Author Topic: The Permaculture Book of Ferment and Human Nutrition  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
The Permaculture Book of Ferment and Human Nutrition
« on: April 09, 2012, 05:19:04 am »
Anyone read the new (or old) edition of this book?

It was out of print for several years, but was re-written and re-released as a new edition so is again available. It's a small Australian publisher though, so getting a copy to the US looks like it will cost $70 or so.

CitrusHigh

Re: The Permaculture Book of Ferment and Human Nutrition
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 09:06:15 pm »
Ask Jessica, I think she liberated it for a friend, so may have experience with it?

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 05:57:45 am »
The book's not cheap, but it's occasionally available through Powell Books in the US and I just bought it. Decent chapters on fermenting and storing a range of meats, including sea foods, terrestrial meats (including poultry, game and even insects) and dairy.

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 10:38:07 am »
I read it. It essentially lists different ferments from different cultures. I didn't have much time with it, but I didn't remember it enlightening much in terms of procedure. It was essentially a catalogue. I did however enjoy reading "The Indigenous Foods of the Sudan" which gave detailed descriptions of the huge variety of fermented foods in that culture, including FERMENTED MEATS!!

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 10:42:49 am »
yeah it has a ton of recipes and instructions on how to ferment and preserve everything from many different cultures
fish, eggs, how to preserve all parts of the animal
also it has a lot of beverage recipes from all around the world
heh, my friend amy owns it now........sorry telluride library, it was really that good and she was meant to have it, i think if you can find it for 70, have the money and really want to use the text it is worth it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk