Author Topic: Juicing  (Read 11328 times)

Offline Waungata

• Trapper
  • Neander Valley
    • View Profile
Juicing
« on: May 22, 2008, 01:28:59 am »
Where would anyone find a good juicer to suit their needs?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 04:39:08 pm by THE ENFORCER »

Satya

Re: Juicing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:44:50 am »
I've bought a juicer and have made the first recipe of green juice. What is your favorite combination? I'd really like to make the milkshake and coffee substitute but don't have raw dairy. Could I substitute almond milk for the raw dairy?

I don't juice often, but I enjoy carrot, apple, beet and ginger.  It has quite a bite to it if you get more than a nub of ginger in there!

You can make coconut or almond milk yourself.  Just soak the flesh first, throw in the blender with water and a date or two if you want sweetness.  Strain and use the dregs for raw pie crust and cookies.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 01:59:59 pm »
My usual juice is one head of celery, a cucumber or squash or both, sometimes carrots or beets, and sometimes parsley or cilantro. Then I blend it with unheated honey and lemon or lime juice.

You could substitute almond milk but I'm not sure it would have the same effect. If you're looking for a coffee substitute I actually stumbled onto one years ago as a raw vegan. Unfortunately it uses raw cacao, which I have some apprehension about now, I'm not sure it's really raw and even if it is I don't believe it's very health giving of a food. At any rate, I made a thick sesame seed milk and put in cacao and agave nectar, you could use honey. I'm not sure on the amounts, but if you mess with it and put in a little cinnamon if you like you can find something in there that tastes a lot like iced coffee. Maybe carob would give a similar flavor in a healthier way than cacao.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 03:05:00 am »
I was going to make a new thread for this but decided to tack it onto this one.

The topic is: Replacing green juice with organ consumption.

I don't look forward to making juice, it takes a little while and doesn't taste good enough to justify the time it takes to make it. It requires a big heavy machine to sit on my counter top, and worst of all perhaps the ingredients (fresh fruits and vegetables) are the most expensive part of my diet. Celery, cucumbers, carrots, cilantro etc. are very expensive, and hard to find local sources.

Why do I drink it? In AV's books he says it's the best vitamin/mineral supplement you can make. Also it allows me to drink less water, and I believe is even more hydrating than water because of the mineral salts.

The question: Could I replace drinking juice with eating organs? Organs, especially liver, are very high in vitamins and minerals, perhaps higher in some than my juice (lb for lb). Organs are also generally cheap, cheaper than muscle, and give you protein and fat as well as the vitamins and minerals. It takes less time to cut up a 1/4 lb of liver and eat that then juice my usual juice recipe. It doesn't require the juicer to be up on the counter.

Perhaps I won't go to either extreme, and just eat organs for now and then go back to juicing if I feel like it. It just really gets to me that I have to do it every day (juicing) when I really don't feel like it.

Satya

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 05:41:04 am »
I don't look forward to making juice, it takes a little while and doesn't taste good enough to justify the time it takes to make it. It requires a big heavy machine to sit on my counter top, and worst of all perhaps the ingredients (fresh fruits and vegetables) are the most expensive part of my diet. Celery, cucumbers, carrots, cilantro etc. are very expensive, and hard to find local sources.

Yes, green juice is impossible without technology.  Why not eat the greens instead?  All that veggie sludge ... my chickens would like it ... but juicing wastes much of the produce, doesn't it?   And produce IS really expensive now.  And you are right that liver is a way better choice for vitamins and minerals, and at $1.89 for grassfed beef liver, sliced and all, it is a much better bargain. 

Liver is high in copper though, isn't it?  Our well water has a lot of copper naturally, so I try to limit liver to once a week.  We filter our water, but I have never tested it for copper after filtering.  It's not harmful levels, just at the high end.  But I am digressing off on a tangent.

I would try the middle road of some juice, some organs.  I am saving so much money eating less plant matter than I used to.  Animal foods have more protein, fat, calories, vitamins and minerals than most, if not all plants.  It is a slow process for me to switch over, as I love fruits and veggies.  But I have come to the realization that 1) plant foods are not necessary for health in daily doses for many people, and 2) in the natural world they are all only available on a seasonal basis outside the tropics, and thus, not available year round. 

Satya

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 05:48:07 am »
Check this for how apples, carrots, red meat and liver compare nutrient-wise:

http://thehealthyskeptic.org/natures-most-potent-superfood/

Offline TheWayCreatesTheWarrior

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
    • WhereHaveTheBuffaloGone
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 10:33:26 pm »

i used to have a juicer but got rid of it because it was such a hassle to clean(Jack Lalane).

i actually liked the taste alittle, and i didnt have any fruit in it.

i plan on getting a cheap one and juicing every other day or so, seeing i never really eat any greens.

i always found it kinda odd that Aajonus recommends juicing so much.
when deciding what is "natural" for us to consume i always try to imagine actual paleo peoples, or myself just living without civilization, i cant see anyone muching on too much vegetation. i assume the "need" to have green juice nowadays is just because were so off the beaten path dietarily in our culture that maybe to bring us back, and remineralize/alkalize, we need things like green juice, at least for alittle while. plus im sure stuff in greens like chlorophyll help bind with modern day toxins form pollution that our forbearers did not experience.

i did feel a benefit from green juice when i was consuming it, so im going to start it again.
There can be no mercy in the heart, of the heart, of the Wolf.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 01:01:52 am »
I think AV makes a reference that the reason why he recommends so much dairy fat and green juice does have something to do with the dangers of the modern world.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 04:53:15 pm »
I was going to make a new thread for this but decided to tack it onto this one.

The topic is: Replacing green juice with organ consumption.

Why do I drink it? In AV's books he says it's the best vitamin/mineral supplement you can make. Also it allows me to drink less water, and I believe is even more hydrating than water because of the mineral salts.

The question: Could I replace drinking juice with eating organs? Organs, especially liver, are very high in vitamins and minerals, perhaps higher in some than my juice (lb for lb). Organs are also generally cheap, cheaper than muscle, and give you protein and fat as well as the vitamins and minerals. It takes less time to cut up a 1/4 lb of liver and eat that then juice my usual juice recipe. It doesn't require the juicer to be up on the counter.

Perhaps I won't go to either extreme, and just eat organs for now and then go back to juicing if I feel like it. It just really gets to me that I have to do it every day (juicing) when I really don't feel like it.

When I started juicing, I also found the taste and the expense of buying organic veg/fruit a real nuisance. Plus, i started getting diarrhea after drinking too much of it(the kind where you have no more than 60 seconds warning to go to the bathroom). I'd get an initial rush of energy which would dissipate quickly into a period of fatigue. Raw organs(if grassfed/organic) were SO much cheaper and much less hassle to deal with, unlike veggie juice had noantinutrients, and were more nutritious . As regards the issue of natural food, the taste of raw solid veg is pretty bland, one reason why most vegans eat mainly raw fruits. I don't mind eating a few raw solid veg like samphire or the odd carrot, on occasion, but that's about it for me.

If you're set on using the juicer, I would suggest adding sweeteners like raw honey or, if you must, raw cream(this is what Primal Dieters do to conceal the appalling taste of such juices. Also, it's, apparently, best to buy a really expensive juicer like the GreenStar juicer as you will then be able to save much more money in the long-term due to needing to use much smaller quantities of veg-fruit per glass of juice.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline political atheist

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 03:00:06 pm »
If I drink vegetable juice 30 minutes before a meal that contains raw meat, raw butter, raw onions, raw eggs, raw honey... would the vegg juice interfere the digestion of the meal?
Pumping out units, I mean kids, aka bringing innocent beings into this ‘heavenly’ dimension of misery, suffering, struggling, pain and DEATH, WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION/CONSENT, is NOT the solution/remedy/cure for your personal problems/issues such as: boredom, poverty, selfishness, loneliness, low IQ, **megalomania, shallowness, emptiness, vanity, hero complex syndrome, narcissism, virtue signalling syndrome. Please stop being a sadist, masochist and find a more useful/constructive hobby. 😉

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk