Author Topic: grain fed controversy  (Read 4555 times)

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:38:24 am by Ioanna »
-----------

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: grain fed controversy
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 02:30:04 am »
Pure drivel. I notice the big difference in taste between 100% grassfed and partially grainfed meats.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:38:45 am by Ioanna »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:16:25 am »
This is advertising. Here is what Wikipedia explains about advertising. I put in the underlines:

Advertising is a form of communication used to encourage or persuade an audience... to take some new action. Most commonly, the desired result is to drive consumer behavior with respect to a commercial offering..... Advertising messages are usually paid for by sponsors....

With the aim of persuading, advertising can create it's own truths by making statements and allowing the audience to draw its own conclusion. For example, in the website you posted, statements were made such as

"And the beef – spectacular. It’s heavily marbled, often at the the high end of ‘prime.’" Audience conclusion: marbled is best quality.

"And what about the health impact of feeding grain to cattle? Some say that ruminants (cows and sheep) have evolved over thousands of years to only eat grass and that grains are bad for them. Its really an issue of moderation and what the goals are. In the feedlot system they ‘push’ the animals very hard, trying to get an animal to slaughter weight in 16-18 months. The feed has a very high concentration of corn which raises the ph of their stomachs and will give the animals ulcers if they are not fed antibiotics on a regular basis. In contrast, Martin at Wrighteous Organics lets the animals take their time. The feed is far less carbohydrate (corn) heavy. His animals get to slaughter weight at 24-26 months- 45% longer (and thus less profitable) than what the feedlots are doing. " Audience conclusion: Hey, these guys aren't villains like the feedlot guys - they are doing a good thing.

"Like candy for humans – in moderation our bodies can process and handle sweets just fine, but in large quantities they have a serious impact on our health." Audience conclusion: Yeah, Americans eat sugar daily, and we're happy, healthy, and marbled with fat. Daily grain supplements make cattle happy, healthy, and marbled with fat, too.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:39:05 am by Ioanna »
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 06:35:23 am »
"Like candy for humans – in moderation our bodies can process and handle sweets just fine, but in large quantities they have a serious impact on our health."

haha that was my favorite line........mmmmm...the meat must taste like candy
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:39:17 am by Ioanna »

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 03:29:07 pm »
http://dicksonsfarmstand.com/2009/01/grass-fed-vs-grain-fed-whats-the-difference/
Pure ignorance and sales palaver.

According to my body's reaction to grain-finished meat I would have to use much more drastic words.

Löwenherz

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 09:52:25 pm »
 havent had meat that ate grain in so long that i dont even remember what it tastes like.
Funny how people try to convince you that something like grain feeding cattle can be alright.
-----------

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 02:20:47 am »
It's probably going to be different for raw eaters than cooked regular eaters. Grain-fed is what people are used to and their systems are not sensitive enough to tell the difference in how it makes them feel. It's probably the taste they are used to and maybe it tastes better cooked??? Whenever I've bought grass-fed the salesperson/farmer would warn me that it's not going to be the same with a worried look on their face. I giggle to myself because I never ate regular meat and don't cook so what they say is kinda funny to me - just like that advertising is.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 03:07:03 am »
   LOL! :D (to the link in the OP)

My response would be exactly as D's.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk