Author Topic: gsatric bypass surgery  (Read 12782 times)

Offline blackrhino

• Bear Hunter
  • May we all prosper in optimal health!
    • View Profile
gsatric bypass surgery
« on: May 13, 2012, 02:06:44 am »
Hello all,
Has anyone had the gastric bypass procedure and,after the fact,went on a RFD?How was it tolerated?
YOU NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU ARE UNTIL BEING STRONG IS THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE!!

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Re: gsatric bypass surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 12:04:22 pm »
really?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline blackrhino

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 10:17:15 pm »
ok,you have my attention!
YOU NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU ARE UNTIL BEING STRONG IS THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE!!

Offline intrigued

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 02:27:57 am »
This surgery has always seemed utterly insane to me, but I guess it "works" for some people.  I think wodgina's reaction is because your post comes off a little as "I'm thinking about having this surgery, will it work with raw food diets?".  I imagine the response to that will be "don't get the surgery".  On the other hand, if someone has already had the surgery, and is trying to get better, I'd say that certainly warrants discussion.  I'm not sure which you're asking so you might want to clarify, but I'd have no experience with the matter either way.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 02:39:55 am »
i think the consensus is DONT.
work on self controll, building up your health and a healthy lifestyle.....there are no quick fixes in life

Offline blackrhino

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 03:51:31 am »
I was going through the process before i came across the raw paleo forum.Going through the process is up in the air,not a definite.Im using the forum like everyone else.If theres someone thats going through the same thing i just wanted some advise.Something that i really ever want to contemplate but i felt as tho i was backed into a corner.Thanks( intrigued )for breaking it down

Offline blackrhino

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 03:53:20 am »
Thanks jessica,i will try harder.Sometimes words of encouragement is all a person needs to continue to push forward!

Offline intrigued

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 06:23:59 am »
I'm assuming this is purely for weight issues, as I think that's the only real effect of this (and helping with issues that are weight-induced or exacerbated, obviously)?  I actually figured you were referring to a friend, i'm surprised you are the one looking into this while also checking out the RPD path. 

I don't have a ton of experience with it myself, but it seems like a lot of the RPDers notice definite telling signs from their bodies before/during overeating.  I did notice this myself the times I've tried it.  This sense can get thrown off by cooking, spicing, combining foods, etc., but basically if you're just eating some meat and fat, your body will tell you when you've had enough in a very tangible way (for me, when eating meat there was a definite point where all the sudden it doesn't taste as good, and then I was kind of gagging a little getting some of it down - I didn't learn about this effect until after I had experienced it).

I could never see getting a surgery like that.  It's a very permanent change with serious risks that you're making in your body in the hopes of replacing some self control issues that should be dealt with at the source.  Again, it does "work" for some people, but I wouldn't ever suggest it.  I think you're on the right road here, with changes in diet though.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 06:45:43 am »
Rhino - would you please explain more of what you mean by "going through the process"? What is the process, how long does it take and can you back out?

I know that the medical community problably has scared you witless about how obesity is such a killer, but really, it's the diet that you are on more than anything that is the killer - not the fat itself. The moment you change your diet you are starting the process of reversing everything. If you get thin instantly and don't make the changes to your diet you are still at the same risk. If you change your diet you gain in the long run not only the right size body for you, but health to go along with it.

The shortest path is not always the wisest path.

Offline blackrhino

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 07:22:34 am »
Being overweight has been an issue for me,but when im under stress.Im out of control as far as overeating.Thanks for the information intrigued.There have been times where i was eating raw grass fed beef,then a while later i would feel that gagging effect that you spoke of.

Offline blackrhino

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 07:42:29 am »
dorothy,going through the process refers to the steps leading up to the surgury.Psych. eval.,cardiac tests,sleep study.(checking for sleep apenea).I can back out, its not something that once you start, you cant stop.I was going through the process last year and i stopped because i came across this program that you lose weight through eating raw vegetables,at first then work your way up to fishCooked).I lost 54lbs in 4 months. then months later gained it back,which brought me back to the gastric bypass again.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 08:13:17 am »
i think with the proper support and determination you can definitely loose that weight yourself, what is your diet, exercise and lifestyle like right now? if you arent fully into raw then i would suggest checking out marksdailyapple.com where there are a TON of success stories, i think he offers excellent diet and exercise advise.  sometimes people try to change to drastically, like going from the standard american diet to raw vegan overnight and it just too big and unnecessary a change and that is why they dont loose weight. same with going from being overweight to permanently and drastically changing the way your body can digest food...that makes no sense!  if you have a problem with over eating check out overeaters annoymous and see if there are meetings where you live. 

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 08:16:09 am »
Being overweight has been an issue for me,but when im under stress.Im out of control as far as overeating.Thanks for the information intrigued.There have been times where i was eating raw grass fed beef,then a while later i would feel that gagging effect that you spoke of.

If you were on a high fat diet, you'd be in markedly better control and in markedly less stress.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 08:35:43 am »
dorothy,going through the process refers to the steps leading up to the surgury.Psych. eval.,cardiac tests,sleep study.(checking for sleep apenea).I can back out, its not something that once you start, you cant stop.I was going through the process last year and i stopped because i came across this program that you lose weight through eating raw vegetables,at first then work your way up to fishCooked).I lost 54lbs in 4 months. then months later gained it back,which brought me back to the gastric bypass again.

What were you eating when you gained the weight back?

Offline blackrhino

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 09:33:38 am »
Thanks jessica,ill check that site out.I jumped right into raw,but am struggling through it.Before that everything and everything unhealthy

Offline blackrhino

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 09:34:47 am »
Good samaritan,
When you say high fat,Do you mean just animal fat?

Offline blackrhino

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 09:39:08 am »
Dot.,
I was eating lots and lots of carbs!The one thing that i am proud of is that i didnt go back to sodas when i fell off.I havent had a soda in almost two years!

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 09:50:14 am »
Dot.,
I was eating lots and lots of carbs!The one thing that i am proud of is that i didnt go back to sodas when i fell off.I havent had a soda in almost two years!

Rhino - Dor would be better than Dot if you are looking to shorten.

So, the gaining back had nothing to do with the diet that got you thin. It was just that you couldn't stay on the original diet. I bet you will find raw paleo easier to stay with. I highly suggest you give it a try for awhile before moving ahead with the process. You don't have much to lose except pounds and sickness right?

I'm glad you found your way here before having completed the process. 

Offline blackrhino

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 10:04:31 am »
Im glad too dor,I really believe in this diet is the truth and the light!Also a community of people giving advise and helping each other,one big family!Extremely grateful to be here.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 11:16:27 am »
I have had a good response to methods suggested by Gary Taubes' book Why We Get Fat. Richard Atkins has good "how-to" advice in The New Diet Revolution. I have personal experience with overcoming binge eating, persistent thoughts of eating, and weight loss with RPD using high-fat, moderate protein, very-low carbs. It's best to seek advice for overweight, insulin-resistant people, which is what Taubes and Atkins offer. Dietary advice for people close to normal weight does not work for very obese people.

After I read Taubes' book and understood why I was fat and what to do about it, I wanted to buy two copies of the book for every doctor who ever tried to get me to lose weight and shove one copy down his/her throat and the other copy up his/her...

...but I digress. Read the books. Surgery will not make you well.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline intrigued

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 08:42:32 pm »
It's some heavy reads, but if you're interested in the effects I was talking about, you might want to take a peruse through the instincto/anoposology stuff, and here's a great start - http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/instinctoanopsology/instinctoanopsology-explained/

As with anything else, take with a grain of salt.  The general mood on this forum, which I believe is a VERY positive thing, is that you should listen to your own body and do what's right for you, because that's not going to be the same as what's right for someone else. 

You may also want to check out the journals subforum for some inspiration.  If you're feeling up to it, you may want to start a thread of your own where you can jot down your daily/weekly activities and any issues you have/how you're doing with them.  It'd probably help you get some more specific support here, as well as help you track your own activities and progress, to look back on what's causing problems for you vs what's working well.

Offline blackrhino

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 10:26:09 pm »
Thanks eveheart

Offline blackrhino

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 10:31:30 pm »
Thanks intrigued,I appreciate the valuable info.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 06:15:31 am »
surgery is the worst idea ever. This past year iv spent countless nights in terrible gallbladder pain that im sure would have sent almost any other person to the hospital to have it removed. These nights were also spent staring at tylenol pills that I had taken out yet managed to keep myself from ingesting. I eventually ended up flushing my liver and am now virtually pain free besides some slight discomfort I experience once in a while. I would be totally pain free if I had the time to do some more flushes but they take recovery time and I am busy and feel as though Iv healed to an adequate level for now.

The lesson is never to go for a surgery no matter how terrible things seem. You can cure anything naturally. THe thought of some bonehead doctor poking around and cutting up inside of me is so terrifying and seems so wrong.
-----------

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 06:21:51 am »
The lesson is never to go for a surgery no matter how terrible things seem. You can cure anything naturally. THe thought of some bonehead doctor poking around and cutting up inside of me is so terrifying and seems so wrong.

I agree with this Troll - except that I would put an "almost" in front of that anything ..... but weight loss compared to your gall bladder - ABSOLUTELY!

And if no one has patted you on the back for that lately - I send you a digital pat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk