Author Topic: had raw beef at a restaurant  (Read 3690 times)

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
had raw beef at a restaurant
« on: November 07, 2008, 08:45:48 am »
I went to a Korean restaurant last night that I'd been to before and it was different. Sadly the sushi bar was gone from the menu, but much to my delight was replaced by a more extensive Korean menu including a beef tartare dish! The beef was very tender and reminded me more of sashimi than the beef I'm used to. It was mixed up with Asian pear slices and some kind of chopped nut, maybe pine nut, surrounded on the plate by thinly sliced and folded cucumber. A cucumber "dish" held an egg yolk that they put on top of the meat in front of me and also poured on some spicy sauce (the only unhealthy part of the whole dish) and mixed it all together. It was really really good, probably the first time I preferred the meat to be raw rather than cooked in terms of taste and texture.

I also got a cooked beef stew that appeared to have some intestines in it. There are now dishes like beef intestine casserole and other such authentic Korean fare.

I'm planning on supporting them as much as I can by going there as often as possible. Before my only good option for reasonably healthy food was Japanese but now I have another! I really can't get over it, it was a very positive experience. They gave me a lot of attention while I was there asking how everything was and talking to me because I was enjoying a dish that probably no other "American" ever tried, and this added to the positivity.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: had raw beef at a restaurant
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 09:09:01 am »
Congratulations on your find!

We have a good number of Korean restaurants in Manila.  In fact we have a Korean invasion of the Philippines going on right now.

What was the name of the Korean dish on the menu?

Maybe I can order the same thing here.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 09:13:54 am »
that's pretty cool. Korean eh? I'll have to see if there's a korean restaurant near me.
There's an oyster bar in town that has a deal that's 12 or 13 raw oysters, a raw tuna filet, and 1/4 lb. of raw shrimp for $13. I need to hit that up soon haha

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 06:26:03 pm »
Wow!  That sounds amazing raw Kyle.  I'm going to have to have a look around for Korean restaurants here in the UK for the odd occasion that I do have to be 'sociable' and eat out with friends.  I'm surprised they're allowed to serve such fare with regard to ridiculous health & safety issues etc.  Would they have provided the beef stew & intestines raw for you if you'd asked?

All in all it sounds more interesting than the obligatory bleu steak I'm usually forced to endure when eating out.  The best local raw dish I can have (although it's only on the menu at my favourite restaurant  occasionally) is a beef carpaccio starter.  Having said that, I did have to go out for my daughter's 10th birthday recently to a Chinese buffet restaurant and it was only after I'd filled up on cooked duck & salad that I found it would've been possible to load up on slices of raw beef/lamb and raw king prawns by simply then avoiding going to the Teriyaki bar to have it cooked!  So, in addition to your Japanese and Korean options, it may be worth seeking out Teriyaki bars!

Michael

1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline golooraam

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 03:56:31 am »
I am not always super strict but I tend to order something raw if I go out for dinner

for Etheopian places, always kitfo

burgers places - always cooked rare

if steak tartare is available, I always order it

I have seen the same korean dish you speak (although here in california) and am planning on ordering it next time

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk