Author Topic: Wild Deer / Bone Marrow Question  (Read 4267 times)

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Wild Deer / Bone Marrow Question
« on: February 26, 2012, 07:56:07 pm »
Hey forum,

I am lining up some wild deer. The supplier tells me that the deer is hung for approx 2 weeks after being killed before being butchered.

They have said they can supply me with bones for bone marrow, but will the bone marrow be good after 2 weeks of 'hanging around'?

Should I try and see if I can get them super fresh? (Not sure this is even a possibility)

Thanks,

Phil

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Deer / Bone Marrow Question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:20:52 pm »
They have said they can supply me with bones for bone marrow, but will the bone marrow be good after 2 weeks of 'hanging around'?
Yes — as long as it's been refrigerated or kept in a cool place. 
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:00:51 am »
There are theories that we were originally scavengers and first began using tools (rocks) to crack open bones to get the marrow. We would get to the bones after the tigers, lions, etc. had their fill. The lipids in our brains and marrow are similar. I leave my marrow bones out on a rack at room temperature to age. It tastes better raw at room temperature. It never seems to taste bad or smell off. I keep cloth over it so flies can't get at it in the summertime.
Naturally, Don

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:31:46 am »
Deer (and other land animals) are hung to age at temperatures usually between 32 and 38 degrees Fahrenheit, so yes the marrow should be fine.

Where do you live that you can purchase wild deer? I'd be worried that they were grain fed on a ranch and not raised on a natural, diverse diet of herbs and grasses.

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:50:06 am »

Where do you live that you can purchase wild deer? I'd be worried that they were grain fed on a ranch and not raised on a natural, diverse diet of herbs and grasses.

I live in the UK. This source is definitely not farmed  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk