Author Topic: HOME GARDEN  (Read 3212 times)

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
HOME GARDEN
« on: March 26, 2012, 12:35:56 pm »
I am putting fruit forest in my country home. Good quality old fashion trees are hard to find. Most of these fruit trees are dwarf or semi-dwarf...etc., so having a hard time to buy them from local nurseries. Any way, I put last week 3 persimmon trees (each of them are $80 from Adam) and a black walnut tree ($60). Today I buy 5 trees (peach, pear, apple, prune, cherry) and each of them are about $20 from local home depot. I'm looking for black jack fig trees to buy (please, help me any one from New York area). I will plant apricot next week or so. I do have big swampy land where I plant exotic tropical plants which is almost maintenance free. I am planning to put marigold in my property (which is deer resistance). So much wild deer in my property. What to do to precut these fruit trees from deer?Please, share your garden experiences here? Thank you.
bugs or country chickens

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: HOME GARDEN
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 09:45:06 pm »
grow native fruit bearing shrubs and trees, buy from better stock than home depot! you can spray things with egg yolks and cayanne sauce diluted to help keep deers out but best defense is a dog

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 10:52:43 pm »
I am putting lots of fruit bearing trees in the front of my home just for beauty. Where I have acres of land full of native trees. My back yard has wild grass. jersey cows or sheep can mow on those grass. Trying to put some ducks in the property. Organic soil has lots of warms on it. I wonder, if I can eat those earthworms or if I can feed my children. Definitely they will be good for my chickens and ducks. Please,share your gardening ideas here.
bugs or country chickens

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 02:23:09 am »
turkeys are very easy to raise, the reason i suggest more native fruit bearing trees and shrubs is that they will produce better, less irrigation, amendments, better suited for climate.  can you grow figs in new york? persimmons? i thought it was way too cold up there for those....?

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 09:18:03 am »
Jessica, you are so right. In my property, often I see so many wild turkeys, geese...etc. I definitely consider to have some turkeys with chickens and ducks.

Front yard will be decorated by fruit trees and flower garden, I just love the feelings to see fruits trees... . peonies are also good plants for the deer.

figs grow very well in New York and so do persimmons. I love pomegranates and I will try to put one up there.

This year I will grow watermelons in my city home. I do have a good size backyard. Looking for star jasmine vine. Couple of yrs ago they are found everywhere, now I can't find them. I put some jasmine in my GA home, then I sell my home. It's very hard to sell property after raising trees. Those trees become like own children. So far I am not planning to sell any of my properties, so I can plants anything I like and my grandchildren will be enjoying my trees.  Please, keep posting the new ideas. 
bugs or country chickens

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 10:38:12 pm »
We prepare our soil for this summer garden. I have too much mints on my ground. Any one lives in NYC and wants some own mints, feel free to contact me. I also planning to decorate my second fl balcony with flower baskets and grapes vine. For me it's a pleasure to see the garden.
bugs or country chickens

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 07:35:44 am »
    I'm interested in finding black organic mission fig trees for planting as well. I have not been able to locate any yet.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk