Author Topic: Bison/ELK/?  (Read 6994 times)

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
Bison/ELK/?
« on: July 23, 2012, 06:31:39 pm »
Hey guys,

Probably found a clean local source for bison, and elk.  These generally good?  I'm trying to find some mainstays over the winter as i know i will be indulging in more animal foods but i don't want to get stuck in a rut with only a few foods.

-Joe

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Bison/ELK/?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 08:35:41 pm »
They are wonderful, if  they are not grainfed.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:38:52 pm »
absolutely delicious, but remember they generally lean so make sure you are getting enough fats
make sure they arent grain finished and you are golden

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 10:18:42 pm »
Nice, yea they are grassfed.  They do tours of their animals.  I haven't seen anything about it but I plan on asking them about stuff like bone-marrow, organs, etc that most people wouldn't go for.

By the way; What are good ways to stay warm in the winter on a raw diet?  The best i got is to eat more animal products/fats at room temperature or slightly heated.  And plenty of sea salt.  I have adrenal issues so this is a big thing for me.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:25:22 pm by joej627 »

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:11:22 am »
Hey guys,

Probably found a clean local source for bison, and elk. 
-Joe

Lucky bastard. I wish I could find these local in my area! Are they fresh frozen in packets, or fresh never frozen? I agree with jessica, these are leaner meats so add additional fat to your tastes.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 01:39:19 am »
Joe, Bison farmers can be crafty, buffalo need some grass, so they will get pasture/hay but they will pull grain bins out in to the pasture so make sure they explicitly say the words "100% grassfed",  just 'grassfed' can technically mean they've only seen pasture once in their life, though would typically mean they at least get grass on a regular basis, though that woulnd't guarantee no grains. I'm plugged in to the local bison scene here in ND/MN/WI and it is common practice. So take them up on that tour and ask about all inputs, drugs, vitamin supplements, hormones, feed, water, minerals, etc. It's fucked up that we have to be that specific with our questioning but such is the state of things presently.

Good luck and ditto to what Jessica said.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 02:01:02 am »
teas and broths help keep me warm in the winter.  i usually work outside too so having a hot beverage is pretty necessary.  ginger tea really seems to help.  also dont be a stickler for raw in the winter, if roasting stuff sounds good, do it, if cooking down a pot of bones and herbs sounds good, do it.....keep warm and feeling healthy above all else.  enjoy that elk and bison though!

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 02:12:43 am »
Yea i agree that it is a shame we all need to be so careful.  Eventually, i Hope that they will have stricter regulations protecting consumers.  It should be the other way around.  Well meaning customers should not have to walk through hoops to find healthy products.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 06:49:09 am »
No need to eat cooked in the winter as RPDers do slowly develop an increased tolerance towards cold over time, due to developing better circulation etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 07:39:24 am »
Yea I think it was more leaving the meat become room temperature.  What you guys think are some of the best cuts as far as value?  Looks like they have all the steaks and cuts but its pretty pricey.  Wholesale (over 20 pounds) gets me a big discount.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 09:38:12 am »
Yea I think it was more leaving the meat become room temperature.  What you guys think are some of the best cuts as far as value?  Looks like they have all the steaks and cuts but its pretty pricey.  Wholesale (over 20 pounds) gets me a big discount.
ALWAYS, always buy only the cheapest cuts. Indeed, the cheapest cuts are generally the fattiest, which is ideal.
" Ron Paul.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 11:14:11 am »
Joe, in the winter, though it is totally true that we tend to handle extreme temps better, and constantly beng cold has been something that I've had to recover from, it is still nice to have warm foods in winter. So a good way to do that is to get used to using a double boiler, this makes it easier to warm your food to a nice temp, like 90-105F without damaging it. Just make sure your meat doesn't start to turn color, might take a little practice but eventually, like anything, you'll get the hang of it. Just don't warm your water any more than you want your meat to be at. You may have to take it off the burner a couple times to keep it from overdoing it, but experiment and you'll get it.

Also a decent way to warm meat is to do the same thing, only with a frying pan, again, don't warm the pan much above body temp, then there's no risk of burning your food. A good rule of thumb is, as soon as it's too hot for your hand to touch the pan, you've gone too far. Also again, you may need to remove from the burner a couple times, or shut it off and turn it on as needed if you're using gas.

The way I personally do it is to leave my meat out long enough to come up to room temp, usually at least 3 hours from fridge temp, or overnight if its for breakfast, not an issue since microbes aren't the concern, then use with the above listed methods, the combination approach means that you have gently warmed meat in just a few moments when you are ready to eat.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 11:37:43 am »
I find that my appetite for raw animal fat increases in the winter, and fat from a late summer butchering is very tasty. My butcher saves the beef  back fat for me when he cuts up an animal and sells it to me for 1.99 USD/pound. Salt is necessary if you eat very low carbs because the kidneys excrete more sodium. I use commercial salt, but blood has sodium (if you can get blood).
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 05:45:41 am »
ALWAYS, always buy only the cheapest cuts. Indeed, the cheapest cuts are generally the fattiest, which is ideal.

Tyler, which cuts do you usually prefer?

Löwenherz

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 02:46:25 am »
Tyler, which cuts do you usually prefer?

Löwenherz

Minced and stewing steak, obviously.
" Ron Paul.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 04:00:09 am »
I will try to get these types of cuts.  I know fat intake will increase in the winter as well as animal protein probably.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk