Author Topic: Where can I get raw cream or butter shipped to me?  (Read 21829 times)

Offline Charlie4444

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
    • http://www.healthylevelup.com
Where can I get raw cream or butter shipped to me?
« on: April 01, 2012, 11:23:52 pm »
I'm in Vermont, so the place in California is out of the question.  I've had no success with Amish farmers, and the one who does make raw butter seems to be a very lazy amish farmer from speaking with him on the phone.  I don't understand how people talk about having raw butter so readily available all the time!?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I get raw cream or butter shipped to me?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 03:10:26 am »
you have so many resources near you www.eatwild.com and localharvest.com also search for local farmers markets and then figure out what ranches sell there and contact the ranch, there is no way you have limited resources, vermont is so tiny you have to have all kinds of options near by

Offline Charlie4444

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 04:03:26 am »
you have so many resources near you www.eatwild.com and localharvest.com also search for local farmers markets and then figure out what ranches sell there and contact the ranch, there is no way you have limited resources, vermont is so tiny you have to have all kinds of options near by

^Appreciate this but despite things being close, no one makes butter, they just sell raw milk.  I'd have to call each and everyone one to ask if they do it.  I don't get it, how does aajonus always have raw cream and butter?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:54:12 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Spirit Bear

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 04:55:13 pm »
He's in constant communication with the producers to make sure his foods are made exactly to his specifications.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 11:33:45 am »
  I don't get it, how does aajonus always have raw cream and butter?

Do you realize how long he's been doing this diet?  ROFL

Seriously, I used to have trouble finding good sources for high-quality, inexpensive raw foods, but, after 12+ years eating a raw diet, it has gotten MUCH easier. It just takes some time.

However, if you're LUCKY, like GoodSamaritan, then you live in a tropical food paradise, and it takes almost zero time, once you actually know which raw foods to get. ROFL

Offline Charlie4444

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 11:57:19 am »
Do you realize how long he's been doing this diet?  ROFL

Seriously, I used to have trouble finding good sources for high-quality, inexpensive raw foods, but, after 12+ years eating a raw diet, it has gotten MUCH easier. It just takes some time.

However, if you're LUCKY, like GoodSamaritan, then you live in a tropical food paradise, and it takes almost zero time, once you actually know which raw foods to get. ROFL

^
Are you rolling on the floor laughing? 
And still nobody has been able to provide any concrete way of getting raw butter, just their own opinions which weren't asked for.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:53:35 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 01:59:02 pm »
Perhaps this website will be useful. It specifically tells you if the farmer sells butter or whatever type of raw dairy:-

http://www.realmilk.com/where03.html
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Charlie4444

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 12:27:53 am »
Perhaps this website will be useful. It specifically tells you if the farmer sells butter or whatever type of raw dairy:-

http://www.realmilk.com/where03.html

^ I've tried this and called all these local farms, nobody makes butter!  There must be some sort of larger distributer of the stuff.  The only one I found was in California and interstate commerce is illegal for them. 

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 05:11:21 am »
get raw cream or whole milk, let sit on counter top til the super thick cream separates, skim that off, put it in a jar, shake it til it separates further and becomes butter........

Offline Charlie4444

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 06:29:54 am »
get raw cream or whole milk, let sit on counter top til the super thick cream separates, skim that off, put it in a jar, shake it til it separates further and becomes butter........

^how to skim off the cream in a glass jar?  And raw milk is so expensive and this is such a long process and I alread spend enough time in the kitchen for raw paleo, it's just a burden!  But maybe I'll give it a try
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:10:26 am by TylerDurden »

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 10:48:55 am »
Try contacting your nearest weston a price foundation. Thats how I got my awesome amish dairy connect.
-----------

Offline RedMeat

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 11:02:12 am »
Try contacting your nearest weston a price foundation. Thats how I got my awesome amish dairy connect.

Why can't you post your contact directly on the forum? Don't they have a website?
Is it the same Pennsylvania Amish dairy farm that Aajonus  recommends?

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 11:33:24 am »
Why can't you post your contact directly on the forum? Don't they have a website?
Is it the same Pennsylvania Amish dairy farm that Aajonus  recommends?

because people interested in dairy will want to find a local source.  most farms in the u.s. at least can only legally sell raw dairy from the farm... they cannot ship, deliver or even advertise... only a sign on the farm.  troll's advice about weston price website was a very good one for finding a local resource.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 01:35:40 pm »
My source is for nyc only. If thats where hes from I would post it gladly.

Check weston price, also eatwild.com
-----------

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 02:14:21 am »
I know in PA you have to go directly to the farm and ask them for raw butter "pet food" or raw cream "pet food." Even if they sell raw milk, they can't legally sell raw butter or raw cream (due to animal fat restriction laws I believe) and they won't tell you over the phone if they have it because you may be a FDA mole. Go in person, be very polite, and ask. If they deny, tell them your health status and see if they actually do have some. Your best bet will actually be to contact your local Weston A. Price chapter leader and ask where they get their butter and cream, and often they have a connect they can put you in touch with. http://www.westonaprice.org/local-chapters/find-a-local-chapter

Offline CS

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 06:39:00 pm »
Here ya go

www.pastureraised.net

Nice guys, they offer all sorts of raw dairy from sheep, cows and goats, raw meats (beef, chicken, pork) including organs, and various fermented stuff. Everything is 100% grass-fed, organic, and fresh (unfrozen).

Pasturised works the way cowshare program does, you pay $85 or somewhere around there for a year's membership, agree to waivers that state you like e.coli and want your food to contain it  O0 , and they'll give you a phone call to make sure you're legit. Gotta say though, they're kinda pricey.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:24:12 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Charlie4444

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 07:47:26 pm »
Here ya go

www.pastureraised.net

Nice guys, they offer all sorts of raw dairy from sheep, cows and goats, raw meats (beef, chicken, pork) including organs, and various fermented stuff. Everything is 100% grass-fed, organic, and fresh (unfrozen).

Pastureraised works the way cowshare program does, you pay $85 or somewhere around there for a year's membership, agree to waivers that state you like e.coli and want your food to contain it  O0 , and they'll give you a phone call to make sure you're legit. Gotta say though, they're kinda pricey.

Thank you
I actually checked this out before but got frustrated on the complicated membership but am now going to do it.  The only weird part is that how do you know they are providing you with the products they say they are.  It'd be pretty nifty if they sold you regular pasturized butter, but I guess this is unlikely, haha. 

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 01:49:08 am »
 Charlie, making raw butter is actually kinda fun. If you can find raw cream to buy then you don't have to buy whole milk - but even so - it's worth it.

Shaking the jars does take effort and time - but if you ever sit and watch a movie that's the time to do it. I still do this if making just a small amount of butter.

I usually use my food processor though as it has a bread kneading setting that works perfectly. It's so easy it's almost scary. ;) My blendtec blender on it's lowest setting also works well.

You can buy devices specifically made to turn butter automatically on-line too.

Do you know much about whey? If you get whole milk then you can also make your own fermented whey. If you don't want the leftover curds or cheese - it's still worth it to get the butter and whey.

You leave the milk out in a stainless steel pot or something like it with a wide open top - not a tiny jar - to ferment for a day and let the cream come to the top - then just scoop off. Making butter that is fermented is not only easier but it tastes much better and feels better imho.

The trick with shaking the cream is that it will get harder and hard to shake and then suddenly get easy. That's when the butter and buttermilk have separated and you have made butter.

You can use the buttermilk for things - but I usually just pour it on my compost bin. You take a mesh strainer and pour the butter and buttermilk in it to let the buttermilk drain and then rinse the butter with very cold water to make sure all the buttermilk is out.

Once you do it once or twice it's as easy as can be and takes little time. I've made pounds and pounds of butter at a time. The more you make at once the easier it is because then you have lots of it sitting in your fridge waiting for you whenever you want it and it stays well in the fridge a very long time and butter is the only milk product that I find freezes well.

Even if a farm near you doesn't have butter it might have cream to make butter with. Farmers don't often make butter because it simply doesn't not make economic sense for them to do so - it is not that they are lazy. They can sell their cream for more money than they can sell the amount of butter made from that cream. Why should they spend that extra effort and not be paid for it?

Also - remember - most people don't like butter without salt so a lot of time that you can find butter it is salted and besides - rarely is it fermented. Fermented butter is magical and likely the only way you are going to find that is to make it yourself.

After you stay on the diet a while you get more energy and these things become habits and second nature. I remember how much time I used to spend cooking. My milk production days in the kitchen still save me lots of time and produce something that feeds me better than I could get any other way and taste amazingly delicious.

Good luck to you with your search.

Offline FireStorm

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 11:55:30 pm »
Charlie,

I have to agree with Dorothy. Making your own cultured butter is not only magical, it's actually kind of fun and satisfying.

I do mine with either a small hand butter churn (from Lehman's Non Electric's website) or with my stand mixer and the flat-blade attachment (I found that if I missed that 'break' point using the wisk attachment, my butter wouldn't "but" -- the whey would be beaten back into the cream and it wouldn't work well.

A couple of tips that work for me, down here in the deep south... make sure you chill your bowl. It helps the cream to coagulate. And know your farmer. One of the best investments I ever made in my health was visiting farms until I found a farmer that I could develop a relationship with.

Everything we start out on new is going to take some time, while we trek the 'learning curve' -- but it does get faster and easier. I used to have to spend hours in the kitchen every week to be able to prepare my food. Now, it takes me about 20 minutes, total, a day, plus about 2 hrs on the weekends, and 4 hrs once a month or so when I do heavy-duty stuff like butter-making or prepping veggies to start ferments. Grand total for the month, that's less than 20 hours a MONTH I spend on making sure I have healthy food. I work full-time, volunteer on the weekends, and am working on a novel and other craft stuff, as well as home care and other projects, but I think my health is worth this.

Another tip that made a big difference for me: Automate where you can -- prep stuff in advance for the week as much as possible, and rotate a small selection of meals during the week, so things become routine. Keep fancy stuff for weekends or vacations, when you have time to make them without stress, and enjoy eating them without stress, too.  I only make butter on the weekends once a month -- but I make enough of it that it lasts me the whole month PLUS a little to stock up in my freezer.

In terms of finances, I've trimmed a lot of other areas of my life in order to be able to have the best possible food. Does it cost more? Yes, it does. I know, because I've done the one-to-one comparison -- but the difference in how I feel, and even how I interact in the world, is worth every single extra buck (or 50).

I guess what it boils down to is how much living a healthy, whole, sustainable life is worth to you, both in money cost and time cost -- if it's really valuable, then making homemade cultured butter is a reasonable option.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk