12:02:11 pm »
Haha yeah don't forget we're on computers! haha

I'll have to learn more about hand tools before I get into it but I think it'd be a fun project. Do you have any ideas of things to do with bones besides art / jewelry?

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 12:36:12 pm »
Toys for the dogs.

When my black soldier fly composter is ready the maggots will eat them and then I will feed the maggots to my chickens to give them lots of calcium to make me eggs.

Oh and Sile - that is just too cool that you make them into earrings!  O0

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 01:28:41 pm »
Are bones good for bone broth after bone marrow is extracted? I read somewhere that bone broth is very nutrious even though it is cooked.
Or maybe they are good for garden compost?

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 01:31:08 pm »
Thanks Dorothy! <3

@Zym--;-)  Ancient art form, modern methods!

I also make bone broth out of them, give them to my dog, or throw them in the compost.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 01:33:47 pm »
Aren't you not supposed to put bones in regular compost piles?

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 01:50:26 pm »
Er....I dunno...I've heard both ways.
I have a compost pile where I just keep piling it up...like they say to do in the "Humanure Handbook" (cept there's no humanure in mine LOL).
However, I don't really know how to get the done compost out now, because its all stuck on the bottom...
And I'm afraid I ruined it because I mixed in a bunch of black walnut tree leaves....
So, probably don't listen to my composting advice LOL!!!!!

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 01:58:24 pm »
At my house growing up my brother decided that it would be a good idea to start a compost pile on the side of the garage with a fence about 6 feet away that none of us ever even passed by. He just kept on dumping there. After about 20 years the "compost" was at least a yard high up the sides of the garage and the fence. It was the most fertile useless pile ever created!

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 03:04:32 pm »
A  farmer told me to just dug a hole in my garden and throw all the vegi/fruit peels and leftover foods in and then cover the hole with soil. 

That is how  I have been doing. In a couple months most foods become rich dirt.  I cover a hole by dugging another hole.  So  next time a hole is ready for me to throw in leftover foods... There is little odor if the foods are covered with several inches of soil.  But I do not throw in fish, because neighbors' cats will dug it out.

You need a fairly large garden of course.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:26:32 pm by Joy2012 »

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 01:59:05 am »
Ohh, good idea Joy!

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 05:39:10 am »
With the burying of the foods one has to be careful if you have wild animals around because they will dig it up. My dogs, cats and chickens would have all that up on the surface again in no time. With scraps that are still enticing I let my indoor worms compost them. With things like tissues, cardboard, paper etc. I take those and put them out in the garden.

Actually at this moment I am just starting to build an area. I've decided to take cardboard boxes and first fill them with paper and leaves and chicken manure and then some soil and plant legumes in them. This way they will break down and be contained and in the end I will have a rich raised bed with the nitrogen being gathered from the beans.

But in all these kinds of compost piles you are not supposed to put meat or bones or oily foods. Bones just don't break down. Takes forever. The bones are better for jewelry etc. or bury in a place where they won't interfere with gardening endeavors. They would be like having big stones in the garden - not good.

I will experiment with some bones in my maggot composter though. With black soldier fly maggots you CAN put in meat and oil and all that stuff. Those little buggers can break down most things in ways that an earthworm can't touch.

When it comes to anything that is still edible I give that to my crickets and the crickets to my chickens.

I'm really getting into this composting and using every little thing I can to feed someone thing big time. ;D

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 06:33:52 am »
If the marrow bone has a large flat area, I clean it off and cut that part off to make bone arrow heads for hunting. Otherwise I make bone broth from it, then compost whatever is left.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 12:32:53 pm »
 Bone Arrow Heads. Cool.  O0

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 12:34:04 pm »
dorothy you are my composting hero:)

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 01:26:51 pm »
dorothy you are my composting hero:)

You don't know how much that means to me Jessica!

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 04:47:53 pm »
dorothy
Aren't you afraid for the glue in the cardboard? I would never compost paper. It has inkt, bleech and all other kinds of nasty stuff in it that i absolutely dont want im my compost. I use the compost for my veggie/berrie garden. No bleech in my food chain.

I'm thinking of raising some chicken for both eggs and meat but was still trying to figure out how to ensure a balanged diet for them without spending to much. Your maggot thing might well be the solution! Thanks. Maybe we should start a "paleo" gardening/livestock thread.
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 03:50:13 am »
dorothy
Aren't you afraid for the glue in the cardboard? I would never compost paper. It has inkt, bleech and all other kinds of nasty stuff in it that i absolutely dont want im my compost. I use the compost for my veggie/berrie garden. No bleech in my food chain.

I'm thinking of raising some chicken for both eggs and meat but was still trying to figure out how to ensure a balanged diet for them without spending to much. Your maggot thing might well be the solution! Thanks. Maybe we should start a "paleo" gardening/livestock thread.

Hey Hit - I read that cardboard is actually great worm food (granted a long time ago) because the glue is mostly made from horse hooves. Back then I researched it and the "ingredients" in cardboard were the perfect balanced natural diet for worms. Hope that hasn't changed much.

As for the bleach I've thought about that but I don't feel like it's a problem - at least the worms haven't told me it's a problem and they have told me that lots of other things are. Cardboard isn't bleached is it? I do feed bleached paper towels and tissues to the worms as non-bleached is outrageously expensive in comparison.

I read an interesting tidbit about worms - worms do not get their nutrition from the garbage itself - but from the life that feeds on the garbage. In the process of getting all the itsy bitsy critters to eat it processes the garbage and makes it into gold. The big question would be how the chlorine is processed by the worms, if it hurts the worms and if it is still in a form that is at all dangerous after the worms take it through their guts - because all those itsy bitsy critters and worms have a way of negating toxins in a way that is utterly amazing. If there are any mushroom fungi in the culture I bet that would negate the chlorine really fast as they can clean up the nastiest chemicals on the planet.

A culture of soil with the right balance of life can transform so many things into useful and healthy food that it blows my mind.

And YES  we most definitely should start a paleo gardening /livestock thread - great idea! I would just love that since my hiatus from here was in order to go outside and create vegetable gardens in the spring. I've been thinking about almost nothing but gardening lately.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 04:42:50 am »
Dorothy
I hope cardboard still is like that but most cardboard I see over here is glued with synthetic glue. I'm sure the small beings of our world can handle a lot of bad things but cl is toxic in just about every molecular structure you can restructure it in. So I'm still sceptical on that one. Fungi might have a shot at that.

I can tell your in love with real soil like I am. A living soil is amazing it looks alive constantly being shifted by bacterial and fungal activity as well as loads of worm tiling the soil for you.

are you familiar with bionomic gardening? I got an ebook about that if your interested

Not much time for posting here. Watt little time I have I spent in my garden trying to make my ambitious schedule. This is my first year of real gardening. Before I just had a balcony. since last fall I got my first garden. I worked the ground in fall and let the beds rest/build over the winter. My ground us already surprisingly alive for a first year. I'm planting and sowing lots of stuff right now. This year I'm aiming to keep building my soil
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 05:13:49 am »
Dorothy
I hope cardboard still is like that but most cardboard I see over here is glued with synthetic glue. I'm sure the small beings of our world can handle a lot of bad things but cl is toxic in just about every molecular structure you can restructure it in. So I'm still sceptical on that one. Fungi might have a shot at that.

I can tell your in love with real soil like I am. A living soil is amazing it looks alive constantly being shifted by bacterial and fungal activity as well as loads of worm tiling the soil for you.

are you familiar with bionomic gardening? I got an ebook about that if your interested

Not much time for posting here. Watt little time I have I spent in my garden trying to make my ambitious schedule. This is my first year of real gardening. Before I just had a balcony. since last fall I got my first garden. I worked the ground in fall and let the beds rest/build over the winter. My ground us already surprisingly alive for a first year. I'm planting and sowing lots of stuff right now. This year I'm aiming to keep building my soil

I've gardened a great deal but this is my first year that I've decided that I'm buying planting growing only food plants. It's a big change for me. I've only had one vegetable garden one summer decades ago on someone else's land. I have had nice flower gardens otherwise though - so a lot of what I know now is being put to more "practical" use. ;)

It's amazing what you can produce on a balcony - but a whole new animal moving out onto solid earth.
The funny thing is that it's here on the worst soil for growing that I've ever lived upon and the harshest conditions that I've decided to start producing my own food! I can't do anything without growing some soil. Our first big project has been in the shop rather than the gardening building raised beds. No sense in even trying to improve what is here - much better to go upward. But it's actually quite nice and we've built some beautiful things.

I wasn't the forum for so long because I was trying to get ahead of the curve with the growing season - but just couldn't make it. I've got some things growing but it's already too late to start most of what I had planned. The summer isn't part  of the growing season here for most things and even the things that will grow have to be in the ground long enough to survive the heat. So now I'm back to soil building and have some time that it is too hot to be inside chatting with you. :)

This is a real important conversation for me HIT because I'm right now building a massive bed based primarily on putting down cardboard and paper and letting the worms make good soil for me out of it. If I'm starting out by putting down toxic things that would be a massive mistake. The smaller bins are planted but have only a first layer of soil in them that will be built and added to. The massive garden is just getting started and all I've done is throw some boxes in it. I will need to find out of boxes no longer are made naturally.

I tend to get behind the curve with these things as I first started worms so long ago that the world has changed. It's hard to keep up with how many things have become toxic.

One of my plans was definitely to inoculate the soil with mushrooms. The garden is in way too much sun, but the shrooms would thrive under plants and could even in one season clean up the soil.... but still ... what you said about chlorine is really scary. I didn't know that! I'll have to research it more - any leads as to first places to read?

I'd LOVE to learn about bionomic gardening! I'm not familiar with it but looked it up quickly. Yes - please do send me any info you can on it. Thank you!

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 07:41:48 am »
Lookie lookie HIT - cardboard is good for gardens!

http://perrone.blogs.com/horticultural/2008/02/i-recently-had.html

That's a big relief.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk