Author Topic: New with many questions  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Tin_Man

• Forager
    • View Profile
New with many questions
« on: July 23, 2012, 11:58:36 pm »
Haven't started yet but wanted to provide a brief intro as I look through the older posts.

Have been considering this for a while and since I just put a cow in the freezer figured now would be a great time. Getting ready to try and make tallow for the first time and looking for easy instructions.

Over the years I have done brief monoculture stints and lots of other variations but was difficult to stick to mainly do to availablity. With three small kids it's difficult to find things they will easily eat regularly. Sugar is the main issue to do away with as it is in everything. Many times it is the convenience factor that determines what we eat, rarely good. So, looking for good tips for a beginner transitioning. Mainly the most popular easy foods that are the main staple for many. We have access to plenty of various meats, eggs and dairy. I know dairy is not favorable but we have raised our own goats for milk for the past 8 years and have done great with it. Using kefir grains for great drinkable yogurt and soft cheeses. However I am the only one that will drink the kefir in the house.

Produce recommendations would be great.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: New with many questions
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 12:06:15 am »
Just don't make/render tallow, just eat raw suet instead.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Tin_Man

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 12:22:08 am »
Thanks for your post.

After finding an advice for newbies post it provided some answers.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:50:57 am by TylerDurden »

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 05:12:47 am »
Do you mean produce for kids?
     Fruit, salad various dressings and marinades. We are enjoying beet salad with ACV olive oil, onion, and herbs.
     We've been doing the same with wax beans. We've made a garlicky tomato kefir dip from the soft cheese for peppers and carrots. Home made mayo is super with tomatoes onions sandwiched in portabella's with ground beef in the "burger" or sliced beef on the side.
      I like fresh beef Unaltered, but thawed meat I pat dry and marinate. We've been eating lots of veggies and berries, b/c they are plentiful and I'm eating more saucy stuff with my newbe daughter. So, I felt like sharing, but the best is in the section for newbies
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 08:33:33 am »
Think easy digestible stuff, especially for kids.  Juicy, creamy, etc.  So fruits, avocados, olives, and for animals; marrow, fatty cuts, eggs, crock-pot meals, etc.  If you are going for convenience crock-pot is the way to go.  We have a 7 quart one here.  I can fit a whole chicken and mass amounts of veggies in.  Some people may not find this favorable but it provides mass quantities of very slow-cooked meat/veggies.  Cooking method really matters for health.  Most people don't understand this enough.  Freeze whatever leftovers, but usually there are none here =)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk