Author Topic: Curds and whey (Ok, not EXACTLY paleo, but...)  (Read 2898 times)

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
Curds and whey (Ok, not EXACTLY paleo, but...)
« on: June 08, 2012, 12:09:52 am »
I know the picture may not look the most appetizing, but in person it actually looks great, and tasted incredible. It's definitely one of my new favorite foods.

To make:

1. Get some raw milk. Let it sit outside the fridge, preferably in a glass container, for about 3-4 days (perhaps more or less depending on temperature) until you can see a visible separation of the curds and the whey. This is more than just the cream sitting on top... you will be able to tell.

Strain this in a cheesecloth-lined strainer over a bowl. What drips into the bowl is whey, what stays in the cheesecloth is the curd. Keep straining until the curd looks decently dry.

2. Scoop the curds into a container. At this point, I will add sea salt to the curds. Keep your curds and whey in separate containers in the fridge. The whey can be used for so many things... skin + hair care, bathing, making lacto-fermented things, making a tonic, etc.

3. When it comes time to eat, pour a little whey into a bowl, then add curds, mix together. Then, I will add berries (in my picture below, I added just-picked off the bush raspberries and currants, and organic blueberries, but you can add whatever you want... or none at all!). Then I drizzle with honey, add a bunch of cinnamon, and stir all together.

Tastes better than the best yogurt, and is truly raw, IMO nutritious, and very digestible. Makes a fantastic breakfast followed by some raw eggs.

Hope someone out there enjoys!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk