Author Topic: Juicing in Primal Diet  (Read 13977 times)

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
Juicing in Primal Diet
« on: February 26, 2012, 01:18:57 am »
Hello all,

I've been a little skeptical of the benefit of green vegetable juices, but I recently stumbled across information from Dr. Natasha Campbell McBride of the Gut and Psychology Syndrome Diet (a modified cooked food, raw dairy, Weston A. Price diet for people with Autism and psychiatric disorders with miraculous results) and saw that she also recommended juiced greens and fruits for the following reason:

In order to activate the parasympathetic nervous system and to calm down the sympathetic one we need raw juices, rich in magnesium, potassium and other substances.

She would also include that they possess detoxifying substances and raw enzymes. However, I'm not all that interested in juicing (both for taste and expense) but I am interested in introducing raw cream into my raw diet, so I was wondering if juices would be essential to complement that.

Is juicing essential to the Primal Diet?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:51:55 am by TylerDurden »

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Juicing in Primal Diet
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 01:25:38 am »
There has been discussion on this topic here that may be of interest...
http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/hot-topics/autism-explained/170/
Cheers
Al

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:45:55 am »
Thanks, Al.

I remember reading that you juice once or twice a week, correct? Do you find that it's essential on the Primal Diet or when eating raw dairy?

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 01:56:19 am »
What I have found is that juicing seems to make my stomach feel lighter which I assume means it is cleaning it. In other words the material sticking to the walls of the GI tract has been released. Some of this material may be food in the digesting process but at a certain point it is just stuff that is not digesting and needs to "exit stage left".

I don't eat any white flour and haven't for many years but it is a good example of what I am referring to when I say 'sticking to the GI tract'. It is like glue in fact as kids we used to make mucilage or paper mache glue with white flour. This is the problem with reductionist theories about single or small groups of chemicals.

If you were to take the chemical constituents of flour they would individually possibly not be toxic, but when combined, they form a sludge which prevents anything else from getting through the walls into the bloodstream and then the sludge gets drawn into the bloodstream which mucks up the body causing disease.
Cheers
Al

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 02:47:02 pm »
In some cases juicing is not to be done on the primal diet.
"A genuine RPDer should always live by the coast." -TylerDurden Global Moderator Mammoth Hunter

Too often we get caught up trying to get to the end. What is most important however is to discover the beginning. We don’t solve problems or start to heal unless we can be willing, be kind, laugh a little and commit to seeking until we find. If we can, we’ll get started. I’ll meet you at the beginning!
“Reflections on My Travels…India” by Michael J Tamura ~ pg. 57

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 02:50:06 am »
What about picking dandelion and other free greens from your yard ( free) chew them and spit out most of the fiber ( no mess, quick, easy). Not going to get as much juice, but good quality from wild greens and predigested from chewing. I've compromised that way, but I'm not doing AV's diet. I just take what I like from his experience.
    I drink milk and cream alone, or with meals all the time. It feels great. Especial this spring. It is all I seem to want.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 06:33:12 am »
In some cases juicing is not to be done on the primal diet.

When is that?

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 08:29:47 am »

When is that?
When it causes uncomfortable reactions. It is completely dependant on the individual. Some can do very well on it, some cannot.

If it causes discomfort for a substantial period of time, that's a sign. Also different juices and or different combinations or proportions of combinations will have different effects.

AV has some great ideas and some very bad ones.

For instance getting sick periodically is a good thing/sign.  Duh, what part of pain is necessary.
Cheers
Al

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 02:00:13 pm »
What about picking dandelion and other free greens from your yard ( free) chew them and spit out most of the fiber ( no mess, quick, easy). Not going to get as much juice, but good quality from wild greens and predigested from chewing.

I chew greens for juice, too... nowadays, I'm using the term wadging, which I learned on this forum. I think chewing and taste are important signals as a part of the entire digestive process.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 03:44:59 pm »
I'm currently experimenting with the pd. I tried doing the diet without juices and honey for a few Weeks. I suffered. Low energy hard to get out of bed lots of cravings for thing I didn't eat for years (like grains). I recently reintroduced juices and felt good again after a few days. I think I need the enzymes and possibly the magnesium. green juice is the best way to start your day IMO. I didn't had access to raw honey for a wile which is why I didn't east that. I noticed that honey and milk 100% control cravings for bad stuff. Possible its the energy and nutrient density of those foods that I really need. I'm very physically active so need lots of nutrients. The green juices may serve a similar thing

@Adora
Dairy is always highest in minerals and vitamins in spring due to cows eating fresh fast growing grasses. Weston price also specially praised this dairy. I also find myself drinking lots of milk and eating tons of butter this spring.some days I don't feel like eating meat and I live on just milk kefir eggs cheese and green juices. Feel perfectly fine doing that.
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 03:34:41 am »
I think I might be one of the few people who really loves eating salads on the forum - especially baby greens that I grow out in the yard along with weeds growing inbetween my greens too. That way I don't have to drink nasty green juices (yes - I know - it's not nasty to everyone but sure is blechy to me!). However - I do like making vegetable soup in my blender with lots of herbs for flavor warmed up.

Sweet juices taste good - but often unbalance me - same with more than just a little honey.

My body seems to like fiber these days - I eat my fruits and greens whole or at the least use the blender - my juicers don't get much use at all except for a sweet treat once in a while like a little orange or carrot juice..

I've done just about every combination of raw foods it seems - but the one thing I could never stomach were green juices or green smoothies mixing greens and fruits. That hasn't changed over the last 30 years and does not change no matter how much dairy I eat or don't eat, but I do sometimes crave things like yam leaves which are extremely high in magnesium. I follow my desires for different foods at different times. Seems to work for me generally.

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 05:06:59 am »
I've drank plenty of fermented vegetable juices, but am unsure of how appropriate they are in an RPD or in my health regiment. Has anyone here had success with using green juices for detoxing?

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 06:20:42 am »
Just a quick idea for you fermenter - a raw diet in itself - any raw diet - is detoxifying. I've done fasts and all sorts of detoxification routines when I first started out so long ago - and basically - they all were just ways to keep me from getting to a more stable diet and getting the real benefits. As long as you are continuing to feel better and better on your diet you can bet that you are detoxifying but at a rate that makes sense. Detoxifying fast is not usually better unless you have a life-threatening disease that demands it - and then it can be dangerous so need to be done with great care.

I know lots and lots of people who swear by green juices and how good they feel with them and I know lots and lots of people who say that fasting on green juices really messed them up.

In paleo times I'm sure there weren't juicers - but is it really that important to be following the paleo diet to the letter for you?

If you drink a small glass of green juice - how does it make you feel?

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 09:07:54 pm »
If av sees a person and it is obvious to him that juicing will not help their health, when he recommends their diet, he will make one without juices. For example, juicing is not good for primal diet children.

Al, many have claimed to me that after a flu or other infection on primal diet that their health and body became and becomes better than they ever had anytime. I don't say you should, but in my life what one might call pain had been necessary. It depends on what your health needs are.

When it causes uncomfortable reactions. It is completely dependant on the individual. Some can do very well on it, some cannot.

If it causes discomfort for a substantial period of time, that's a sign. Also different juices and or different combinations or proportions of combinations will have different effects.

AV has some great ideas and some very bad ones.

For instance getting sick periodically is a good thing/sign.  Duh, what part of pain is necessary.
When is that?
"A genuine RPDer should always live by the coast." -TylerDurden Global Moderator Mammoth Hunter

Too often we get caught up trying to get to the end. What is most important however is to discover the beginning. We don’t solve problems or start to heal unless we can be willing, be kind, laugh a little and commit to seeking until we find. If we can, we’ll get started. I’ll meet you at the beginning!
“Reflections on My Travels…India” by Michael J Tamura ~ pg. 57

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 10:14:18 pm »

Al, many have claimed to me that after a flu or other infection on primal diet that their health and body became and becomes better than they ever had anytime. I don't say you should, but in my life what one might call pain had been necessary. It depends on what your health needs are.

Reyyzl,
I can see how you might think that I was saying that but I was saying that getting sick is an option not requirement.

If you eat foods that are inappropriate for you it does not matter who advises you to eat them, you will get sick.

AV tells EVERYBODY that they must drink milk. This is nonsense. It will make you sick if your body type is not OK with it. I am OK with milk but not OK with garlic for instance. If I eat garlic I will get sick and it will not be a pretty sight.

Yes getting sick can be good for you if you have done things to yourself with incorrect diet, lack of exercise, etc. but to invite sickness because somebody tells you you have to eat certain foods is morally reprehensible, irresponsible.

Each time you get sick you lose energy and have a miserable time. Why bother unless you don't have a desire to live.
Cheers
Al

Offline SaintAndScholar

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 02:02:36 am »
Reyyzl,

AV tells EVERYBODY that they must drink milk. This is nonsense. It will make you sick if your body type is not OK with it. I am OK with milk but not OK with garlic for instance. If I eat garlic I will get sick and it will not be a pretty sight.

Why are you allowed to spout this Ayurvedic gibbersih on a Raw Paleo forum.

"Body type" ,is that prana or yogic flying or elephant God stuff.

If a person can digest lactose, then they should eat dairy.That's the science of it.I am going to be destroying all your karma waffle .

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 02:34:39 am »
Why are you allowed to spout this Ayurvedic gibbersih on a Raw Paleo forum.

"Body type" ,is that prana or yogic flying or elephant God stuff.

If a person can digest lactose, then they should eat dairy.That's the science of it.I am going to be destroying all your karma waffle .

dont be a douche, its all just a different representation of the same thing and a difference in the language.

Offline SaintAndScholar

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 03:14:23 am »
I think he would be happier spreading his beliefs on an Ayurvedic forum, not a  Raw paleo forum.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 05:46:46 am »
Paleo diet is a very broad diet. People here use different methodologies for choosing their paleo foods. Instead of insulting other people's choices how about just stating how you make your own choices - unless you're just a troll of course.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk