Author Topic: Mushrooms anyone?  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Mushrooms anyone?
« on: November 15, 2008, 12:02:42 pm »
Just curious on you guys' take on shrooms.  I think Aajonus says it's a fruit; I know at least that it's the fruiting stage of the organism's life cycle.  I eat portabellas pretty regularly.  Anyone have problems?  Notice particular benefits?  Or even just changes? 
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline timmypatch

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Mushrooms anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 01:44:38 pm »
mushrooms are not fruit, nor are they vegetables.  In fact, mushrooms aren't even plants---they belong to the fungus kingdom.  Genetically speaking, they are more closely related to animals than fruits or vegetables. 

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 03:35:42 pm »
Which mushrooms are safe to eat raw? 
Please reply with your personal list.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 07:16:31 pm »
It's dangerous to pick wild mushrooms unless you have a mushroom  encyclopaedia to hand before eating them. Some poisonous mushrooms can kill you - for example, the deathcap mushroom doesn't show symptoms after consumption until c.2-3 days later, by which time you suddenly need a liver-/kidney transplant or you're dead - and it's easily confused with the common field mushroom which is edible and harmless.
Re mushrooms:- I did notice that, after a while on the diet, that I found mushrooms less digestible than when on cooked diets. This was undoubtedly due to the antinutrients in mushrooms - some mushrooms have fewer antinutrients in them(don't know which ones). Perhaps soaking raw mushrooms for 24 hours, beforehand, as WAPFers do with seeds/nuts, would help re removing antinutrients.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 10:41:50 pm »
I used to eat a lot of portabella mushrooms every day over the summer in salads. I stopped because, like Tyler, I didn't feel they were being digested well. I believe they contributed to gas

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 12:40:26 am »
Yes, I think most mushrooms come out partially digested, at least when raw. A lot of roughage. I watched a video about wild bears, and the mushrooms came out partially digested. They said bears ancestors are carnivores, not omnivores. So they are not fully suited for them as food. They were american brown bears. Yellow Stone grizzly I think.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 12:41:58 am by Sully »

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 03:08:12 am »
When AV says they are fruits it's not completely incorrect since the mushroom itself is the fruiting body of the fungal organism and disperses spores like fruit disperses plant seeds.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk