Author Topic: bone marrow question  (Read 3361 times)

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
bone marrow question
« on: February 09, 2012, 02:46:05 pm »
I have my first taste of bone marrow from Slanker's today (either cow's marrow or bison's--I have forgotten). I had my first teaspoon of marrow cold. The second teaspoon was warm (warmed up in my dehydrator).  I cannot understand why people give it so much praise! ???

Can I dress up the marrow in any way? What spices can make it more palatable?  I have 12 pounds in my freezer and I really regret buying it.

Is there anyone there who disliked bone marrow but later  on developed a taste for it?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 05:04:38 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: bone marrow question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 05:09:39 pm »
There are two different kinds of raw marrow. One(from the upper leg) is soft, reddish and creamy, and tastes wonderful, the other type(from the lower leg) is dry as sawdust and tastes like sawdust. The latter is something one can eventually get used to but never really enjoy.

Also make sure that the marrow is 100% grassfed. I've had grainfed, raw marrow and it's absolutely foul.

Oh, and newbies often take a bit of time to get used to and enjoy all varieties of (healthy) raw meats. It takes something like 8-12 months to adapt if eating mostly raw. If you want to use herbs/spices I would suggest looking at online recipes for cooked marrow and using the relevant herbs mentioned there.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 01:26:30 am »
I find that 2+ years and I still have trouble eating some meats. I find it goes in cycles. For awhile I really like one type of meat say beef and then it changes to pork. Chicken has never been on the like list. Liver is great in minute doses.

Personally I think it is your inner intelligence guiding you to what your body needs. Taste, texture and smell are the guides.
Cheers
Al

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 02:08:56 am »
Yeah,I also find such instinctive things happening. Usually, changes in taste happen if I eat  the same food too often. I also have hated chicken but that, I think, is solely due to the fact that most organic etc.-raised chicken are raised on 100 % grain diets, so no wonder they taste foul.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 02:15:14 am »
-raised chicken are raised on 100 % grain diets, so no wonder they taste foul.

Tyler! Now don't tell me you didn't notice the pun!  ;D

I agree, and I suspect the breeding hasn't exactly helped either.
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk