Author Topic: Smelling and fever like symptoms after restarting  (Read 9292 times)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Smelling and fever like symptoms after restarting
« on: May 06, 2012, 09:12:24 pm »
Hey everyone. I recently restarted raw paleo.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced fever like symptoms, and smelling horrible.

I have a runny, stuffy nose. I feel congested. And my arm pits reek after having showered last night.

Are these typical things to experience when starting raw paleo? Is it detox?
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Smelling and fever like symptoms after restarting
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:43:25 pm »
Wouldn't completely surprise me. Everyone has some sort of reaction in the beginning.
Cheers
Al

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:01:43 pm »
I also developed a huge pimple on my inner thigh, and got the first acne I've gotten in a while on my face.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep trucking through it.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:37:30 am »
If the symptoms are too much you might want to go a little slower. It is always difficult to determine if something is a symptom of detox or if you are eating something that is not right for you that your body is trying to get out of your body.

Example - when I came here and was trying to convince my husband that eating raw red meat wasn't going to hurt him I did so by eating lots of raw red meat in front of him even though I hadn't eaten red meat in about 20 years. I started getting this hard, gravelly stuff coming out of my eye. I thought I was detoxing something. After convincing hubbie that not even Miss Super Sensitive to Foods (aka me!) could be really harmed by raw meat he started on it too and it seems to really sit well with him. Then I was able to pull back on the meat consumption a good deal but every time I ate it this hard stuff would come out of my eye. I pulled back almost completely and started only eating the red meat when it really appealed to me - which was only once every month of two - but then I didn't get the "detox". Then...... I ate something that I have figured out was really pretty bad for me and have known it a long time with lots of experiences of feeling sick - pasteurized, homogenized, chemicalized nasty old cheese and guess what - I got the "detox" symptom of gravel coming out of my eye! That's how I learned it was no detox of something old at all - but my body just trying to get out quickly something it didn't like that I had recently put in.  If I drink coffee for instance the armpits smell so bad I can't stand it and I know coffee is particularly bad for me.

So, maybe some of your symptoms or all of your symptoms are detox and maybe they aren't. I still can't help but to wonder about all those apricot kernels!

Try to use intuition and experiment a little to try to figure it out. The difficulty of figuring out if something is detox or not is usually why I suggest to people to change only one thing at a time if possible. It's easier to figure out than if you changed everything all at once.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 01:19:05 am »
My diet consists mainly of...

2 oz pastured chuck roast, some avacado, a fruit, and 2-3 seeds.

I eat a lot of meals per day, it's 1 pm where I am and I've already had 3 since 7 am.

I don't like eggs, and can't seem to find any fatty cuts of other animals.

I think I need more fat. I should look for olives

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 01:38:17 am »
I would try eating the fruit at a different meal. I wouldn't be able to mix fruit with the rest of those things myself consistently and feel good.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 02:26:00 am »
What's your reasoning for that?

I eat fruit with my meat so my body doesn't use protein or fat for energy.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 03:06:32 am »
I've been experimenting with diets for 30 years now and once upon a time a very long time ago I read about food combining and tried it out. Most of it didn't affect me the way they said it would but not mixing fruits with meats ended up being good advice that seemed to help me. Fruit and vegetables also don't work well for me. I didn't eat raw meat back then so that might be a factor and it might not be the same for you anyway - but it's just the first thing that struck me about your diet that I knew would make me personally feel bad.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 05:30:22 am »
What's your reasoning for that?

I eat fruit with my meat so my body doesn't use protein or fat for energy.
I would not mix fruit and meat.

Ayurveda says that fruit digests very quickly and thus shoots though the system quickly. For instance, you should not eat fruit after a heavy meal because the fruit will digest so quickly that it will catch up to the other food, and then just sit on it and gurgle causing indigestion.

Their digestion requires different processes. In Ayurveda it is considered there is a long list of different types of fires (chemical reactions) that occurs in the GI tract. There is a proper sequence,  just as if you are lighting a campfire. You start off with paper, then kindling, then large sticks and then logs. You would never get a roaring fire going, burn it down to coals and then throw a can of gasoline on it. Fruit is like gasoline.

What is wrong with using animal fat or protein for energy?
Cheers
Al

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 05:40:04 am »
I would not mix fruit and meat.

Ayurveda says that fruit digests very quickly and thus shoots though the system quickly. For instance, you should not eat fruit after a heavy meal because the fruit will digest so quickly that it will catch up to the other food, and then just sit on it and gurgle causing indigestion.

Their digestion requires different processes. In Ayurveda it is considered there is a long list of different types of fires (chemical reactions) that occurs in the GI tract. There is a proper sequence,  just as if you are lighting a campfire. You start off with paper, then kindling, then large sticks and then logs. You would never get a roaring fire going, burn it down to coals and then throw a can of gasoline on it. Fruit is like gasoline.

What is wrong with using animal fat or protein for energy?

I want to use all the amino's and fatty acids for repairing old tissue. I want the foods to slowly encourage rebuilding out of the proper nutrients.

I don't want to deprive myself of carbohydrates, therefore making my body need to use fats and proteins for energy..

The way I see it. My body's using the carbs to fuel tearing down old (likely rancid) nutrients and rebuild with raw nutrients.

I also like carbs. They're great for basketball, weight lifting, and help my though processes.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 05:44:58 am »
You still haven't explained why you cannot eat them at separate times.
Cheers
Al

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 06:03:19 am »
I can eat them at different times.

But I really don't think it makes any difference.

I've been doing it for some time, and I always feel fine.

I understand not eating fruit after a cooked meal.

But it's my opinion that all raw foods digest relatively fast, and with ease. Meat and fruit alike.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 06:11:34 am »
Actually - you aren't feeling fine. You are having some symptoms or detox or whatever it is.
It's just a suggestion as to something to experiment with to see if it affects what you are wishing to affect. That's the only way to determine if what you are feeling is detox or not - to experiment to see if by changing something your symptoms go away or not.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 06:17:28 am »
Maybe it's nothing to do with detox, but simply orthorexia. Just  a very likely thought!
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 06:30:40 am »
Not meaning to be a smartipants but I got the impression that you wrote this post because you were having problems.

If what I am suggesting is a cause of the problems wouldn't it make more sense to try it out just to see, rather than defending a possible causative agent?

Sometimes problems take a long time to manifest.

I had a friend who suffered from arthritis. At some point in talking to him I discovered that he loved potatoes and potato skins.

I mentioned that potato skins are a well known to be toxic. Potatoes are nightshades. They will cause issues, one of which is arthritis. The skins carry the toxins. It is particularly bad if the potato has grown close to the surface of the ground or if they are exposed to light during storage causing them to turn green. The green indicates a high level of the toxic chemicals.

Anyways after explaining this to him he said emphatically that there is no way he could have that problem, because he has been doing this for years.... Duh!

Diseases don't generally crop up over night.

Ayurveda has a disease theory called 'leaking tap, bucket, dirt field, weeds'.  ;D

Out in a freshly ploughed field is a bucket with a tap over it. The tap is leaking a small amount. It takes a long time to fill the bucket with the drips, but eventually it does.

When the bucket finally fills, it leaks over the side and the water then starts the weeds growing which spread like wildfire once they get hold. The drip is toxins making their way out of the GI tract through the osmotic barrier of the intestinal walls, into the blood stream and spreading out till it get stuck in some part of the system.

It takes a long time, but it eventually builds up somewhere in your body and then it starts to choke off some organ or area of the body in the same way that sludge builds up in a radiator in your car 'frinstance.

At some magic point when the bucket is full (blood flow is restricted or stopped in that area or organ) the section of your body gets past the 'Tipping Point' and disease sets in. Takes a long time generally and then you have a chronic disease.

Sometimes that time frame is short and you get an acute disease.

BTW the toxins don't mean the usual bogeymen like the demon 'mercury'. Toxins can be foods that don't digest properly for whatever reason.

Using the fire analogy, because digestion is essentially a chemical reaction which is what fire is,  if you throw gasoline on a fire, it will possibly explode, snuffing out the fire, causing smoke and ashes to be spread all over the place. This smoke and ashes translates into no digestion (indigestion) and toxins.

That's how they put out oil well fires, with explosives.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 06:42:45 am »
Tyler, orthorexia LOL we all here might be accused of that!

Dorothy, Sorry I posted quite quickly and missed your post.
That's how I discovered I was lactose intolerant many years ago and gave up pasteurized milk. Eventually I discovered I could handle raw milk no problem.
Cheers
Al

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 06:59:44 am »
Lol sorry raw al and dorothy. I lost sight of what my original post was about.

I'll try eating fruuit say, 20 minutes before a meal and see if that makes me feel better.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 08:24:34 am »
I've heard that it can take up to half an hour for fruit to move though and maybe longer for others with digestive problems. That's the kind of thing Tyler might know more about I would think - physiological data like that. But letting the fruit move through first should do it.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 08:25:08 am »
Al - we seem to be on the same page!  ;D

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 08:29:24 am »
Al - we seem to be on the same page!  ;D