Author Topic: Organs in fermenting milk  (Read 7443 times)

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Organs in fermenting milk
« on: June 26, 2012, 09:21:50 pm »
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1057902/

I thought you guys would like this. Maybe we should try blending small amounts of organs into milk before fermenting it?

CitrusHigh

Re: Organs in fermenting milk
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:45:37 pm »
Sounds like a great idea to me! Can't imagine all the different flavors that could be produced by spiking different milks with various organs, probably would get some truly delicious (and nourishing!) concoctions! Please report if anyone tries this, I don't have any raw dairy right now so will have to wait!

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 11:40:10 pm »
I was wondering if I could use a bottle of those small bio-yogurts from the supermarket as a starter culture for my raw milk? As long as they are not out of date and they seem to still be alive it should work fine just pouring the bottle into the milk, and letting it sit for a day at room temperature, right?

For Example:
http://www.yakult.com.au/product01.htm
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:47:26 pm by Polyvore »

CitrusHigh

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 11:57:54 pm »
Yep, the cultures may need a little time to get used to your milk but this only take a couple batches at the most usually. But I would go for filmolk, because then you can just leave it at room temp and it will get thick like yogurt, whereas with regular yogurt as your culture you'll either have to heat the raw milk a bit first, and then keep it warm during fermentation or it won't be thick like yogurt.

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 12:09:12 am »
The pancreas also makes amylase (alpha amylase) to hydrolyse dietary starch into disaccharides and trisaccharides which are converted by other enzymes to glucose to supply the body with energy. - Wikipedia

That explains the link!

Filmjolk sounds much more delicious than the other stuff. I will order some of that soon! Is there a way to make the filmjolk less thick? I don't want yogurt exactly, I would rather a creamy thick milk.

Why do cultures get weaker each generation? And how long can you have it sit at room temperature before it is no longer usable as a starter for the next generation?

If I am going to drink about a litre a day, could I have my litre sit for a day, drink 950ml, then pour the dregs into the next milk carton, and repeat? Is that sustainable?

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 11:13:17 am »
Filmjölk - Lactococcus lactis and Leuconostoc mesenteroides

Both of these have the ability to ferment vegetables as well as milk! That is amazing... That means you could blend vegetables like spinach, chia, broccoli, berries and wild herbs, into your milk before you ferment it, and you would have a vegetable-dairy glob that would be intensely nutritious!?

I am thinking of having two big meals, one big meal of vege-organ-yogurt, and one large lot of fatty meat. Lets hope I somewhat like the taste...

Does fermenting veg with lacto strains produce alcohol, or does it ONLY produce lacid acid?

Also my room temperature in winter is about 59F which is too low, can you breed over generations, bacteria that is active at lower temperatures like this? Do generations change with seasons? For example 59F in winter will go to 95F in summer, will I have to regulate that, or will the strain adapt?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:53:35 am by Polyvore »

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 01:56:05 pm »
You could buy a heat pad to keep things going for winter - they are used to keep pets and plant seedlings warm. I want one for my sprouted seeds, plus also speeding fruit ripening.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 02:30:50 pm »
Nice one, thanx for posting! I'll try this.
I make kefir everyday. I will blend in some liver in the milk. It will be a seperate bach though not ready to risk my entire kefir culture on it .

Let you guys know how it turns out. I have in the past marinated raw muscle meat in kefir to increase its digestability that worked fine though the flavor was less than impressive.

“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 02:46:39 pm »
Filmjölk - Lactococcus lactis and Leuconostoc mesenteroides

Both of these have the ability to ferment vegetables as well as milk! That is amazing... That means you could blend vegetables like spinach, chia, broccoli, berries and wild herbs, into your milk before you ferment it, and you would have a vegetable-dairy glob that would be intensely nutritious!?

I am thinking of having two big meals, one big meal of vege-organ-yogurt, and one large lot of fatty meat. Lets hope I somewhat like the taste...

Does fermenting veg with lacto strains produce alcohol, or does it ONLY produce lacid acid?

Also my room temperature in winter is about 59F which is too low, can you breed over generations, bacteria that is active at lower temperatures like this? Do generations change with seasons? For example 59F in winter will go to 95F in summer, will I have to regulate that, or will the strain adapt?
Yes it does produce alcohol. all fermentations do. just allow it to breath(no airtight lid) and most of it wil evaporate. If you make it airtight both fermentation waste produces (CO2, alcohol) will accumulate and pressure wil build, alcohol levels rise. If there is enough food (sugars) the fermentation can keep going to ~13% alcohol. At that point the alcohol concentration becomes toxic to the bacteria. So if you find an alcoholic beverage with more than 13% at least some destillation has been used.

60F is plenty warm enough for lactofermemtation. It just goes slower. My kefir even continues in the fridge at 5 degrees C(40F) the end result is the same it just takes longer to get there. The lower the temp the less the risk of other non desired microbic activity.
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 02:51:47 pm »
Thanks, I will let it breathe. After some more reading, apparently you can add extra fat above 13% and it doesn't kill the culture, but adding sugar above 13% does kill the culture for some reason? I am thinking I could add some EVOO to the batch for more calories and the polyphenol benefits?

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 02:54:47 pm »
sorry whats evoo?

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 02:56:10 pm »
in case you're interested I used to ferment blended veggied with water kefir grains. Works very well, very quick too.

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 03:09:46 pm »
EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil
VCO = Virgin Coconut Oil, etc

I will be buying Filmjölk because it says makes a cheesy, less sour yogurt... that sounds yum.

Actually, would too much oil with fermented carbs cause digestive issues?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:14:06 pm by Polyvore »

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 08:05:58 am »
My first fermentation:

500ml Milk with Lactobacillus casei 14h at 25-30deg. C.
Mixed in a teaspoon of raw sugar and a raw egg yolk.
It tasted sweet and creamy! Yum.

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 09:50:50 am »
Ployvore
 I think you would like kefir, especially if you don't let it sit long. I would even mail you some of my grains. Try to mix with honey instead of sugar. I think it would be healthier. I'm going to have fresh lamb organs tomorrow. I might try mixing too.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 01:11:53 pm »
I am learning about different types of gut flora, and apparently different gut bacteria correlate with obesity vs weight loss. Whilst aerobic Firmicutes help with weight gain, anaerobic Bacteroidetes do the opposite, and it is important to have both in balance. Could be that 'high meat' has a similar action as Bacteroidetes rebalancing gut flora? They say that no Bacteroidetes can survive outside the human gut, but I am pretty sure no scientist would have studies similarities between human Bacteroidetes and high meat bacteria. Just a thought! There is also correlation between bacteria and diet, where Firmicutes eat carbs, especially sugar, and Bacteroidetes eat protein, especially meat.

Thanks Adora, but I live in AUS which means it would not get through customs, I will need to try get some that are already in australia.

It would be good to have a couple of different cultures to make sure I have a balanced gut, rather than too much of one thing, right?

Yakult - Lactobacillus casei - dairy - makes thick milk
Kefir -  Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacillus bulgaricus - dairy - makes thin yogurt
Filmjölk - Lactococcus lactis and Leuconostoc mesenteroides - dairy and vegetables
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:26:09 pm by Polyvore »

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 10:10:05 am »
You know more than me and I'm glad you posted it
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 11:01:33 pm »
organ kefir sounds extremely unappealing to me tastewise.
-----------

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 03:24:47 pm »
yeah troll you're right!

my experiment lasted shortly :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk