Author Topic: Should I stop eating raw while traveling?  (Read 5175 times)

Offline Beyonder

• Forager
    • View Profile
Should I stop eating raw while traveling?
« on: August 01, 2012, 06:41:16 pm »
Hey everyone,

Been eating raw for almost two years now and I really enjoy it. There have been moments during travel where I've eaten cooked and it was no big deal -- though I definitely feel better with raw meats. I've recently taken on a new job that will involve long stretches of travel from town to town (without returning home) to the point where eating raw consistently will be hugely difficult if not borderline impossible. I've considered the following:

1) Pemmican -- I know many people seem to do well with this but I'm not sold on eating a dry, water-deficient food for long periods.

2) Trying to source meats in each successive town I go to. Based on past travel experiences, this will often be impossible due to timing and transportation concerns. I can't guarantee my hotel's proximity to an organic food supplier or even a refrigerator to hold my meats. And I definitely can't afford to eat large quantities of sashimi.

3) I've thought about bringing on a good supply of supplements. Edible clay, Dr. Ron's organ supplements, Cod Liver Oil, etc. This seems like a decent compromise.

I really believe in the job I've taken on but I also value my diet. In the end, this job should only last about 2 years. After which I can resume my raw diet full-time.

So, I'm asking the advice of this community -- what would you do in this situation? Ultimately, it must be my decision, but it is nice to hear other opinions.

This is a more important question: would you recommend I transition back to cooked food or eat raw up until the moment I leave?

Just in case: Do you have any other ideas on staying raw that I may have overlooked?

Thank you all. Even though I don't post much, I have learned so much from this forum. Truly a giving, knowledgeable group of people.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
Re: Should I stop eating raw while traveling?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:56:28 pm »
Wow, big decision.  Very cool, seems like you are looking from all angles.

Most hotels will supply mini-fridges if you request them.  How do you do with plant fats?  These would seem to be a lot more accessible on the road.  I have been looking into road-tripping lately so I have been thinking about all this too.  Things like avocados, raw eggs, raw nut butter, cold-pressed coconut/olive oil, sardine tins, all have pretty decent shelf-life.  I mean ultimately you really need the fridge.  Also consider bringing along a juicer or a
"nutribullet" with you on your trips.  I mean, is it like you go away then come home and repeat?  Or away for extended periods?

I think if it's for extended periods it would be worth taking a day or 2 and finding all the good quality organic grocery stores/farmers in your area.  Most of these have web-sites or contact info.  Check eatwild.com  These have a good listing for local farmers.  I think it can be done, it just is all about prior preparation. 

Offline Beyonder

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 07:23:20 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

Wow, big decision.  Very cool, seems like you are looking from all angles.

Most hotels will supply mini-fridges if you request them.  How do you do with plant fats?  These would seem to be a lot more accessible on the road.  I have been looking into road-tripping lately so I have been thinking about all this too.  Things like avocados, raw eggs, raw nut butter, cold-pressed coconut/olive oil, sardine tins, all have pretty decent shelf-life.  I mean ultimately you really need the fridge.  Also consider bringing along a juicer or a
"nutribullet" with you on your trips.

I don't do great with plant foods. Even before turning raw I've always been primarily carnivorous without thinking about it.

I mean, is it like you go away then come home and repeat?  Or away for extended periods?

I won't be back home for months at a time. Essentially, I'll be in a new town every week on average. A really busy schedule, staying in a hotel with no car of my own and no real way to source quality organic foods. I could be in some random town with no organic meat for miles.

I think if it's for extended periods it would be worth taking a day or 2 and finding all the good quality organic grocery stores/farmers in your area.  Most of these have web-sites or contact info.  Check eatwild.com  These have a good listing for local farmers.  I think it can be done, it just is all about prior preparation. 

There definitely might be a way, I just haven't quite figured it out yet. At a certain point, I don't know if I want to add this extra stressor to a busy schedule.

I like the idea of adapting to avocados, and maybe looking into some nut butters. Good thoughts here.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 09:29:28 pm »
I did OK eating cooked food while traveling for 2 weeks.  but most of the cooked food was home made somewhat paleoish.

for hotels I would make lots of beef/lamb jerky and either buy butter locally or bring beef fat wrapped in paper.  jerky lasts forever and fat does OK in paper, never in plastic.

also,  I would find out local family based restaurants.  avoid fast food at all cost.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 09:31:53 pm »
    While traveling for work, do you eat in restaurants or get food delivered room service from the hotel cafeterias?   There might not be much raw available, but if you talk directly with the hotel M.O.D. and restaurant chef, and tell them you know and accept the risks, they may give you raw eggs, fish and meat.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

CitrusHigh

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 09:43:52 pm »
If you are really dedicated to sticking with the diet I recommend lacto fermented meats. My friend does an awesome salmon ferment using grassfed raw whey (if you can tolerate it), it's the mildest, most delicious salmon ferment I've ever had. You could do this with any meat, he includes spices and onions and garlic I think, I can get the recipe if you want, but if- Oh nevermind, just found it here...

http://www.sustainableeats.com/2010/04/01/lacto-fermented-fish/

I would wager you could use this same method on meat, just swapping out the fish for your choice of meats, will lyk as soon as our cow is milking again, unless you get to it first. There is nothing gross about this, quite the opposite, it's a delicacy! Of course, I've never seen it done with meats, so you're on your own if you attempt it. Also to slow down the ferment, instead of leaving it at room temp from the get-go, you can put it in the fridge right away and it will not ferment so quickly, extending the life of it.

Obviously while traveling you'll have to keep those good and sealed tight and be careful not to shatter the jars, but that shouldn't be a problem since your clothing will be a natural cushioning. Might want a second plastic bag as a safety. You could pack these jars almost tight to maximize capacity/storage space and can you imagine having enzyme enhanced, nutrient dense superfoods with you instead of having to settle for dried, cooked, cafo, denatured garbage? As long as you're not flying, that is not even a challenge!

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 09:53:30 pm »
    Yum, Thoth!  I have some fermented herring here. It's time to eat, and I know what I'm taking out of the fridge now.

Kimchee keeps pretty well.  Can you experiment with vegetables too?  Maybe grind and dehydrate kimchee at low temps.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 03:47:33 am »
This job sounds sketchy.  What job would make you travel all the time, but not pay enough for you to afford decent food, i.e., some sashimi on a regular basis?

Offline Beyonder

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 06:47:49 am »
Wow, some really great replies and ideas here. Thank you all so much.

I did OK eating cooked food while traveling for 2 weeks.  but most of the cooked food was home made somewhat paleoish.

for hotels I would make lots of beef/lamb jerky and either buy butter locally or bring beef fat wrapped in paper.  jerky lasts forever and fat does OK in paper, never in plastic.

also,  I would find out local family based restaurants.  avoid fast food at all cost.

I like the fat in paper idea -- never occurred to me! Good call.

While traveling for work, do you eat in restaurants or get food delivered room service from the hotel cafeterias?   There might not be much raw available, but if you talk directly with the hotel M.O.D. and restaurant chef, and tell them you know and accept the risks, they may give you raw eggs, fish and meat.

That is a good idea also. I figure eggs and fish might be a workable compromise and if the hotel has a good restaurant they will hopefully have high quality ingredients.
If you are really dedicated to sticking with the diet I recommend lacto fermented meats. My friend does an awesome salmon ferment using grassfed raw whey (if you can tolerate it), it's the mildest, most delicious salmon ferment I've ever had. You could do this with any meat, he includes spices and onions and garlic I think, I can get the recipe if you want, but if- Oh nevermind, just found it here...

http://www.sustainableeats.com/2010/04/01/lacto-fermented-fish/

I would wager you could use this same method on meat, just swapping out the fish for your choice of meats, will lyk as soon as our cow is milking again, unless you get to it first. There is nothing gross about this, quite the opposite, it's a delicacy! Of course, I've never seen it done with meats, so you're on your own if you attempt it. Also to slow down the ferment, instead of leaving it at room temp from the get-go, you can put it in the fridge right away and it will not ferment so quickly, extending the life of it.

Obviously while traveling you'll have to keep those good and sealed tight and be careful not to shatter the jars, but that shouldn't be a problem since your clothing will be a natural cushioning. Might want a second plastic bag as a safety. You could pack these jars almost tight to maximize capacity/storage space and can you imagine having enzyme enhanced, nutrient dense superfoods with you instead of having to settle for dried, cooked, cafo, denatured garbage? As long as you're not flying, that is not even a challenge!

Wow, this is a really unique idea. Never heard of anything like it, but I'm always game for an experiment. I guess lacto-fermented meat would be akin to traditional sausages and salami.

This job sounds sketchy.  What job would make you travel all the time, but not pay enough for you to afford decent food, i.e., some sashimi on a regular basis?

This is what I love about you guys -- looking out for fellow boardmates! I appreciate the concern but I promise the job is not sketchy and its for a very nice cause. But oftentimes jobs for a good cause are not the most lucrative.  For me, I'd trade a few bucks for peace of mind. It is only a temporary thing and something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Thankfully, I don't have to start this job until next year so I've got plenty of time. But knowing that it is only a temporary job, I might be more open to breaking my diet.

Thank you all for your great suggestions!

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 03:46:06 am »
Hey everyone,

Been eating raw for almost two years now and I really enjoy it. There have been moments during travel where I've eaten cooked and it was no big deal -- though I definitely feel better with raw meats. I've recently taken on a new job that will involve long stretches of travel from town to town (without returning home) to the point where eating raw consistently will be hugely difficult if not borderline impossible. I've considered the following:

1) Pemmican -- I know many people seem to do well with this but I'm not sold on eating a dry, water-deficient food for long periods.

2) Trying to source meats in each successive town I go to. Based on past travel experiences, this will often be impossible due to timing and transportation concerns. I can't guarantee my hotel's proximity to an organic food supplier or even a refrigerator to hold my meats. And I definitely can't afford to eat large quantities of sashimi.

3) I've thought about bringing on a good supply of supplements. Edible clay, Dr. Ron's organ supplements, Cod Liver Oil, etc. This seems like a decent compromise.

I really believe in the job I've taken on but I also value my diet. In the end, this job should only last about 2 years. After which I can resume my raw diet full-time.

So, I'm asking the advice of this community -- what would you do in this situation? Ultimately, it must be my decision, but it is nice to hear other opinions.

This is a more important question: would you recommend I transition back to cooked food or eat raw up until the moment I leave?

Just in case: Do you have any other ideas on staying raw that I may have overlooked?

Thank you all. Even though I don't post much, I have learned so much from this forum. Truly a giving, knowledgeable group of people.
If you choose, you can eat raw anywhere! Do a little research ahead of time, on the local markets, health stores, butchers, and seafood outlets. You should find something. You have to think outside the box! I don't compromise my diet at all, especially if I'm traveling. You can make it work if you really want too. Don't make excuses for yourself.

But, look around this forum. There are people who eat cooked food all the time, they seem to LOVE IT? So it all depends on how you define the RFD yourself. Myself, I define the RFD as RAW!

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 09:03:37 am »
If you post your state, region, or whatever locale you're in on the personals forum, you might be near enough to a forum member to get a raw source or an invite! Two years with weekly moves can cover a lot of ground, so keep us posted.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk