Author Topic: Botulism and Black beef heart  (Read 1921 times)

CitrusHigh

Botulism and Black beef heart
« on: March 15, 2012, 11:18:30 am »
I accidentally left some beef heart at my grandparents recently. It was from the co-op and I think they seal it with gas to keep it 'fresh'. Which I've requested them not to, and typically they comply, but this batch got vac'd for whatever reason. Anyway, so about a little over a month later I'm at their house watering grandma's plants and I check the refridge on the off chance I left something there. I did. Vac'd beefheart.

It looked like it was in pristine condition, super bizarre. I needed something to eat while I was there as I hadn't had a chance to do any shopping that day. So I cut the package open and gave it a whiff. Smelled kind of like cured meat or jerky. I wasn't convinced it was a good idea to eat it so I left it in a bowl on the counter for a day. Next time I looked at it, it was black, and I mean black. It was fascinating.

Only took a short time to go from 'fresh' looking to looking like black death.

Observations? Speculation?

Also I've read some folks post's on here regarding botulinum. Do you believe that the bacteria itself is dangerous if ingested, or just the toxins produced by that organism?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Botulism and Black beef heart
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 11:33:31 am »
As I understand it, botulinum toxin IS the toxin which is produced by the bacteria clostridium botulinum. The bacteria C. botulinum is found all over the place and does no harm if ingested. It produces the toxin anaerobically. We learned this in Home Economics back in the day when girls had to take Home Ec. to become good housewives who canned their garden produce.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

CitrusHigh

Re: Botulism and Black beef heart
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 08:02:52 pm »
Thanks Eve! Yeah, didn't eat it and disposed of with incineration sadly! Waste of good food.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk