Author Topic: Fresh fish storage  (Read 4770 times)

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Fresh fish storage
« on: July 21, 2012, 11:25:26 pm »
This topic is for the discussion of how to store fresh fish. With hanging beef in mind, I have a few hangers of fish in my refrigerator: halves of mackerel and fillets of yellowtail. The fish are slightly dry on the outside. When I touch them, I get a good feel of fish oil on the surface. I've eaten slices and not gotten sick, but the old fresh-fish rules (eat it right away) have me spooked. After all, I want to be a good example of raw paleo, not a dead example. I've searched the internet for more information, but I'm always running into instructions like "salt the fish" and "soak before cooking."

Please offer your experience and knowledge in this area.

"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh fish storage
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 12:13:58 am »
Iv found fish thats a bit old starts to taste pretty bad in my opinion. I have eaten fish like that with no problem though. Like yesterday I had some fish that smelled pretty bad cuz I was hungry and nothing else was around. I ate about half and threw out the rest. The half I ate gave me no negative effects.
-----------

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 02:25:30 am »
ive let my fish (salmon) air out for a week, it gets really dry and chewy and smells fishy, but not bad...just fishy, any longer and it would just be fish jerky in my opinion, i live in a pretty arid place though, so the air in the fridge is very low humidity

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 02:29:23 am »
yeah the smell can be described as being really fishy. I dont mind a bit of fishy taste but this was too much for me.
-----------

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 04:29:18 am »
Remember that fish oil oxidizes much quicker than other fats such as saturated fat from beef. old fish could be a much more 'damaged' product after aging.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 06:07:57 am »
Remember that fish oil oxidizes much quicker than other fats such as saturated fat from beef. old fish could be a much more 'damaged' product after aging.

So, what fish do you preserve, and how do you do it? The only thing that comes close to what I think I want is stockfish, but I've never eaten this type of dried (but not dehydrated) fish, so I don't know what to expect.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 06:10:46 am »
ive let my fish (salmon) air out for a week, it gets really dry and chewy and smells fishy, but not bad...just fishy, any longer and it would just be fish jerky in my opinion, i live in a pretty arid place though, so the air in the fridge is very low humidity

Thanks, Jessica. I think it was a post from you elsewhere on this forum that got me thinking about letting my fish hang in the fridge.

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 11:55:59 am »
Hi eveheart, when you mean soaking. Do you mean soaking in a saltwater solution in a way of preserving it, or preparing it (before you eat it)?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 12:17:08 pm »
Do you mean soaking in a saltwater solution in a way of preserving it, or preparing it (before you eat it)?

I used "soaking" because some online instructions for preserving fish say so, but these are not raw instructions, so this is not what I want to do.

There are online pages about Norwegian and Korean fermented fish dishes, but no clear instructions. I think what I want will resemble Norwegian stockfish, which is described as unsalted, air-dried but not dehydrated, then further fermented, and chewy enough to eat as a snack.

I want to know what any RPDers on this forum do to keep fish for more than a few days, especially if some fermentation is involved, although I'm not looking for fish that stinks to high heaven.

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 04:23:22 pm »
I have a suggestion. Why not filet the fish into bit size pieces, and the put them in a brine solution. That way the fish remains uncooked, is preserved, and the oils won't go/turn rancid. You could also substitute/replace salt with raw apple cider vinegar too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk