Author Topic: US Wellness Pet burger review  (Read 6426 times)

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
US Wellness Pet burger review
« on: May 17, 2012, 08:06:05 am »
Hello all!

I just today received a large order of US Wellness's Pet Burger. I got it both for myself and also to feed my dogs.
For those who don't know, it's a mixture of 65% lean ground beef (90% of total product) with 5% liver and 5% heart. 

I found it randomly while looking on the website... didn't even know of its existence, but I was excited for multiple reasons when I found it. First of all, the price, especially when bought in bulk, can't be beat. Second, both my dogs and I have been lamenting the overly lean grass-fed beef that is available locally. The amount of fat in this mixture is great. Third, who couldn't use a bit more nutrient dense organ meats? Well, I could, at least.

The only thing that made me a bit wary was wondering whether the liver flavor would be very pronounced. I must admit, even though I've eaten raw liver many a time, it's still not my favorite. I was pleased to discover that I couldn't taste it at all, in fact it tastes really good!

Offline gc

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: US Wellness Pet burger review
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 09:25:25 am »
Sounds good.
insert signature here

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 11:05:46 am »
i may give this another try since you're doing well with it, but i've given this to my dog and it gave her g.i. issues. also, the organ content is rather low.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 12:12:40 pm »
i may give this another try since you're doing well with it, but i've given this to my dog and it gave her g.i. issues. also, the organ content is rather low.

Hmm.. I'll have to monitor how the dogs react to it. Like I said, I've only just received the shipment. I've read to expect loose stools for a few days because of the higher fat content than they're used to, but we'll see.

As for the organ content being low... I'm certainly not planning on using it as an organ replacement, but it's nice to get some extra in there anyway

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 11:56:33 pm »
bcg, have you tried this yet?  let me know how it goes!

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 12:41:04 am »
I used to eat this daily during my early Paleo days (which was only like a year ago). I would much rather eat the organs separately, personally. I like ground beef, but the addition of the organs made it really hard to eat, unless I seared it for flavor. Also, I think it's risky to eat ground meat, as you are surely getting a whole cocktail of bacteria within the whole burger, rather than just on the outside as with regular cuts. Some people here aren't concerned with bacteria, but I am still cautious to an extent. I ate it for a while without any consequences, however, so I can't say it's inherently unsafe, but I wouldn't recommend it. Treat yourself to some real cuts like brisket or chuck roast.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 01:40:44 am »
right now i am eating "pet food" that is bison heart, liver, kidney and bone meal all ground up or the same mix of turkey, tastes good, very organy... definitely more like pet food then eating the separate organs but its the only way i can eat heart or kidney.  its got a few bits of bone in it but most of its ground up.......seriously some day i expect a huge worm to devour me whole

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 01:46:57 am »
well, i do eat dog food for the organs, but this us wellness one i really meant for my dog  ;D

this one is: 90% ground beef that is 60% lean
                    plus 10% organs (5% ea of heart and liver i think, it's not much)

anyway, i do not eat that much fat. that's too much for me.  the last time i gave that percentage to my dog she was not a happy camper.  i don't think i'd try it again, just wanted  to hear how others are doing?

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 01:56:17 am »
FZ, this really was about my dog, but thank you!  also, i have no fear of anything ground. at my sickest, i could digest ground the best, but not whole cuts.  now it doesn't matter. when i eat ground it is to include organs (cuz i'm still too much a wimp to eat them whole)... the taste i really enjoy!!... or if i want to make a steak tartare type dish. I don't have any fear regarding my raw, half-way rotting meals.  only fears for me are indulging in that banana-almond butter classic  :P

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 08:38:13 am »
Ioanna -

Yep, been eating this and giving to the dogs as well. They seem to be doing great on it; one of the dogs had stools on the loose side for about a day or two, but that's done with. I'm doing just fine with it myself.

FZ -

I actually don't find this to be very different from normal ground beef. There is a hint of organ-y taste, but it's not bad. And yes, I can definitely tell through the texture that the fat content is higher than normal, but again, it's not too far off. I kinda like it. For me, it beats eating the organs separately, even though I continue to do so but less amounts. As for bacteria in the ground meat, doesn't bother me at all. I've been eating raw ground beef for years and never had a problem. As for other cuts, I get them as money permits. Just finished up a nice chuck roast last night actually. I miss the days when I could afford grass-fed ribeye... maybe I'll treat myself one of these days.

Jessica -

Is that from north star bison? I saw something from them that is like what you describe. I would have liked to have tried it, but from what I recall, the ground muscle portion was 90% lean, and that's just too lean for me. I'm surprised you have more trouble with heart and kidney than liver, because for me, liver is way less palatable than heart or kidney, which I actually enjoy.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 01:57:44 am »
hey boxcar, its from a local supplier, ranch food direct.
there is no ground muscle meat in it just hearts, kidneys and livers that ends up being %60 fat and 30% protein and whatever else is water and bones.  their beef is heinously grain fed and i cant eat it but they get their buffalo from somewhere here in colorado i am have always though bison cannot be grain fed and i love turkey so i make an exception and eat it regardless of their diet.  i am really appreciating it mixed in with ground muscle meats since thats generally what i eat.  liver is the most delicious thing to me, but it has to be either slightly frozen or cooked for me to really appreciate it, i think that is the only state that it is easy to chew, i think it would be delicious in a smoothy though and wish i had a blender as i would probably blend it and add it to everything

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 03:34:55 am »
jessica, good to know, maybe it is just a matter of adjusting to the high fat. i'm like you.. i love liver (in my special, raw prepared way only).  kidney is my least favorite, i find it so repulsive on its own, but its in the organ mix my farmer makes for me too.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 06:23:32 am »
what is your special raw prepared way?

also isnt this dog food frozen?
-----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk