Author Topic: Blending  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Blending
« on: June 03, 2012, 08:14:46 pm »
Does blending or beating destroy nutrients and digestibility the same way cooking does? For example you beat eggs and it denatures the protein so that they bind together.... What does this mean?

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Blending
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 09:06:09 pm »
Possibly. I can't say for sure whether blending or beating denatures proteins, but these processes certainly promote oxidation. Whether blending or beating, as processes, are good or bad will depend on whether the amount of oxidation outweighs other benefits that these processes deliver. That depends on what food you're talking about, and how long/much you blend or beat it.

For what it's worth, I don't beat or blend eggs, but I do blend greens and plant materials when making smoothies and juices.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 02:52:13 am »
My reason for not blending food is because it reduces digestion. I understand that the chewing and the taste of food send signals for enzymes to be released and other digestion processes (such as peristalsis) to begin. If one does blend, I've heard that advice to sip slowly to let the flavor signals say, "Here comes food!" Many non-Western healing systems use taste as a classification of the actions of foods on the body.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline littleElefant

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 04:30:04 am »
Does beating eggs denatures the protein?
I like to eat beaten egg yolks sometimes :P

Noel

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 06:43:26 am »
My reason for not blending food is because it reduces digestion. I understand that the chewing and the taste of food send signals for enzymes to be released and other digestion processes (such as peristalsis) to begin. If one does blend, I've heard that advice to sip slowly to let the flavor signals say, "Here comes food!" Many non-Western healing systems use taste as a classification of the actions of foods on the body.
I would tend to go along with that also.

Re: the eggs, some people say that beating eggs gives them upset stomach. However I have one in a milkshake and it's not a problem. Otherwise I poke two holes and such out the contents.
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk