Author Topic: wapf salt article  (Read 12467 times)

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
wapf salt article
« on: May 28, 2012, 12:35:10 pm »
This seemed more convincing to me than aajonuses claims.

http://www.westonaprice.org/vitamins-and-minerals/the-salt-of-the-earth
-----------

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: wapf salt article
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 01:20:54 pm »
i don't know what is the answer re salt, but this is just the other extreme end of the spectrum.  i don't like reading things that sound like they are trying to sell me something or sell me on something, and that's exactly what this does. it reads like sally fallon received a ton of money from the salt industry to write a persuasive article... it annoyed me, really.

toxicologically speaking, salt is a 'toxin'... the body works to excrete it immediately.  if the there is more salt in a person's body such that it exceeds the rate of elimination, the person dies. there are plenty of cited literature to this, and disgustingly, parents used salt to kill their own children, others as a punishment.

if small amounts of added salt have benefit, could be.  i personally don't add salt to anything just because i don't have the desire.  when i do add salt, i don't like it for one, and it just doesn't feel right for me.  i sweat a lot, i think.  i work out, plus i take 'hot yoga'.  i don't crave salt.  i don't eat it.  i don't get cramps or any other sign of ill-health.  i do sometimes crave seafood which may have something to do with salt?... and i do like the salty flavor of an extra bloody red meat sometimes... maybe my salt needs are met that way.

ps. TOD, i'm glad and thank you for posting the article. i hate when my criticisms are negative, and I don't know what the answer is!... i know lex (still?) adds salt to his meal each day. if it works for you and you like it, like how it feels for you, then i wouldn't worry about it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:29:32 pm by Ioanna »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 03:38:22 pm »
*TOD and others, could you please, please not always try to post your threads in the General Discussions forum. Yes, I know you want maximum visibility for your thread, but many of those threads should have been put in other forums. This practice makes the general discussions forum over-large and too vague, topic-wise,  while making the other forums smaller than they need be.*

This thread should have gone to the Hot Topics forum as salt is non-palaeo. Done so now.

Ioanna's points are dead-on. Sally Fallon is just doing a plug for the salt-industry. Besides, salt only became used en masse in the Neolithic era. Plus, salt was used for preserving meats on long journeys and for making cooked meats more palatable.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 11:23:54 pm »
thats like saying she was paid off by the meat industry to promote meat even though there is no evidence of that especially since she doesnt recommend corporate meat and says we should get the purest meat we can from local sources, something I dont think "big meat" would want her to do. Same thing with salt, she says not to get the "big salt industry" fortified and refined salt but only to get the completely natural variety, something I think the salt industry would be very opposed to.

id say pretty much all of those people that were harmed by salt were from dirty big name salt brands. WAP reccomends salt like this which is the salt equivalent of wild game vs, factory meat.

http://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/product/Celtic-Sea-Salt-Coarse

I find her point about early people drinking the blood to fulfill their salt needs to be especially curious. since I dont drink blood wouldnt I be deficient in salt?

I think its best to analyze her points which seem more valid to me than the anti salt people rather than just get paranoid about it because you disagree and say she was paid off.
-----------

Offline whatever

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 11:36:04 pm »
The amount of salt used in chemical, fertilizer and de-icing purposes is many much more than the salt used in food. I don't think the salt companies have much to gain if people used more salt in their diet.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:42:20 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 11:44:57 pm »
the salt companies have nothing to gain from people buying unrefined and unfortified salt.

also the feds trying to ban salt makes me very suspicious of anti salt claims. usually anything that the feds try to ban is actually good for you.
-----------

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 11:57:59 pm »
Satya, a former member,  once pointed out that Sally Fallon was a con-artist who avidly defended a grassfed meat farmer, recommended by her WAPF organisation, even after  members of the US public had  condemned him for deliberately feeding his supposedly 100% grassfed meat cattle partially on grains. So she is clearly in league with companies to make profits.

Incidentally, I used sea-salt previously after several years of rawpalaeo as a little experiment. It was a disaster, as I felt a sharp, unpleasant, very acrid feeling in my mouth so that I had to stop after just consuming a couple of pinches of sea-salt. Clearly, it was my body's way to tell me that it was a toxic nutrient.

As regards natural salts, they exist in  meats as well, not just blood, so there's no need to eat sea-salt/rock-salt.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 11:59:35 pm »
the salt companies have nothing to gain from people buying unrefined and unfortified salt.
Not logical. I've seen standard companies selling unrefined salt in supermarkets for profit. The FDA etc. is hurting their profits as so many foods are overly laced with salt, so they are doing a counter-attack via Sally Fallon etc.
" Ron Paul.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 12:06:27 am »
where is your proof for this counterattack? Sounds like paranoia to me.

Also the only place iv found pure salt, without stuff like anticaking agents, which even the salts which claim extreme purity have, was whole foods and other health food stores. every other place just carries crap.

and please dont give me these baseless conspiracy theories of sally fallon being paid off. Give me some proof or else your just wasting my time.
-----------

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 12:22:38 am »
Satya talked about this and specifically mentioned a local WAPF chapter she was in which was involved. She wasn't making this up. Ask her over at dirtycarnivore forum for more details on the story. She's in charge of the forum, last I checked.

As regards salt, I've bought it also, once or twice, since going rawpalaeo, from health food stores(planet organic), and it was wholly unrefined salt. Whole foods is a con, the store in the UK that they have sold meats that were low quality but very expensive. There are far better stores out there.
" Ron Paul.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 01:10:57 am »
I know whole foods sucks, im just saying that and other health food stores is the only plae iv seen pure salt.

also i dont understand what you are telling me satya was talking about. DId she uncover some hidden funding or something? Im confused as to what you are trying to convey here.

asking me to sign up for another forum just to ask one question is a bit much. Why cant you just tell me what she said?
-----------

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 01:20:09 am »
Personally I dislike salt. It only seems like a good idea with the first taste but it's results to me are quick and decisive, similar to what Tyler said, however some people do very well and in fact require salt added to their diet, because of the way their physiology is. I didn't read Sally's article, but just skimmed it, looking at the usual salt myths.

I doubt she is being paid off by "Big Salt" but, she is clearly one of those who like and do well on salt.

A friend of mine has high blood pressure and discovered it was mainly from drinking a small container of V8 juice with his lunch. Salt is hygroscopic and so when it gets into the bloodstream it wants to swell it with moisture and presumably that is why salt causes this issue. It also causes other serious issues and Ayurveda says it will cause prematurely grey hair.

I've used salt on my food twice, the first and the last time. So according to her article I should be dead/stupid/sickly looking/messed up nervous system etc. This of course is false.

However the world is not so simple, I found out recently in this article by a Ayurvedic physician, Vaidya Mishra's Newsletter #16, May 25, 2012.

In this article he gives the best explanation of the different types of salt that I have seen. Yes he does sell the stuff which of course raises a red flag, but I am curious enough to check it out.

Here is one variety he sells which I have not noticed elsewhere http://www.chandika.com/products/Soma-Salt.html

When reading this, just keep going past the Ayurvedic Sanskrit words, as there is good info downstream and you don't need to understand the terms.

http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1102090353539-350/Salt+weight+gain+and+cellular+water+retention.pdf
Cheers
Al

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 01:39:23 am »
Satya naturally didn't want to give out details, she just mentioned that, a few years back,   her local WAPF chapter had promoted a grassfed meat farmer who was reported to the WAPF by several members as fraudulently  having sold partially grainfed meat as being 100% grassfed meats. When Sally Fallon heard about this, she fanatically defended the farmer and refused to allow action against him. There was some mention of kickbacks from the farmer to the WAPF, as I recall. Ask Satya at dirtycarnivore for more data.
" Ron Paul.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 02:09:35 am »
very interesting. This however wouldnt point to her analysis of salt being bad since all of the salt wapf reccomends is from companies too small to be able to offer an adequate bribe in my opinion. I would need to hear more about this however.
-----------

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 02:27:49 am »
very interesting. This however wouldnt point to her analysis of salt being bad since all of the salt wapf reccomends is from companies too small to be able to offer an adequate bribe in my opinion. I would need to hear more about this however.
  Companies do not give individual bribes. What they do is form large organisations of companies selling the same foods,  calling themselves "The Salt Council/Salt Advisory Board or whatever, and those boards of countless companies  then give bribes.
" Ron Paul.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 03:14:30 am »
Indeed. However that salt I posted earlier didnt seem to be attached to any of those types of organizations and it was recommended by wapf.
-----------

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 03:28:35 am »
this seems like a good video. Maybe hes just trying to sell his salt though. I think im gonna try it either way and see what it does.

Amazing Health Benefits of Himalayan Salt
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:34:53 am by trollofthedungeon »
-----------

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 05:22:55 am »
i would suggest using kelps and seaweeds instead, many more minerals, much less sodium

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 06:37:37 am »
whats a good brand? does it only come dry?
-----------

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 06:42:42 am »
maine coast harvest excellent seaweed...
i get the granulated and powdered kelp and the dulse flakes
their big pieces of dulse are fuckin tasty though, they are nice and soft
but yeah, ive only ever bought it dried, its generally sun dried

Offline gc

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 08:29:48 am »
Satya, a former member

OT:
Satya's a former? How did I miss that? Registration over there is disabled, too. Oh wellz...
insert signature here

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 10:04:33 am »
We used to eat dulse from the ocean off the Nova Scotia. It's a thin seaweed and is probably an acquired taste. We used to lots of it during a short period in the summer. It is quite nice to throw it briefly on a wood stove till it turns crispy. However it's too salty for me to eat now.
Cheers
Al

CitrusHigh

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 10:11:28 am »
Oh my dad's side is from NS Al, and I do love me some dulse, like a lot of folk up that way yum! But like you said, way too salty!

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 10:16:45 am »
I went to a seminar where there were people from all over Canada attending. They put some dulse in the welcome package and the people from the prairies had no idea what it was. One guy put it in his pipe and tried to smoke it. It was hilarious.
Cheers
Al

CitrusHigh

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 10:25:41 am »
Lol!!! That is too funny. I love that country, the people are sooo much fun!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk