Author Topic: Raw Paleo Chickens  (Read 10608 times)

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Raw Paleo Chickens
« on: July 09, 2012, 12:31:59 pm »
I'd like to share with my friends here my learning journey regarding chickens. I started out reading every book on chickens I could find - but the real learning has been from having chickens and hanging out with old "chicken people" from my local meetup group with a great yahoo forum.

Most chickens are either fed chicken food or allowed to forage on their own. It occurred to me that neither of these usual ways was optimal. I talked in detail with the producer of the best organic soy free chicken food I could buy and was left wondering why on earth anyone feeds that! I won't go into real detail unless asked, but with all I have learned about food it fell so very short and was still relatively expensive for what it was. Besides, when I fed my old hens only that food they stopped laying.

You see, chickens actually have enough ovum to lay more eggs than they could live to lay. But every chicken book says to expect their egg production to start to fall radically after the first year. Most chickens are only kept a year or maybe two and then culled. But some of my chickens are now over 5 years old and lay better than the year old chickens and their eggs are larger. That's because they are all stretched out and can lay such big eggs. Their eggs taste the same or better than the young chickens' eggs because they have been eating better longer here with me and they are the dominant ones so demand the best pickings.

A chicken in the wild would lay only a small amount of eggs during a specific period of the year. My chickens on the other hand being bred to lay over 300 eggs a year need mega nutrition. Running around my yard isn't going to cut it when they have to pop out the perfect protein most days.

The people that really know the species told me that in the wild they estimated that chickens would probably eat at least 70% bugs and small creatures. I see that totally from watching my chickens and the kinds of food they really are designed to eat. I have never seen such carnivorous creatures ever. Because they are designed by humans to make eggs beyond anything that could ever be otherwise they go into a frenzy around meat that cannot be compared to any predator I've seen.

The feed that is usually given is ground up so that the fats are denatured over time, the fish (if fish is used) is heated at extreme temperatures and they use just a few different grains - the food is narrow. This is completely unnatural even if the chicken wasn't laying so much. What's more is they only have a 20 - 30% protein ratio! No wonder they stop laying and die early. On the other hand, in order for a laying chicken to get even the bare minimum from bugs found in an environment you would need lots of land for each chicken - I've heard estimates of at least an acre per chicken - of course depending on environment.

I buy organic seeds of all varieties and sprout them for my chickens . This comes closer to how a chicken would find a seed in nature, in the dew or on the ground starting to grow. It disables the enzyme inhibitors and brings the seed up to 20 - 30% protein and makes it into an enzyme powerhouse. But more than that I feed the chickens bugs and meat and I'm working on getting that portion of their food up to at least 70% along with their foraging. No chicken grower does this. The standard is 30% tops of protein. I just don't understand how they got that number!

You should see what happens with my chickens when I feed them Slankers pet food. It's a frenzy that you just have to see to believe. They get almost that way with bugs I give them - but still - raw meat sets them ablaze. They will eat it also as high as I make it for them. The dogs won't eat it, the cats won't eat it - but the chickens will kill for it.

I'm convinced that most chickens are starving and the eggs you buy in the store and even farms are from starving chickens. People love to say all the vegetables, fruits and cooked treats that their chickens get. My chickens won't eat any of that unless I withhold their real natural preferred food from them. They won't eat from my vegetable gardens even. They will dig to bath in the dirt, but they hold out for their natural food instead if they can. They will still dig for bugs though and try to find little snakes etc. to devour. They also will still chew on grass, because chickens really do need a certain amount of greenery in their diet - but they are so very particular about what kind and they almost always pick the wild and most succulent and fresh young greens. They don't want old stuff from the grocery store - even if it's the organic things I get that cost a fortune from Whole Foods!

I've been farming mealworms and feeding them the best organic foods I can and I've been raising black soldier fly maggots. These the chickens also go nuts for. I'm working to get my supplies high enough, but I already feed them dramatically more of these foods than anyone else I've ever talked to except old farmers who would let the chickens eat the maggots from the cow patties and give them old deceased cows to eat.

Today we finished our massive black soldier fly composter as our two small composters aren't big enough and I've found some businesses that are willing to give me their meat trimmings for composting. It's a lot more work than just feeding them the crap that everyone else feeds their chickens - but it is impossible to buy the eggs that we produce anywhere. I've yet to find anyone who thinks about feeding their chickens a species specific raw diet - I mean - they have those for dogs and we have raw paleo for us and we want only grass-fed for our beef and wild seafood - but our eggs are not thought about in these terms - not really.

My little flock might be the only real raw paleo chickens around with enough of the food they need not to be starving. I can't wait until our 6 young hens start laying because we still don't have as many eggs as we want - but I've learned so much that I've ruined buying even the best eggs from backyard growers. Knowledge can make things harder...... but I think it's worth it. I just have to be a little more patient.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Raw Paleo Chickens
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 12:52:22 pm »
Chickens in the wild 70% carnivore? That's interesting. Please tell me what the colour of the yolk is.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:41:53 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 01:54:55 pm »
Same experience here on our farm dorothy! I regularly cut up meats for our chickens or will let a clean animal's carcass collect maggots, then present it to the chickens and they loooooooooooooove it so much as you describe!

Ty, the meat doesn't seem to have a huge impact on egg color, it is more brightly colored veggies that seem to do that. Some of our eggs are near red in the yolk, others are bright yellow, but never the yucky sad pale yolks you find in most mere organic eggs.

The raw meat fed chicken's egg is a thing to behold though! Incredible muscle tone, rich rich flavor and so buttery!

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 07:37:20 pm »
Egg yolk color is totally a result of beta carotene content of the foods they eat. Our chickens' egg yolks will change in color dramatically at different times of the year with rainfall and the quality of the young grasses that are available or if I mix in carrot or  high quality raw green powdered things into their food (I make them all sorts of things in my dehydrator from my human garden and organic green foods to support them when the native grasses aren't green or rich enough). The eggs you buy in the store can sometimes be even more orange because egg producers will supplement the chicken food with chemical forms of beta carotene just to make the yolk darker because people associate the darker color with a healthier egg. Even organic farmers will do this - supplement for color. That's because usually if the yolk is darker then it is an indicator that the chickens are getting out there to forage and get insects to eat. But when our yolks are paler the eggs are still amazing compared to any other egg I've tried raw. The beta-carotene also makes the yolksacs stronger so they can have a longer shelf life - but we often eat our eggs the same day so that's not an issue like it is for someone shipping their eggs and needing the yolks to look fresh longer even if they aren't. It's not only about the color - but what the color says about their diet on a whole. If our eggs have a little less beta-carotene in them we don't taste that difference.

It's a lot like how people think that brown eggs are more nutritious but the outside color means nothing. Why that association happened is because dual-purpose birds (ones used for eggs and meat) usually have brown eggs and those are the kinds of birds that backyard and small farmers used the most instead of the leghorns that made white eggs used by egg industry. (Leghorns have no meat on their bodies, they are egg-laying machines and can tolerate a lot of stress so are the ideal chicken to torture because they can withstand it - but it must be real torture because they are also really active high energy birds). The brown eggs always tasted better to people because those chickens were foraging. My leghorn eggs though are no different than my ISA brown eggs are going to be inside because they will get the same diet.

Toth - I'd love to have a full carcass out there for the chickens like you do - but I'm in suburbia! So for my meat feeding and maggot production I have to be a bit more innovative. ;)  Raw paleo chicken eggs truly are of a different order aren't they?

I should add that I also make sure to give my laying hens their egg shells ground up back to them available in a bowl as well as ground oyster shells and when they are all laying I will go back to adding on their sprouts or in their meat the same powdered seaweed that I eat because besides protein the mineral requirements of producing eggs every day has got to be outrageous. I had to stop doing that for a while because if the pullets (female chickens before they start to lay) get too much mineral/calcium it could do them harm. Because of missing the supplements my laying hens aren't doing quite as well at the moment so yet another reason I can't wait until the pullets start laying. Nothing makes a chicken produce more than raw grass-fed whey though. That's kind of a miracle food for chickens. It's one of the downsides to us giving up dairy not having that for our chickens any more. When our chickens' get all their mineral supplementation their eggshells are almost as tough as regular duck egg shells. Sometimes they are almost hard to break open. That means that the insides of the eggs also have a high mineral content for us to eat. If there are more than enough minerals in the diet beyond what is necessary for shell-making and bare survival they have minerals to spare for putting into the food for their young in the yolk. A bet a starving chicken's yolk is mineral deficient.

The omega 3 vs 6 content of our eggs has also got to be dramatically different than any other eggs. I can eat our eggs every day and feel great. Not so with even the best eggs I can get elsewhere - even eggs from other backyard producers that allow their chickens to forage all day and feed them their table scraps.

Raw paleo chickens get raw paleo table scraps! They eat any raw dog food my dogs pass up, they get the meat that has gotten too high for our liking and they get only raw special treats!  You should see the chickens with seafood - that is some manic intensity there. In summer they get little bits of fruit to cool them down too. They will eat watermelon when it's super hot outside - but not when it's cool enough. They are smart enough and fed well enough to refuse any food that is not ideal for them. My chickens are very picky eaters because I respect that they know what they need so they aren't starving and that is the way I've learned what a paleo chicken needs. They are a really quite instincto! They know instantly if something is good for them or not with no one having to teach them.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:43:33 pm by Dorothy »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 08:49:47 pm »

Interesting, I had no idea that orange eggs were not necessarily better. Though I will state that  the "woodland" eggs with orange yolks  I once bought from a  supermarket in the UK  did indeed taste way better than standard eggs, but, obviously, the colour of the yolk was irelevant(and no doubt due to extra beta-carotene added), it was just the extra nutrients the chickens fed on while within woodland that made all the difference.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 08:54:14 pm »
If they were in the woodlands then then they probably got a large variety of nutritious wild foods including lots of good native greens for beta carotene and wild bugs/critters that ate lots of greens. They might not have had anything added in such an environment. I bet they were delicious.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 09:43:50 pm »
thanks for all of this info dorothy!  you should take photos of the variations in your eggs and yolks

the mallard duck eggs ive had have had incredibly orange yolks, ducks diet is a bit different as they eat all kinds of algae but they get a lot of protein and you can tell by the density of the yolk

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 10:56:36 pm »
I am bad about taking pictures Jessica but I really should take some now when there has been no rains and all the grass is dried up and because of the pullets I'm not able to feed my regular beta carotene rich natural raw supplementation so I can show the difference with them lighter color now. I'll ask Brian to do that - he's better at it than me. It would be good to demonstrate the difference.

Ducks can't be mega-farmed like chickens with no exposure to sky, water or a totally inferior food supply and survive. For that reason I believe that even their feeds are superior. Chicken feed is designed to keep chickens alive and producing only a few years max. If you fed a duck that way it wouldn't live long enough to produce eggs. They say that ducks lay eggs longer - but I'm sure that is only because they get better food with a higher protein content. I got ostrich eggs and duck eggs for awhile which are both supposed to be much richer than chicken eggs. The ostrich eggs are supposed to be the most rich and yet they weren't nearly as good as my chickens' eggs - likely only because of diet. The duck eggs were only richer at certain times of the year. Interestingly I did a bunch of taste testing with a duck egg farmer that I bought from. Her moscovy eggs were always way inferior to her mallard/indianrunner eggs. We figured it out together that it was because the moscovy ducks are so fat and lazy that they won't forage for food like the others so they eat almost entirely the feed she supplies. If ducks and chickens are both fed their own versions of raw paleo diets then I'm sure that duck eggs would always have a higher fat content and be richer and thicker and the shells will be stronger than chicken eggs. Duck eggs have to withstand water so they have this dense waterproof layer on the outside that is almost elastic in nature. It's true that algae and the small critters that eat the algae that ducks eat must be part of the equation. It has made me decide to start farming green and red algaes for my chickens. It's on my very long "to do list" - but I'll get to it as one of the things I want to do is raise some fish for the chickens and to do that I need to raise some little shrimp-like creatures and to that I need to raise algae. It will be interesting to see if the chickens will eat the algae itself. I know they will eat small live fish as I tried some from the pet store. I bet in a pond ducks get lots of small living aquatic creatures including fish - as long as they aren't muscovies. ;) But a big difference between ducks and chickens is the eating apparatus. A chicken's beak is an amazing weapon. They have no feeling in them - they are like nails in that they are dead cells without feeling - just  harder. Chickens will hunt with their beaks and destroy things in ways that is amazing to watch. I feed my chickens live scorpions when I find them. They can disable them quickly and easily without blinking or flinching. They also hunt snakes. Ducks on the other hand feel with their beaks and need water to eat. I one day want to get some ducks to learn about them too - but I'm still busy working on the chicken project!

Oh and course my chickens get filtered water - not water from a hose. I'd be worried about my not having good water for ducks. I add colloidal silver to the chickens' water now, but probably will soon be changing to a little bit of food grade hydrogen peroxide to try that as I've decided that our water is not paleo water without some h202 in it.

Another thing is that almost all farmers use plastic when feeding and watering their chickens. Can't get away from that unless you raise your own. Here in Texas in this heat it makes me shudder to think of eating eggs from chickens drinking from plastic sitting in triple digit heat. But it's all relative and you just have to get the best that you can, but it's good to know what to look for.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 12:23:25 am »
Yeah I recently thought about harvesting some duckweed for my chickens because it grows abundantly and is a nutritional protein powerhouse, but then I got to thinking how unnatural it would be for jungle fowl to be eating aquatic plants so I thought better of it. Then I got in to a long thought process about whether or not  that would be advisable for any animal, especially given my recent epigentics studies. We don't give grains to cows, why give aquatic plants to chickens? Not sure how I will end up, but I'll probably do it just to see what effect it has on the chickens.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 12:53:11 am »
The good thing about chickens is that they will tell you instantly if it is appropriate. Again, chickens are bred to create eggs in number that are already unnatural. If the duckweed has something in it that the chickens need they will gobble it up and it's a whole lot better than things usually fed to chickens to provide protein and I wouldn't worry if it means it came from water. I got a trough for ducks I was going to get and the chickens were in there eating stuff growing. Chickens near water would be able to access the edge of the water and get foods there. It's a natural thing so as long as your chickens have other choices and aren't starving - I'd trust them to tell  you if duckweed is good for them or not. I've tried to feed my chickens yam leaves which are supposed to be great for them - but nothing doing - not interested. When chickens need/like something - they make it perfectly clear if you have two eyes in your head. :)

Maybe a good idea would to make a little tub with some duck weed growing in it. Chickens like tearing at leaves so the plant being anchored to the ground is more appealing.

Offline Tsurugi_Oni

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 07:44:03 am »
Finally got the BSF composter up eh??  Bout time, that venture is so exciting for me.

If my mom moves in with her new boyfriend me and my brother may actually take over our house.  If the zoning laws are right you know what that means......... ;-)

I saw a dead deer on the way to work yesterday and thought of you........only because of the BSF.  Was only about 2 days old, what a waste to not refurbish the nutrients into premium eggs.

If you really think about it the vast majority of birds are probably high fat and protein eaters.  Beef tallow + seeds is the gold standard for general bird feeders.  We all know how birds love to flock over fresh virgin plowed fields. 

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 08:09:13 am »
Finally got the BSF composter up eh??  Bout time, that venture is so exciting for me.

If my mom moves in with her new boyfriend me and my brother may actually take over our house.  If the zoning laws are right you know what that means......... ;-)

I saw a dead deer on the way to work yesterday and thought of you........only because of the BSF.  Was only about 2 days old, what a waste to not refurbish the nutrients into premium eggs.

If you really think about it the vast majority of birds are probably high fat and protein eaters.  Beef tallow + seeds is the gold standard for general bird feeders.  We all know how birds love to flock over fresh virgin plowed fields. 

Tsurugi Oni my old good friend! It feels like forever since I've seen you here. You had to remind me how many years I've been talking about getting black soldier flies going huh? ;D But then Brian found this post for the easiest and cheapest and most effective black soldier fly composter ever!
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bsf-larvae-operation-under-5
One of my two composter with this design we made with an old kitty liter container we got for nothing.
Bad thunder - will have to continue later........

Offline bachcole

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 08:46:11 am »
Dorothy, I read both of your monster articles.  I have been thinking about owning a hen or two.  Thank you so much for that chicken information.  It says something about the insult of calling someone a chicken.

Tell me, oh, chicken sage, will dogs try to kill chickens.  I have an excitable puppyzilla girlie and a fat, lazy old lady doggie.  Does this make raising chicks for more than a couple of hours impossible?

Roger
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:03:29 am by bachcole »
"There is only One Being in Reality and it is the Universal Soul."  -- Meher Baba --

Offline Tsurugi_Oni

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 09:25:56 am »
It is crazy that it's been literal years.  I've missed the 1 person who helps me reflect on all things important to my life.

Economical BSF composter designs, sweet find.

Have you worked out any more sources that'll give you a large amount of BSF substrate?  It would sure be nice if you could utilize that artifact en masse to produce some quality product.

As a godless carnivore I'm pondering all sorts of schemes...........

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 03:10:32 am »
Dorothy, I read both of your monster articles.  I have been thinking about owning a hen or two.  Thank you so much for that chicken information.  It says something about the insult of calling someone a chicken.

Tell me, oh, chicken sage, will dogs try to kill chickens.  I have an excitable puppyzilla girlie and a fat, lazy old lady doggie.  Does this make raising chicks for more than a couple of hours impossible?

Roger

Hello Bach! Ah dogs - my previous obsession before chickens! I'm a dog whisperer at this point so I have a unique perspective on having dogs with chickens. If you are the alpha over your pups and know how to communicate effectively with them, no matter what breed or how aggressive the dog might be, you can use doggie psychology to keep the dog from bothering your chickens. What breed are your two doggies? It can make a difference how hard it will be.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 05:08:11 am »
It is crazy that it's been literal years.  I've missed the 1 person who helps me reflect on all things important to my life.

Economical BSF composter designs, sweet find.

Have you worked out any more sources that'll give you a large amount of BSF substrate?  It would sure be nice if you could utilize that artifact en masse to produce some quality product.

As a godless carnivore I'm pondering all sorts of schemes...........

I have a store with a big meat department and a good restaurant both from which this Thursday I am supposed to pick up their meat trimmings! Seems like these places have to trim off all the best parts of the meat for the modern consumer - and my bsflies might be able to get the benefit - that is - if I can actually get the providers to actually provide it! I've tried a couple of times, but I've just got to be persistent to get these folks into a pattern and new habit. I probably could produce enough black soldier flies over time to sell them - like I could sell mealworms - but not sure I'm up for that kind of creepy crawly business. It would be a good one though. People would buy them to feed their pets and their chickens I'm sure - and maybe one day eventually they will buy them to feed themselves. I wonder if I could come up with some dehydrator bug treat if I could change the world. lol.

When it comes to bird species there is such a vast array of diets, but I'd have to agree that they eat more insects vs seeds than people imagine. It's very true that the real bird fanciers buy mealworms and suet for even the wild birds in the winter to attract the most and some birds will only be attracted to mealworms so there are fancy mealworm bird feeders even.

So, your Mom has a boyfriend?! That must make your life so much better. Happy, busy Mom - yay! If you get the house no more throwing away grass clippings eh? I can just imagine the parties. ;)

Offline jinna86

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 08:43:08 am »
I've wanted backyard chickens for a long time, and reading your account just makes me want them more!  It's too bad it's illegal to keep them in backyards where I live.  I feel like I'm really missing out, not being able to try fresh chicken eggs.  But on the other hand, if I ever get one, at least I will know the appropriate things to feed it :)

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 01:12:23 am »
I've wanted backyard chickens for a long time, and reading your account just makes me want them more!  It's too bad it's illegal to keep them in backyards where I live.  I feel like I'm really missing out, not being able to try fresh chicken eggs.  But on the other hand, if I ever get one, at least I will know the appropriate things to feed it :)

It's illegal? Really? Do they let you have dogs and cats? Dogs and cats pollute the land with their excrement whereas chickens enhance the soil and chickens make much less noise.

Some people raise chickens as pets and keep them indoors. You could then put them in little harnesses and take them for walks - or just carry them about for them to see the outside and get some sun. Chickens raised by the big farms never get to see daylight or scratch so your chickens would still be better than that. It would be pretty wild, but I know people in my chicken group that have their chickens sitting on the couch with them watching tv at night. You could make a sand-box like thing for them to scratch in and grow greens and throw bugs in it for them so they get their natural digging sensations. If you fed your indoor chickens a paleo diet the eggs would still be massively superior to anything you could buy in the store even when they say "free roaming" on the box. Remember, free roaming might mean a tiny piece of land for thousands of chickens that has not one blade of grass or insect left to be gotten from it.

A lot of people here that live in communities that don't allow for chickens due to home owners associations get chickens anyway because the worse that will happen is that they will have to get rid of them if someone complains. They make sure to give their closest neighbors eggs and other things from their gardens and keep a really good relationship with them - and of course - don't get a rooster. Certain breeds are quieter than others too.

If you get chickens you need to get three. Chickens are highly social animals. If you have one they will be very lonely and freaked out with most of their natural behaviors being thrown off and if you have two and one dies the other can die of grief quickly. Three is the magical number, but there are also miniature chickens called bantams so 3 of those would take as much room and food as one big chicken.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Paleo Chickens ... and their eggs
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 02:57:05 am »
I'm bumping this old post of mine with the discussions of eggs lately.

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 07:03:21 pm »
This is awesome, thanks so much for sharing. I have often thought about the way I would raise and diet chickens if I were to keep them. At the moment I do not have the land for it, but it is something I would love to do (keep chickens and other animals) in the future.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 07:42:56 am »
You're welcome Isthmus!

One of the things that I love about chickens is how very little amount of land they need. The tiniest backyard will feel like a big farm to a small group of hens - as long as they are given the food they need. For a chicken to forage for everything they need more land, but if they are fed by you - chickens can be very happy in very small quarters indeed. Industry puts them in horrific conditions - something like less than one square foot per chicken, but any backyard will be enjoyed nicely by chickens - unlike most other kinds of farm animals. I too one day would like to have the land to have different kinds of animals.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk