Author Topic: acids and bases ph the body as chemistry set  (Read 5438 times)

Offline personman

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
acids and bases ph the body as chemistry set
« on: March 06, 2012, 04:59:46 am »
Is it a myth that acidic foods should be avoided? Why or why not. I have been hearing that calcification of the soft tissues can occur through consuming acidic foods. What are some thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:22:57 am by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: acids and bases ph the body as chemistry set
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 05:25:14 am »
It's a myth. Craig once mentioned how acidic he was on a raw vegan diet. The whole science behind the theory is wrong. For example, no matter what you eat, the body rigidly keeps your blood's PH value to within a very narrow range. Outside that range you die, so the theory must be bunk or we would always be under threat of death if our acid/alkali ratio were at odds.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 10:10:36 am »
     Blood pH is kept in tight control by respiration, then by mineral buffers including calcium. Some kidney stones can be related to blood acid balance but I don't remember the exact mechanisms. Also, with chronic tissue weakness, body will calcify soft tissue in attempt to prevent breakdown/rupture. I address ph with conscious deep nose breathing, and by eating foods I already like, most dark greens, that alkalinize my body. I love this stuff. Our bodies are so amazing. It is fascinating to learn about.
Enjoy
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 10:29:06 am »
Depends on what you mean. Strictly speaking, broad sweeping statements like that are usually an exaggeration, made by people with little knowledge other than a conviction that what is good for them is good for everyone. Firstly it depends on how acidic we are talking.

Most of the people here tried different diets and some tried fruitarian with disastrous results.

From a purely practical point of view, leaving all the reductionist science behind, some persons are able to consume more acidic types of foods than others which answers your question directly.

I am unable to eat acidic foods unless I consume a lot of fat to pacify my system.

If I do consume a lot of fruit I will get sick, plain and simple. The mucous membrane of my GI tract is eaten away and infection takes over. My teeth hurt initially, then I get sore throat, then I get upset stomach and then the house of cards comes tumbling down.

Others are able to consume more owing to the nature of their body, their daily habits, environment, climate, diet and basic body type.

A person who has problems with an acidic diet is referred to as being Pitta in Ayurveda.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 10:30:31 am »
However having said all that I am able to tolerate acidic foods more since going raw. Previously I could not handle honey at all and fruit/berries for the most part.
Cheers
Al

Offline Duke

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 12:26:16 pm »
As far as i know from reading, eating acidic food forces your body to utilize its minerals reserves resulting in minerals deficiency, brittle bones, etc.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:10:25 pm »
Most of the information about body Ph and its effect on health, is somewhat questionable or misleading, and probably  only relates to people who eat large amounts of grains and other non paleo foods.

Basically what I believe,

Acid forming foods when eaten in excess by people who are already on the verge of being deficient or are somehow unbalanced in minerals, could have some negative effects, if the body doesn't have the mineral reserves to properly neutralize the corrosive elements produced by the body through the digestive proccess.

By far the most damaging foods are grains and other high carbohydrate starches that may not initially be acidic, but there is acidic metabolic waste that is produced by the body as a result of digesting those types of foods, that can cause the body to have to leach minerals in the neutralization possess in order to maintain proper PH.

Some acidic fruits and vegetables can actually have a positive effect on the bodies PH, by keeping the guts PH properly balanced. After eating an acidic food such as a tomato or some other fruit, the gut itself wont have to produce as much of its own acids for digestion, and so wont have to leach its own minerals in the digestive possess.

( this is just my new theory, haven't really studied it too much, but my intuition tells me it seem reasonable)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:17:07 pm by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 07:33:50 pm »
Sabertooth, Very interesting, thanks.

I understand roughly what you are saying. Ayurveda says that the effect of different foods on the body changes at the end of the digestive process. I think bananas are the only ones that don't change. (I believe it is called their vipak)

What I was referring to was a more specific process that was pre-digestion. However AFAIAC it is a warning system from the body, that the post digestive result of the foods (to me for instance) would be disastrous. It may very well be for the reasons that you put forward.
Cheers
Al

Offline personman

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 07:55:32 am »
wow im convinced that no changes are necessary and no attention needs to be paid to the ph propaghanda further. alot of info here.
Adora: why not escape the US while you can and come to my survival retreat-same invite goes.to all parties. I will establish a.mealworm and chicken farm there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk