Author Topic: multiple times freezing, unfreezing, and refreezing raw beef fat  (Read 6372 times)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Hey everyone. I'm sick of fowl tasting and smelling raw beef fat because its been sitting in my fridge for to long.

I want to cut up one jars worth, freeze what's left. Then unfreeze and fill another jar when I run out. Then refreeze it.

Will that denature it in any way, more than initial freezing?

Can I freeze mason jars without them breaking?

Thanks in advance.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

CitrusHigh

Re: multiple times freezing, unfreezing, and refreezing raw beef fat
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 06:52:09 am »
What up bruva!

You can freeze masons as much as you want, only if you have liquid in there it can't be full or it will expand during freezing and shatter, with fat you should be fine.

You can freeze and unfreeze your fat but you will probably be doing damage to it, not near as much as you would be to something with a high water content like muscle or organ meats. Fat is pretty stable, so if you were going to choose something to freeze and unfreeze, that would be your best bet.

I wouldn't get too hung up on it, better to freeze it and make it last longer than to be bummed over wasted food.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 07:36:28 am »
Great. I get it sentt to me unfrozen.

So I'll cut it up and fill the jars. Then freeze the jars.

Thnx.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 09:20:18 am »
I've done this with no problem, too. My preferred way is to hang the fat in my refrigerator. The outer layer forms a dry skin, the inner part is yummy. I do this with a 3-pound chunk of backfat. If I got more fat at once, I'd freeze it because I wouldn't want it to get too dried out. Also there's the paper-bag storage method with fat that is mentioned elsewhere on this forum.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 10:02:21 am »
I've done this with no problem, too. My preferred way is to hang the fat in my refrigerator. The outer layer forms a dry skin, the inner part is yummy. I do this with a 3-pound chunk of backfat. If I got more fat at once, I'd freeze it because I wouldn't want it to get too dried out. Also there's the paper-bag storage method with fat that is mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

I wish I could try hanging it but my dad wouldn't be ok with that. It looks like I'll be freezing the jars.

Offline jameweights

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 11:13:18 pm »
I have just purchased a couple of kilos from a local farm! I will portion it out ... about 50g a day, so can it safely be frozen?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk