Author Topic: Raw Dairy  (Read 9027 times)

Offline Waungata

• Trapper
  • Neander Valley
    • View Profile
Raw Dairy
« on: May 22, 2008, 01:04:33 am »
Where is the best place to get raw dairy. I'm only able to find raw cheese but not milk, cream or butter.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Raw Dairy
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 01:30:37 am »
This is a good website for finding info on local raw-dairy sources:-

http://www.realmilk.com/where2.html
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Waungata

• Trapper
  • Neander Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 01:37:31 am »
Thanks Tyler. What a good resource for raw dairy!

Satya

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 02:42:04 am »
Where is the best place to get raw dairy. I'm only able to find raw cheese but not milk, cream or butter.

It can depend on where you live.  The laws for raw milk vary state to state in the US, so you may need to research that.  That realmilk website should help you in that regard.  I know California has had some changes in the law, and you can see the latest on that on AV's blog as well, if you are in that state.  In fact, He has a message regarding Pennsylvania as well, so that may be a good resource for you concerning legal availability of raw milk.

http://wewant2live.blogspot.com/

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 02:03:39 pm »
My understanding is that California and Pennsylvania were the only two states in the union that allowed the retail of unpasteurized dairy (other than highly salted raw cheeses). The laws are always changing, and to further complicate things sometimes "they" break the laws and confiscate farmers milk anyway. This happened in Pennsylvania just this week I believe, I'm thankful it wasn't the farmer that supplies my co op.

I've heard if you find a farmer in the area (hopefully organic) that you can develop a relationship with, you might be able to "work something out." Seek and perhaps ye shall find, whether legal or "extra-legal."

Satya

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 02:14:19 am »
I've heard if you find a farmer in the area (hopefully organic) that you can develop a relationship with, you might be able to "work something out." Seek and perhaps ye shall find, whether legal or "extra-legal."

Good suggestion about the local farmers.  If space and time permits, you can raise your own dairy animal yourself.

What I want to know is: if I raise my own cow or goat, can I legally drink the milk?  If so, then what is so different about me buying the same product from my neighbor?  I doubt the government has become that intrusive, but ya never know.  I live in a semirural town where horse and cattle farms are scattered all over.  A couple years back, the city outlawed poultry within the city limits due to overblown fears of bird flu.  I am in the city and I raise a whooping 5 laying hens.  I think they eventually threw that law out, as many people raise various animals, and really, can they outlaw the wild ducks and turkeys? 

I think the whole legal issue of raw milk revolves around the fear of raw foods carrying pathogens, and especially raw animal foods.  We must unlearn what we have learned, to borrow from Master Yoda. 

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 04:01:54 am »
I think the way the laws work is that it's illegal to retail it in a grocery store. They have certain licenses, and retail stores cannot get a license to sell that. I just noticed that the health food store I frequent in Philadelphia started carrying raw milk when previously they only had organic or grass fed "gently pasteurized" (whatever that means) milk. So maybe they were able to get the license because the laws were relaxed.

As far as a private agreement between two people I find it hard to believe you could outlaw that. I think it's mainly a licensing issue for retailers. Better to cut out the retailers and do business directly with the farmers anyway!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 04:06:53 am »
AFAIK, many (though not all) US States forbid even cow-sharing agreements between customers and farmers, so just owning a cow and consuming its milk can be made illegal.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 03:13:40 pm »
AFAIK, many (though not all) US States forbid even cow-sharing agreements between customers and farmers, so just owning a cow and consuming its milk can be made illegal.

Unbelievable...or rather I should say I wish it was unbelievable, loss of personal choice and freedoms is accelerating at a scary rate.

xylothrill

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 02:06:54 am »
In Florida, you can by raw milk for pets only and it is marked "not for human consumption."

Craig

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 02:11:14 am »
In Florida, you can by raw milk for pets only and it is marked "not for human consumption."

Craig

Yes, but anyone with brains can still pretend to buy it " just for their pets", if they want to. In the UK, it's different, I gather that Northern Ireland, and definitely Scotland, forbid the sale of raw dairy but  England and Wales allow it(the trouble is that the raw-dairy-industry is unregulated so that a number of unscrupulous farmers deliberately sel lightly-pasteurised dary asbeing supposedly "raw".
" Ron Paul.

Offline TheWayCreatesTheWarrior

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
    • WhereHaveTheBuffaloGone
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 01:34:37 pm »

when i was doing raw dairy i just had to drive about 45 minutes(still in Massachusetts) to a farm that sold raw milk and cheeses. all they did was put a sticker on the jug that said something to the effect of
" this is unpasturized and contains biological organisms" or something like that. it was a pretty cool set up, it was by the honor system, so id just have to write down what i took and what i expect to buy the next week and put my money in a cigar box. as far as im aware it was all legit, although it was kinda weird having to go at midnight and dodge the spotlights j/k ;D.
little hint: when you get the riddle at the door, the answer is "New England Clam Chowder".
There can be no mercy in the heart, of the heart, of the Wolf.

Offline TruthHunter

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 11:31:02 pm »
People used to put a silver dollar in their milk jugs to prevent spoilage. I guess the effect is similar to colloidal silver.  I wonder if you could make raw milk safer than pasteurized milk by processing it through a high surface area silver coated system. I suspect the effect is not so much from dissolving silver as from contact between the silver and the bacteria. If so, negligible  amounts of silver would be added to the milk and a milk product could be safe without being pasteurized.  Or silver plated reusable containers could be used. It is possible that raw milk could be done that would keep longer than pasteurized milk.

The preliminary testing should be quite simple. Get some pure silver wire  and make a pump  through sieve to process the milk.  Process it for different lengths of time, then see how long it takes to spoil.  Also, perhaps more important would be some highly precise testing to determine how much silver turns up in the milk.  I  doubt you would see enough to cause Argyria even in a lifetime of use, but this could be a limiting factor.

Before marketing, more extensive testing would naturally have to be done, for example with specific pathogens, but it wouldn't be too expensive to do the proof of concept testing before seeking funding. 

Colloidal silver is extremely broad spectrum, so I suspect it would be effective.  Harmful bacteria are selectively killed because they are positively charged on their outer membranes. Silver kills them without effecting the body. For this reason, beneficial bacteria might not be effected the same way.

I would prefer milk to be unprocessed in  any way, but think it would be wonderful to trump the asshole zealots who want to heat everything and provide a milk to the general public that would be even safer than pasteurized and RAW!

TruthHunter

Offline seesawsemiology

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 01:25:08 pm »
in washington state you can get raw milk or cheese but butter is illegal to purchase "for human consumption"
reeeeeediculious....
this is a funny country.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk