Author Topic: A question about hormones/cycle and sleep  (Read 4690 times)

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
A question about hormones/cycle and sleep
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:03:48 pm »
I'm on day three - love it!

I have a bunch of questions, but I'm finding lots of answers by searching this forum and, more importantly, listening to my body.

One question I'm stumped on is around sleep and my menstrual cycle.

I am in my mid 40s. I'm in pretty good shape, 5'3", 114 lbs (give or take a few). I exercise with short intense cardio and weights.

About 16 to 18 days into my menstrual cycle I begin having trouble sleeping. I can usually fall asleep pretty easily, but wake up at 3 or so. I'm also really high energy during this time, yet kind of fatigued at the same time. (Tired and wired.) Then, when I don't sleep well, my knees get achy (I remember this happening since I was in my early teens).

BTW, An "alternative practitioner" told me that the progesterone pill would help this (apparently they call it the nite-nite pill). I don't want to mask the real issue, however, I have considered this just to give my body a little rest.
I feel that sleep is so important, and during this time I think the immune system gets out of whack (have Hashimoto's). So, I'd like to level the playing field a bit for my body.

I have some Green Pastures CLO on the way. I do take some magnesium before bed and last night I took two caps of valerian (only slept about 5.5 hrs).

I'm also planning to do some things to support and cleanse my liver. I know the diet by itself will probably be enough, but I may do other things. I've done liver cleanses before with pretty good success. I believe that "sometimes you need a thorn to remove a thorn." :)

I'm just curious if anyone has any insight or suggestions.

Thank you!
sg
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:10:34 pm by spicegirl_0101 »

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: A question about hormones/cycle and sleep
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 11:15:14 pm »
i have dealt with this in the past.... actually last year, and figured out after a whole summer of rising early with extreme anxious energy that is was really my adrenals pumping out adrenaline and very wearing on my body.  i have gone through premature menopause too(i am 29) so you can see i have pretty weakened adrenals.  i think it is best to not exercise at this time but do very calming activities.  also start doing research on anything to support your and calm you adrenals.

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 11:42:40 pm »
Yes, exactly. I wake up anxious. I do think it is adrenals. I did some saliva tests about a year ago and they were off. I hear that something called Seraphos (sp?) can help. I'm so careful about supplements though.

I hear you about exercise, but I have found that if I don't exercise it is worse. I am even more scattered. maybe I'll incorporate some power yoga.

I do know exactly what you mean about calm activities though. I constantly remind myself to be calm, work calmly, etc.

A friend of mine read Adrenal Fatigue (book) and I remember on exercise in there was to list thing  that give you energy and things that take away your energy. I always keep that in mind. I would also say a good twist on that would be to become aware of things that bring you anxiety and things that bring you calm. :)

Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:13:30 am by spicegirl_0101 »

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 03:16:02 am »
the exercise will just train your body to think that it actually does need to be alert at that time, and really will set up a vicious cycle......i know it sucks, i would want to run and do all kinds of crazy things first thing in the morning and then be burnt out by 3 pm.  it also has to do with the fact that your seratonin is at its highest levels first thing in the morning.  i think it is wise to do a lot of research  for yourself on this and figure out what is the best and most natural way to calm, nourish and strengthen your adrenals right now before they run themselves into the ground 

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 03:27:11 am »
Jessica,

I appreciate you sticking to your guns and staying with me on this. I will heed your warning and re-think this.

I am really committed to short and simple, weight/body weight workouts. Any suggestions around that. Do you think it is still okay to do them, but do them later in the day?

Thanks,
Karen

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 09:07:14 pm »
of course you should exercise throughout the day and doing pretty intense but short bouts is probably just fine.  i know without any exercise i have a hard time getting a good deep rest.  i am also MUCH more aware, almost by necessity now, of real energy and false anxious energy and am really close to paying attention to what i am working with.  i really am only so adamant about this because i WISH someone would have recognized this in me years ago!  i think its excellent advice to tell your body it is OK to sleep through at least 6 am if you can stand it, because during those hours it can actually rest and repair your adrenals instead of burning them out.  make sure before you go to bed you let your body and mind know there is nothing to bolt out of bed for, and you can even do exercises in your mind to focus on the parts you wish to specifically heal.  i know it sounds silly and esoteric but it may be something you are interested in and work for you.  know that you are also in a cycle/age in your life where it is okay to slow down and  really relish things and not have to be so anxious to get through stuff or to be the first or best or fastest:)  because i am sure you have plenty of accumulated inner wisdom that compensates for these things most of us so desperately try to attain earlier in life that lead us to be really kind of hyper active/alert

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 02:29:04 am »
hi jessica,

i really get what you're saying. btw, you really can't get to esoteric for me. i'm very right brained;)

you have a good point. i do a lot of spiritual work, although, i am also very driven. so, sometimes i forget to just let things flow.

i have several friends who experienced adrenal fatigue and the recovery was mostly about lifestyle changes. my herbalist (who is totally paleo and probably would think raw was fine) has given me a tincture, but i'm never sure if it is worth it to take things for adrenals.

did you do anything to support your adrenals? i feel as though they are tricky and would appreciate anything that worked for you.

thanks,
sg

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 10:40:52 am »
i am not sure a tincture would be too overwhelming to the adrenals.  what does it contain?
  really i think focusing on gaining/maintaining good habits, being intuitive and honest about how your body feels(this requires some relearning!) and being very aware of ones self mentally, spiritually and physically are the best way to go.  it sounds like you are in a very good place to really start working towards healing.  also i wanted to suggest that if you drink any coffee or caffeinated teas that they can be extremely over stimulating to the adrenals and probably not the best idea.  dietarly just focus on whole foods nutrition, look into what vitamins and minerals are good for the adrenals and then eat foods that contain high amounts of those....i know vitamin c is one.  also sometimes the adrenals being stressed causes other glands and organ systems to over compensate, so basically just treat your whole body well and remember to do calming things when you feel that anxious energy instead of letting it take over til you run out of energy

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 10:52:08 pm »
I've not consumed caffeine on a regular basis in a long time and I gave up my occasional "cheat" coffee and dark chocolate two months ago (REALLY helped with pms)

Herbalist gave me vital adapt: http://www.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/vital-adapt-4oz-p-natura-health-products.html

I just looked at the label carefully and the adrenal supplement does list green tea. Other than that it  I prefer not to take anything with caffeine and green tea tends to make me edgy (haven't had it in years).

I agree about slowing down and listening to my body. I have a lot of support for that (my lifestyle, audios, etc.). I do have a demanding job, however, I just need to take it easier.

Do you eat 100% RAFs?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk